Light Novel: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
The eponymous characters, as they appear in the Light Novels
Hero: What is this, an evil ritual?
Demon Queen: No. It’s an economic study on the benefits of war as a large consumption market.
In a world of fantasy and magic, two opposing realms- the Human World and the Demon World- have been at war with each other for the last fifteen years. With both sides locked in a stalemate, one lone Hero
goes on an epic quest into the heart of the Demon World to slay its ruler
and bring peace to the world.
That was until the Demon Queen, reigning Overlord of the Demon World, confronts him with a surprisingly well-researched and rational truth: that both sides are so deeply entrenched in the war effort that an abrupt end would cause more harm than good. Neither side stands to prosper from a victory (the losers will be enslaved while the winners will likely break out into civil war over the spoils), and extending the war indefinitely would just feed the greed and corruption festering in both nations.
And so the Hero and the Demon Queen enter into an elaborate long con, secretly working together to manipulate both sides of the war effort to the point where it can be safely concluded with the least amount of negative repercussions to both sides. Hilarity Ensues
.Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
("Evil Overlord and Hero") is a fantasy light novel series written by Touno Mamare. Originally posted as an original story on 2ch
, the story had such a positive response that Mamare converted it into a light novel series. Currently, there are five novels (divided in 43 webnovels) and five manga adaptations:
- Maoyuu Maou Yuusha ("Evil Overlord and Hero"): Running on Famitsu Comic Clear. The relatively more serious adaptation. This series is considered the "official" manga adaptation of the light novels, both published by Enterbrain.
- Maoyuu Maou Yuusha "Kono Watashi no Mono to Nare, Yuusha yo" "Kotowaru!" ("Become Mine, Hero!" "I Refuse!""): Running in Comp Ace. The more lighthearted adaptation, but the focus is the same as the original. While not the "official" manga adaptation, it is one of the more popular ones and is the preferred version by the author of the original novel.
- Maoyuu Maou Yuusha — Oka no Mukou e ("Beyond the Hill"): Running on Champion RED. This one is centered around interactions and romance, leaving most of the business management aside.
- Maoyuu 4-Koma: Muitemasen yo, Maou-sama! ("I Can't Face You, Demon King!"): Running on the series official website. Total comedy; all characters are portrayed in the way of Character Exaggeration here.
- Maoyuu Maou Yuusha Gaiden: A Spin-Off running on Monthly Shonen Sirius. Centered around Witch Girl's adventures departed from the original party.
A Drama CD is also out as well and both the webnovels and light novels are currently being translated
Prior to the official adaptations, a fan-made manga was also posted on Nico Nico Douga
(you can watch it with English subtitles here
An anime adaptation aired in the Winter 2013 Anime
season, and can be watched on Crunchyroll
if you live in North America, South America, Ireland, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, or the Netherlands.
Compare to The Devil is a Part-Timer!
Tropes used in this series include: