Re:Monster is a Japanese light novel written by Kanekiru Kogitsu.
Tomokui Kanata was a powerful human, in his first life that is. Now that he has died, he finds himself re-incarnated into the body of a newborn goblin named Rou. The only things left from his previous life are his memories and the ability to eat anything. By doing so Goburou absorbs the special abilities of his food. Will this ability be enough to allow him to live in this new world where survival is king?
Now has a character page
Re:Monster contains examples of:
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: The Nenekaruri knife that Aoi uses to kill Goburou as a human, it can cut at the molecular level, it also doubles as a stun blade.
- All Webbed Up: Goburou can create spider thread from his fingers after eating a demon spider.
- Bat out of Hell: The seven color bats that Goburou's party comes across early on.
- Beast Man: Many monster species from Orcs to Kobolds fit under this trope. Those are just an example of the basic ones as many types are reserved for evolved forms.
- Brain Food: Goburou has a higher chance of gaining abilities by eating the brain or heart of a living being.
- Bound and Gagged: The most common use of the spider thread that Goburou uses.
- Cannibalism Superpower: Goburou gains permanent access to the abilities he consumes, and can even make them stronger over time.
- Carry a Big Stick: The first weapon of choice for Gobukichi is a crude wooden club.
- Child by Rape: Goblins use this as their main means of reproducing, mostly because female goblins have a low fertility rate.
- Death Glare: Goburou's ability [Snake Eyes] and several others work off of this principle.
- Dumb Muscle: Gobukichi plays this roll when partied with Goburou.
- Evolution Powerup: How the [Rank Up] system works. Upon reaching level one hundred of that stage a monster class can evolve into a new form. This is repeated each time the monster reaches one hundred again.
- Explosive Breeder: Goblin's develop fast and in numbers when breeding with another species.
- Extreme Omnivore: Goburou is a type two, his esper ability [Consumption] allows this.
- Horn Attack: Horned rabbits are known to Impale young goblins.
- Improvised Weapon: Goburou takes the horn of an appropriately named horned rabbit, to use as his weapon of choice during his first month as a goblin.
- Long-Range Fighter: Gobumi fights with long range weapons almost exclusively.
- Poisonous Person: Goburou gains the ability to secrete poison from his body after eating a night viper.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Goburou's hair grows as he evolves from a [Hobgoblin: Subspecies] to an [Ogre: Rare Variant]
- Reincarnation: How Goburou starts his journey, with complete memories of his human self to boot.
- RPG Elements: The world works this way, from levels to item descriptions when something is obtained.
- Screw You, Elves!: An Elven noble "negotiates" aka orders Goburou and his goblins to join him and his elves against the humans for attacking his village. Goburou politely declines, citing he has no animosity with the humans since they haven't attack his tribe but will help the elves in the future. The Elven noble, offended that a lowly creature refuses to obey him, tries to attack Goburou only for the latter to give him a fist to the noble's face.
- Skill Point Reset: Goburou loses all of his previous abilities save [Consumption] by being reincarnated.
- Yandere: Aoi stalked Goburou in his human life, even to other planets. She then killed him in his previous world.