Kisaragi Shintaro is a typical shut in
: he refuses to leave the house, has an unhealthy addiction to the internet, and doesn't have a job nor any plans of getting one from the outside world. A year into this lifestyle he receives a mysterious e-mail which installed Ene — a strange cyber-girl program
which seemed to have her own sense of self — onto his computer. She is quick to declare Shintaro as her 'master' and has made the young HikiNEET's life a living hell ever since.
A year after meeting this enigmatic being, Shintaro decides to try and earn some money by producing music with a voice synthesizer program
. Soon after beginning the composition of one song, however, Ene goes out of her way to tease the poor guy and prank him, resulting in a broken keyboard and mouse. Since it was a holiday, he would have to wait two days before he could get a new computer through online shopping... so now he had to choose: Wait and live without internet until the holiday passes, or go outside and buy one himself.
Deciding that there was no way he could survive without internet, he leaves the house for the first time in two years.Kagerou Days -in a daze-
is a novel written by song producer Jin(Shizen no Teki-P), and is a part of a series called the Kagerou Project
. A sequel to the novel, Kagerou Days -a headphone actor-
, was released on September 29, 2012 and the third volume, Kagerou Days -the children reason-
, was released on May 30, 2013. The fourth volume, Kagerou Days -the missing children-
, was released on August 29, 2013. A manga based on the novels is currently being published monthly on Comic Gene, and an anime
begain airing on April 12th, 2014.
Much of the background of the characters in the novel are told in the songs
for the series, so it's highly recommended that you check them out.Now has a character page.Please only list down tropes from the novel and manga here. If it refers to the series as a whole, the anime adaptation, or any of the songs, please list them down on their respective pages
Kagerou Days contains examples of
- Adorable Evil Minions / Grotesque Cute: Lampshaded by Takane. For his and Tateyama-sensei's video game, Haruka drew cute animal minions that splattered blood quite graphically blood on the screen.
- Adorkable: Kido.
- As of the fifth novel, Kano could probably count too.
- Ambiguously Human: Konoha. Turns out that he's technically the once human Haruka Kokonose with a new, artificial body.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: At the end of Headphone Actor, Takane says she loves Haruka.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Almost all of the children with eye powers.
- Big Brother Instinct: Shintaro. He might fight with Momo, but he is very protective of her.
- Big Eater: Haruka, who during the food festival, picked out so much food, each individual one could serve as meals
- Book Dumb: Takane.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Shintaro actually has an IQ of 168!
- Butt Monkey: Shintaro, and chapter 19 revealed Hibiya to be one as well. They both felt sorry for each other.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Haruka.
- Cosmic Retcon: Chapter 18, after the deaths of Ene, Kido, Seto, Kano. Shintaro somehow relives chapter one with a twist. Instead of breaking his computer, he ruins his pet rabbit's food and goes with Momo to buy more food, meeting Hiyori and Hibiya.
- Cowardly Lion: Shintaro.
- End of the World as We Know It: The "Headphone Actor" chapters.
- Evil All Along: Kenjirou.
- Foreshadowing: When Hibiya was sewing his all-new "Hiyori doll", he accidentally pricks the back with the needle. During the "Groundhog Day" Loop, this happens to be one of the many deaths the real Hiyori suffers
- Perpetual Smiler: Haruka, every scene was in, he was smiling.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: Non-romantic example: Hiyori mistakes Shintaro for Momo's boyfriend in chapter 19 of the manga.
- Hikikomori: Again, Shintaro.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Momo before she met The Mekakushi Dan.
- Ill Girl: Takane and Haruka. Thus the reason why they are both put in special classes where there are few students so as to allow special care from their teachers.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ene, while she is a troll towards to Shintaro, she does feel sorry if she feels she went too far. And does care for his well-being, as shown as after she was turned into Ene, she went to find Shintaro based on Ayano's words.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: Shintaro initially thought that Kido was a guy.
- Race for Your Love: Takane ran for Haruka (who had been hospitalized) to tell him her feelings before the world would end. Sadly, she didn't make it.
- My Sister Is Off Limits: Shintaro did not react well, when Kano seemed to be asking Seto, what he thought of Momo.
- Nice Guy: Seto.
- No Social Skills: Shintaro due to being a hikkikomori is very shy at first.
- Oblivious to Love: Shintaro, he didn't realize that Hibiya liked Hiyori.
- School Festival: Takane, Haruka and Kenjirou had been preparing for this throughout the "Yuukei Yesterday" chapters.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Chapter 19, Hiyori thinks Momo and Shintaro are dating. They blurt out this trope out of disgust.
- Shipper on Deck: Momo for Hibiya and Hiyori
- Slasher Smile: Kuroha gives a good one in chapter 18.
- Skirt over Slacks: Takane.
- Terrorists Without a Cause: The terrorists that take over the mall that Shintaro was in.
- Troll: Ene towards Shintaro and Kano in general.
- Tsundere: Ene, when she still was Takane, was this towards Haruka.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Ene.