Light Novel: Etsusa Bridge
Etsusa Bridge is a series about an abandoned artificial island in the middle of a giant bridge, long forgotten by its creators. It is now a lawless home to societal drop-outs, runaways, organized crime families, serial killers and its own generation of children, the island becomes the stage on which many people come and go to live out their stories.Part of Ryohgo Narita’s overarching Verse of light novels that includes Vamp!, Baccano!, Durarara!!, and Hariyama-san, the Etsusa Bridge series is chronologically the last series in the verse, and is complete with 4 volumes and 1 collection of short stories.
Tropes in Etsusa Bridge include:
- Animal Motifs: The first volume, Bow Wow! ~Two Dog Night~, is centered around two characters that are likened to dogs. The title of the second volume is Mew Mew! ~Crazy Cat's Night in reference to Jun Sahara being called the "Kitten of the Eastern District".
- Animal Theme Naming: The above aforementioned characters (Hayato Inui and Seiichi Kugi) both have kanji relating to dogs in their names.
- Bad Ass
- Clueless Detective: Charlotte. If not for Sherlock, they probably wouldn't even be in business.
- Floating Continent: Limited to just an island, but still counts.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Par for the course for one of Narita's works.
- Cast of Snowflakes: Especially impressive considering that none of the characters have any supernatural elements to them, unlike Narita's other Light Novels.
- Made of Iron: Kuzuhara, but his bullet-proof gloves and coat help with that image.
- Multicolored Hair: Hayato has rainbow dyed hair, which comes back to bite him a couple of times, just because it's so recognizable.
- Odd Name Out: Look at the list of Naritaverse works. Etsusa Bridge is the only one with A) more than one word, and B) no exclamation points, until the release of Hariyama-san.
- Overly Long Name: Gitarin's names are not only extremely long, but also constantly changing. Names include "Char de Grandeur Ratzfend Zorba Gitarin Santamaria Redrum Masamune" and "Levert Lowe Sturbaiken Gitarin Chloroclad Kagenomiya the 666th".
- Rule of Cool
- Signature Laugh: Kelly’s ever-present “Heehahahaha!”.
- The Verse: Directly connected to Durarara!!, and said to be set 15-20 years after it.
- Tsundere: Lihuang has been shown to have some Tsundere-like feelings towards Charlotte.
- Wretched Hive: The floating island appears to be this.