Masahiro and Mokkun.Shōnen Onmyōji
is a light novel authored by Mitsuru Yūki with illustrations done by Sakura Asagi. The novel is currently serialized in Kadokawa Shoten's The Beans
and currently has 25 volumes, including three short stories and a side story.
adaptation of the light novels was later produced, written by Hinoko Seta and published by Kadokawa Shoten in the magazine Monthly Asuka
. First published on August 25, 2005, the manga is ongoing.
A further anime
adaptation titled Shōnen Onmyoji: The Young Spirit Master
, was later produced as well. Created by Studio Deen under the direction of Kunihiro Mori, the anime ran from October 3, 2006, to March 27, 2007, spanning 26 episodes.
The plot of all incarnations is set in the Heian era of Japan and follows Abe no Masahiro. He is the grandson of the great onmyōji, Abe no Seimei, though Masahiro lacks the ability to see spirits. The series follows Masahiro's quest to overcome being trapped in the shadow of his grandfather's image while fulfilling his promise to protect Princess Akiko of the Fujiwara clan and stop the hordes of demons invading Japan.
Tropes associated with this work:
- Action Hero Babysitter: Guren took care of Masahiro when he was young.
- Ax-Crazy: Kyuuki and his minions.
- Badass Adorable: Masahiro, Mokkun, Taiin, and Genbu.
- Berserk Button: If you ever try to hurt Masahiro.... you better run away, because Guren will totally kick your ass.
- Don't call Masahiro "Seimei's grandson", either.
- Same goes to calling Mokkun a mononoke.
- Dark and Troubled Past: If anything, Guren's should count. Masahiro's, too.
- Damsel in Distress: Akiko.
- The Determinator: Masahiro, Guren, Seimei, and many others.
- Guardian Angel: Guren acts something like this towards Masahiro, whom he's sworn to protect.
- Famous Ancestor: Masahiro is the grandson of the famous onmyōji, Abe no Seimei.
- Fiery Redhead: Guren. 'Nuff said.
- HeelFaceTurn: Kazane
- Hot-Blooded: Despite his looks, Masahiro is this.
- I Can Still Fight: Masahiro uses this a lot.
- In-Series Nickname: Masahiro is "Seimei's Grandson" and Guren is "Mokkun" (and sometimes "Touda").
- Actually, Touda is his original/true name; Guren is the name Seimei gave him.
- Jerkass: Fujiwara no Toshitsugu, though he gets better.
- Kid Hero: Masahiro.
- Morality Pet: Masahiro was more or less this to Guren.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The Hyakki-yakou.
- The Legions of Hell
- Older Than They Look: Seimei's twelve shikigami.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Poor Communication Kills: Oh lordy, Guren is mind controlled by Ryuusai and almost maims Seimei against his will. Once he snaps out of it, the shikigami come and...assume Guren attacked him on purpose, not even giving him time to clarify/explain the situation! This would have been avoided if they didn't jump to conclusions and actually let Guren talk!
- Yandere: Fujiwara no Keiko. Going as far as offering herself to demons, people?
- Youngest Child Wins: Masahiro is the most powerful of all his siblings.