"What if you could escape to an accelerated world?"
Faced with a Gang of Bullies
and a body that is not pretty
, Haruyuki Arita, a shy seventh-grade boy, finds escape from reality into a cyberspace
world maintained by his school. He loses himself in a virtual squash game no one else plays and holds all of its high scores. Until the day he finds his own scores topped by somebody else by a considerable amount of points.
This sets up Haruyuki into an encounter with "Kuroyukihime
", an enigmatic eighth-grader, School Idol
and Student Council Vice-President
of Umesato Junior High School — the girl who topped his squash scores — and offers him the opportunity to learn how to “accelerate to a faster world”. The "Brain Burst" program, downloaded directly to a neuro-link attached to the bottom of the skull, allows a person to make time appear to stand still
by "accelerating" their brainwaves; this can often be used as Hyper Awareness
, letting its users make decisions and strategies in seconds that normally take minutes. Unfortunately, there is a limit to how many times a person can accelerate. People with Brain Burst take Burst Points (BP) needed for acceleration from others by winning in a Fighting Game
. The only way to avoid being challenged is to not be connected to the same network, which, in a world where constant network connection is the norm, requires being very careful and a lot of willpower.
Once in the game, Haruyuki turns into Silver Crow, and, in gratitude for bringing him into this world, decides to use his abilities to complete Kuroyukihime's goal: reach Level 10 of Brain Burst and discover its purpose. The catch: this requires defeating the current leaders of the game: six Level 9 players who have led the world for over two years and will do anything to win because one loss at Level 9 means Brain Burst will permanently uninstall itself.
From the pen of Reki Kawahara (the same mind behind Sword Art Online
), Accel World
is an ongoing 2009 Light Novel
series published by ASCII Media Works and serialized in Dengeki Bunko, with illustrations by HiMA. It has a manga adaptation, illustrated by Hiroyuki Aigamo, in print since 2010, as well as two spinoffs: Axel World
, a 2010 yonkoma
series illustrated by Ryuryuu Akari, and Accel World / Dural: Magisa Garden
, a 2012 story illustrated by Ayato Sasakura focusing on the younger sister of a deceased member of Kuroyukihime's guild, Nega Nebulus.
A 2-cour anime adaptation aired starting from the Spring 2012 Anime
lineup, and has been licensed for streaming by Viz (which is sadly locked to Americans due to their use of Hulu
). Viz has also announced a dub that will run on Neon Alley
The light novels have been licensed by Yen Press
for a Western release.
Also has a Character Page under heavy construction here.
This series provides examples of:
- Absurdly High-Stakes Game: Not quite. Burst Linkers are granted special abilities in the real world, powered by Burst Points taken from defeated foes, but whoever ends with zero points are banned from the game and have all memories related to it erased, which may or not may be a good thing depending on whatever experiences you had there. Stakes are higher in "all points in" fights like those between Level 9 players.
- Absolute Cleavage: Kuroyukihime's net avatar does this. Not that it, or she, has much cleavage to show.
- Adorkable: Haruyuki.
- Adults Are Useless: Twice over.
- First off Haruyuki would not tell any adult about his bullying, so none of them interceded.
- Secondly no adult can Accelerate because one has to have the link installed since birth and the technology only came out around 15 years ago so the oldest persons who can accelerate are 15.
- Ambition Is Evil: Kuroyukihime is treated as the highest criminal in the Brain Burst world for trying to reach level 10 and disrupting the Balance of Power. Haruyuki tells her reaching for that goal is only normal.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: Kuroyukihime and Haruyuki right before she uses Physical Full Burst to prevent him from getting hit by a car.
- Animal Motifs: Kuroyukihime is heavily associated with butterflies, along with designing her public avatar as wearing a butterfly dress.
- The Apunkalypse: Inserting Ash Roller into the End of Century stage launches straight into this trope, at least as a visual motif.
- Augmented Reality: How users of Neuro-Linkers see the world. There are many applications including: vision correction, school work, camera, digital wallet, etc.
- Awesome McCoolname: Some avatars deserve credit as their names were not chosen by the players, but given by the game itself, like Silver Crow, Black Lotus, Scarlet Rain, Blood Leopard, Ash Roller, Blue Knight, and more. In the real world, we have names like Kuroyukihime (Black Snow Princess).
