Light Novel: Momo Kyun Sword
Fight over peaches.
Momoko is a beautiful young sword fighter who was born inside a peach (momo in Japanese). She lives with her constant companions—the dog god Inugami, the monkey god Sarugami, and the pheasant god Kijigami—in a peaceful paradise. However, an Oni army led by the King of The Oni and his daughter Onihime (Demon Princess), invades the paradise and steals the precious treasure that protects Momoko's land. To retrieve the treasure and save the people, Momoko embarks on a great adventure with her three companions and a four girl group of Celestial Maidens.
A Japanese light novel series by Kibidango Project, based on the Japanese folklore hero Momotarō. The light novel began serialization for free online in 2012. It features multiple illustrators who are rotated on a monthly basis. A "second season" of the light novel began serialization in 2013. A 4-panel
manga series is also serialized online for free. An anime television series adaptation by Tri-Slash and Project No.9 began airing in July 2014.
- A-Cup Angst: Karin and maybe Maron, its hard to tell with her.
- All Men Are Perverts:
- The guys, even the serious-looking Abe no Senmei, are shown to be enjoying themselves waaaaay too much during episode 4, especially when the squid takes away all the girls' swimsuits.
- Senmei's perversity comes to the fore during the less serious episodes, and in episode 8 his assistant admits that he gets called a pervert a lot more than he gets respected as the Emperor's court sorcerer.
- All Your Powers Combined: In episode eleven Momoko is able to fuse with all three of her god companions.
- Anachronism Stew: If the modern-looking swimsuits during episode 4 weren't a clue enough, episode 6 references modern Japanese idol culture wholesale, with Heian-era samurai becoming wota-equivalents, the Celestial Maiden squad being turned into an idol unit, debut concerts. Heck even Abe no Senmei gets in on the act, pretty much browbeating Kaguya-hime into lending her moon technology to make said concert possible... Then there's the implication that Enki keeps a vibrator of all things.
- Balloon Belly: Both Momo and Onihime gain one after their eating contest in episode 2.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: The few times breasts are fully exposed with no convenient obscuring, nips are nowhere to be seen.
- Beach Episode: Episode 4 where the Oni clan and Celestial Maiden squad are both unable to locate a Momo No Michimi fragment so decide to call a truce and enjoy a day at the beach together.
- Berserk Button: Momoko and Onihime both share the same button, hurting those they care about.
- After hitting it once by hurting Enki in a battle Momoko refrains from attacking the Oni generals directly instead just blasting them away, ala Team Rocket.
- Clothing Damage: Happens to Momoko's clothes whenever her fusion fails or ends due to her getting distracted. In episode 2 Onihime intentionally cuts Momoko's clothes to emphasize how faster she is; after fusing with Sarugami Momoko pays her back and destroys part of her clothing.
- Cool Big Sis: Enki for Onihime. Kijigami for Momoko.
- Country Mouse: Momoko certainly acts this way during the second episode.
- Crystal Ball: Karin has one that tells her where magical peach shards are and warns of danger.
- Daddy's Little Villain: Onihime is very proud of her father, Jyakiō The Oni King, who has managed to bring all the Oni clans together and its her hope to be as great as he is one day. Though how much of a villain he is, is up for debate since he was the one that told her that if she does something wrong she needs to apologize. He is also shown to respect Onihime's decisions as long as Onihime doesn't regret them, even if said decision helps their enemies.
- Dismantled MacGuffin: The Oni clan, Celestial Maidens, and others are searching for fragments of the Momo no Michimi, the fragments themselves can give a person or thing extraordinary power. All together the Oni hope to have enough power to restore themselves to their former power.
- Eating Contest: Momo and Onihime engage in one, all for a single dumpling stick. You read that right.
- Edible Theme Naming: The Celestial Maiden squad are all named after fruits (Ringo = apple, Maron = green melon, Suika = watermelon, Karin = a type of pear), which is why Momoko (a peach) fits right in.
- Elemental Powers: The Celestial Maiden Squad all use a specific element.
- Friendly Enemy: Its frequently shown the the Oni clan and Celestial Maiden Squad can get along just fine when there's nothing to make them fight one another. Onihime and Momoko even show that outside of battle they could be best friends.
- Fog of Doom: The Oni general Youki, uses a poisonous fog to make his enemies become confused and weakened.
- Fusion Dance: Momoko fuses with one of her animal companions for a power boost, though if they aren't of one mind it results in an explosion.
- Gainaxing: Water balloons jiggle less then Momoko's peaches.
- Genki Girl: Onihime, probably even more so then Momoko, who herself fits the trope pretty well.
- Going Commando: All the girls, for a good chunk of episode 8, due to their underwear getting stolen.
