Light Novel: Dog & Scissors
Kazuhito Harumi is a high school boy who is obsessed with reading books, especially those by Shinobu Akiyama. One day, he is killed in the middle of a robbery and resurrected as a dachshund dog. In his new form, the helpless Kazuhito now belongs to said novelist, whose real name is Kirihime Natsuno, and who uses scissors to abuse him.Dog & Scissors
(Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyō
), is Japanese light novel series created by Shunsuke Sarai and illustrated by Tetsuhiro Nabeshima. It airs as a part of the Summer 2013 Anime
season. The light novel series is ongoing, and there is no word of a second season will premier.
Viewers can legally view this series on Crunchyroll
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Kirihime's scissors can cut through a rocket-propelled grenade.
- A-Cup Angst: The main reason why Kazuhito is tortured because he keeps snarking at Kirihime's chest.
- Adorkable: Yes, we know Natsuno is a bitch. Which is why it's so damn cute to see her get all embarrassed and shy about her feelings.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Kirihime, most of the time.
- Always in Class One: Kazuhito was in class 2-A.
- Apologizes a Lot: Hami
- Badass Longcoat: Kirihime has one.
- Battle Aura: Kirihime's is red. Maxi's is light blue.
- Berserk Button: Kirihime is usually vicious but only two things will bring on the full force of her wrath: talking about how flat-chested she is and putting Kazuhito in danger.
- Bookworm: Kazuhito.
- Boom, Headshot: How Kazuhito dies.
- But I Read A Book About It: Kazuhito's killer manages to weaponize Kirihime's fictional fighting styles.
- Catch Phrase: Maxi's "Shining!"
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Kirihime and Madoka for Kazuhito, oh boy.
- Clothing Damage: Sachi uses her blade to do this to Maxi's bodyguards, who end up in their underwear.
- The Empath: Kirihume is very in tune with how people act and feel regarding a particular situation. For example, she was able to correctly deduce Madoka's reasoning for her Yandere sequence.
- Expy: An intelligent and beautiful yet incredibly tsundere dark-haired girl, voiced by Marina Inoue, with a nasty personality and a penchant for verbally (and sometimes physically) abusing those closest to her including the boy she likes. Really? Really?
- The Faceless: Kazuhito's human face is never fully shown in his flashbacks.
- Gainaxing: Kazuhito mentions that, Kirihime's doesn't do this.
- Geeky Turn-On: When Kazuhito watches Kirihime read a book.
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: All over the place. Kirihime, Madoka, and Sachi.
- Gone Horribly Right: Suzuna gets Kirihime drunk to make her act nicer and it works.
- He Knows Too Much: Sachi gets caught twice by Kazuhito while she is singing and dancing and tries to kill him because he's a witness.
- Heroic Bystander: Saves Kirihime from a robber and dies in the process.
- Hime Cut: Kirihime
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Kirihime is protective over Kazuhito and saves him from people trying to hurt him, but she abuses him on a regular basis. When Sachi tries to kill him, she actually says "how dare you attack my dog".
- Idol Singer: Maxi
- Imagine Spot: Episode 12 has one featuring Kazuhito and Kirihime's wedding and honeymoon.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite her nasty personality, pleasing her readers is Kirihime's top priority. The other priority in her life is to protect Kazuhito from everybody but herself.
- Lampshade Hanging: Kazuhito calls Kirihime flat-chested in episode 12, and he remarks that this is about the time she usually starts cutting him.
- Large Ham: Maxi
- Lethal Chef: Madoka, who only knows how to makes curry and completely fails at it.
- When she tries again, she seems to have improved; since it actually smells good, he wants to try it, but runs away when he sees that the curry is bright blue. When he comes back home, the curry is rainbow colored and has a (blue) live frog in it. After Kazuhito tries it, he says he "saw the light at the end of the tunnel again." The next time, it looks like a volcano.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The writing contests.
- Named Weapons: Kirihime's scissors are named Hasajiro and Madoka calls her chainsaw Tuna Eater.
- Oblivious to Love: Kazuhito is a shining example. Despite Natsuno's increasingly obvious feelings for him (breaking into tangents on such subjects as what people would think if she "had a dog as [her] first"), he never seems to get it. Applies equally well to his sister as well, he doesn't seem to realize that her affection for him goes a little beyond the norm.
- Celibate Hero: Kazuhito does seem to be aware of Kirihime's affections, but for reasons he's stated before among the most obvious one, he plays stupid and goes for pissing her off instead.
- Oh Crap: Kazuhito gets this whenever he says, or even thinks, something he knows will make Kirihime angry.
- Plot Triggering Death: Kazuhito.
- Running Gag: Someone just making fun of Kirihime's lack of a chest and Kirihime whipping her scissors out of her holster
- Maxi attempting to show off how brightly she shines and Kirihime ignoring her until her manager drags her off.
- Shapeshifter Weapon: Madoka's "food proccessing knife'', which is actually a super powered chainsaw and a rifle built-in one.
- The name of the pet shop is Iggy and its logo looks a bit like Iggy from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
- Madoka rattles off 13 different ways to refer to her brother when they meet again, all of them used by the characters from Sister Princess. Bonus: Even the non-sister Mami's An-chan.
- Significant Anagram: "Huzimaki Hotaru" is an anagram of "Harumi Kazuhito", the protagonist's name. The pen name is used by Ami, as a way to honor Kazuhito's memory.
- Survivor Guilt: Kirihime after Kazuhito technically died protecting her.
- Telepathy: How Kirihime and Kazuhito can communicate. Possibly because she's the reason he died in the first place. Subverted with Madoka, Kazuhito's sister, who he thought could hear her but it only turns out that she's gone insane with grief and she can't hear him at all.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs: Kirihime tries to get Madoka to start calling her one-san.
- Suzuna for some reason can also communicate with him this way.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Suzuna, to the point where she is horrified at Kirihime threatening to act nice to her. She's also part of a club called The Masochist's order and prays to the God of Masochism.
- Tsundere: Kirihime is normally cool-headed, so she switches between giving him the cold shoulder and threatening to physically abuse him (and sometimes succeeding). Nevertheless, despite him being a dog, she really does seem to love him, and it's mostly seen in how flustered she gets when her feelings for him are brought up.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Kazuhito saves his killer because he loved books as much as he did.
- Woman in Black: Kirihime
- Yandere: Kirihime and Madoka, Kazuhito's little sister…
- Psychotic Love Triangle: Both have the hots for Kazuhito. Subverted, because Madoka calms down after Kirihime scolds and defeats her.
- Unknown Rival: Kirihime usually ignores Maxi.
- We Want Our Jerk Back: When Kirihime gets drunk in episode 12 and starts acting nice, Suzuna is horrified that she's not hurting her anymore and her M-gauge goes all the way down. Kazuhito is creeped out.
- Yangire: Kirihime counts as this, but Madoka fits this to a T after Kazuhito dies.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Kirihime.