- Go Karting with Bowser:
- The entirety of episode 4 is devoted to both sides of the Michimi Peach Fragment hunt having fun at the beach.
- Ditto for episode 8, where Momo and her friends, the Celestial Maiden Squad (and their bosses), and Onihime with Enki, spend the bulk of it relaxing together at a hot spring.
- Heavy Voice: Momo and Onihime after their eating contest.
- Hot Springs Episode: The entirety of episode 8, and unlike the beach episode, there's nary a connection to the fragment-collection plot.
- Idiot Hero: Momoko's not the brightest bulb around, but she makes up for it with earnestness and persistence.
- Interspecies Romance: Momoko and Onihime's parents were an Oni, father, and a Celestial Maiden, mother.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Onihime constantly in the third episode, as she tries to remind Enki to try to tone things down, and not do things that wouldn't be allowed to be broadcast lest they get the show in trouble.
- Lethal Chef: Sumeragi's cooking tastes horrible. As Maron puts it, her skills and sense of taste can be described as "murderous".
- Long-Lost Relative: Momoko was Separated at Birth from her twin, Onihime, when their Celestial Maiden mother tried to escape the Celestial Plains after its residents discovered she had children with an Oni.
- Male Gaze: Lots of shots of chests and asses.
- Multiform Balance: Momoko's fusions with her companions all have a different focus.
- Inugami: Carries an ono, focuses on sheer power.
- Sarugami: Uses twin claws, focuses on speed.
- Kijigami: Uses a bow and can fly, focuses on wide-area ranged attacks.
- Mushroom Cloud: Peach cloud actually, happens when Momoko's fusions fail.
- Noble Demon: Onihime, and the Oni general, who are shown to genuinely care for one another and are quite nice when not fighting for a Momo No Michimi fragment.
- Non-Identical Twins: Momoko and Onihime.
- Psycho Lesbian: Enki, she seems to get off on the screams of her enemies, though she also seems to get off on comforting them as well.
- Though Genki is also a frequent victim of hers, pushing her towards Depraved Bisexual.
- Reluctant Fanservice Girl: Downplayed, while Momoko has no problem with her Stripperiffic outfits. She does get rather embarrassed after the Clothing Damage and having her breasts exposed.
- The Rival: Momoko and Onihime become this the moment they meet one another, this is before either one knows the other's identity.
- Onihime becomes frustrated when Youki keeps beating Momoko and is shown smiling when Momoko finally beats him.
- Shapeshifter Default Form: Kijigami is able to turn into a buxom human form if she wishes, its unknown if Inu and Saru can do so as well though its likely. It seems they prefer their animal forms though.
- Shrinking Violet: Karin, which is bad because she is the navigator of the group, by time she's managed to voice that danger is ahead people will have already walked into it.
- Single Gender Race: Onihime tells Momoko that other than herself and Enki all Oni are males.
- Something We Forgot: Everyone forgets about Kushinada, who by the end of episode 4 has drifted closer to Hawaii than the Japanese mainland.
- The Sixth Ranger: Momoko becomes this for the Celestial Maiden squad.
- The Stoic: Maron, threats of death or tentacle rape don't even manage to change her expression.
- Talking Animal: Momo's three companions, though in this case it's merited, as they're not simply animals, but kami watching over Momoko.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Hilariously subverted during episode 4. The squid certainly does not wait for the Celestial Maiden Squad to finish talking before it attacks them.
- True Companions: The Celestial Maiden Squad, they may bicker and argue but they are strong friends.
- Token Evil Teammate: Youki is proving to be this for the Oni, while all the other generals have morals, a close bond with one another and obviously care about Onihime, Youki has none of this and goes out of his way to make sure Momoko suffers.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Sumeragi's assistant, Kushinada, who use to be a human shrine maiden but was sacrificed, now as a Celestial Maiden she is obsessed with being sacrificed, which comes across as an extreme S&M fetish.
- Despite being mostly an S, it seems Enki enjoys being an M on occasion as well.
- Tsundere: Onihime, despite declaring herself Momoko's enemy, it's pretty obvious they like each other.
- Villainous Friendship: Onihime with the other Oni generals, especially Enki.
- White and Grey Morality: While Momoko and company are on the Good side, the Oni faction is a little more Grey. Especially since their main face comes in the form of Onihime, who is shown to be caring to her fellow Oni and with the rise of a more dark and mysterious faction, the Oni's actually come across as rather human.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The Celestial Maiden Squad have hair colors that reference the fruits they're named after. Averted with the native Japanese characters like Momo and Abe no Senmei, who have black hair. Momoko's hair color and length changes when she preforms a Possession Fusion, Pale Blue with Inugami, Blond and short with Sarugami, and Green with Kijigami. Her hair also turns pink when fusing with all three of them.