- However, the one who takes the prize of coolest name is without doubt Crimson Kingbolt. It's so cool he was instantly recruited by the Purple King into her Legion without knowing his ability was not a powerful lightning. In fact, (kingbolt is just a type of screw.)
- Balance of Power: Because of the risks involved with getting to level 10, the top players of Accel World have signed a peace treaty with each other and are perfectly happy to not try and "complete" the game. Kuroyukihime and now Haruyuki do not play by these rules and plan on upsetting the balance.
- Bash Brothers: Haruyuki and Takumu.
- Batman Gambit: Kuroyukihime pulls one to get Araya expelled.
- Battle Couple: Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime.
- Betty and Veronica: In the second ending of the Anime, Kuroyukihime acts as Betty while her net avatar is the Veronica.
- Be Yourself: Kuroyukihime and Chiyuri both try and convince Haruyuki that he has good points, and that he is not complete trash. He isn't buying it yet but only time will tell.
- Big Brother Is Watching: There are the Social Cameras, which are literally everywhere, and keep track of your movements 24/7... approaching Fridge Horror levels for some tropers.
- Big Damn Heroes: Just as Cyan Pile is about to be struck down by Dusk Taker, permanently, Black Lotus appears to save the day.
- Big "NO!": Episode 10, where Haruyuki got caught by Chiyuri while Kuroyukihime ties his necktie.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: The avatar of Black Lotus uses these (type 3 on both arms) to great effect.
- Bland-Name Product:
- Seen in Dural: Ncdonalds.
- Episode 15 has a suspicious search engine that has Google's color.
- Blatant Lies: When Haruyuki is asked by the School Newspaper News Hound if he is dating Black Snow. He says he was just fixing her Neurolink OS. Not a bad lie, but they see through it with further questioning.
- Blessed with Suck: When Haru becomes the 6th Generation Chrome Disaster. However, each subsequent generation from the first seems to be easier to defeat.
- It should be noted that during the first Disaster, there were NO level 9s. So each new generation being "easier" to defeat only meant that everybody else was becoming stronger.
- Also keep in mind that the previous Chrome Disasters were far more badass before being possessed. First Chrome Disaster had pseudo-teleportation and was *really* pissed. Second had possessed a dragon-like Duel Avatar with the ability to breathe flames. Third was a sword saint with skills second only to Blue Knight's. Fourth took a while to take down. Then came the fifth whose color is a mix between red and yellow, meaning he had low defense and poor melee damage. The Disaster makes you strong, but not invincible. Then came (Silver Crow as the 6th Chrome Disaster, who was weaker in terms of raw power because he did not give into insanity, yet better overall because he had a semblance of control and rationality allowing him to match elite Linkers like Iron Pound in 1 on 1)
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: Suffers from the same type of Good Bad Translation Trainwreck that populates Hellsinker, which is not a bad thing, but it could be better.
(final prompt for Sudden Death matches) ARE YOU VERY GOOD?
- Bloodless Carnage:
- Justified in that it's a game and they apparently didn't want to animate realistic blood from the fighters.
- Averted in the real world though when people are hurt they bleed. Not to unrealistic levels though.
- Bridal Carry: Silver Crow carries Black Lotus like this once.
- Bullet Time: An ability granted to all Burst Players. By spending burst points, one can speed up their thoughts in the real world so that a few seconds in real time take as long as 30 minutes. Normally, one cannot move during this period, and the program uses the brain's memory to extrapolate their surroundings; but this does give a distinct advantage to tests, stock market choices, strategies, etc. (Which is why most players don't want to finish the game.)
- Cain and Abel: Kuroyukihime and her sister, the White King White Cosmos.
- Calling Your Attacks: Cyan Pile's SPLASH STINGER. Happens a few other times.
- Let's not forget "Lightning Cyan Spike".
- Played for Laughs when Silver Crow was fighting Scarlet Rain, and names his final kick "Silver Crow's All-or-nothing Kick!"
- Car Fu: How the leader of the gang of bullies tries to murder Kuroyukihime and Haruyuki
- Cassandra Truth: Inverted; Haruyuki has positive traits, but he will not believe it when people tell him that.
- Cat Girl: Chiyuri's net avatar.
- Character Level: Pretty much like any RPG style manga.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Legendary Reins that Black Lotus got after beating Sulfer Pot, were later used to let her tame an Enemy which she rode for 15 hours from Okinawa to Tokyo, just in time for her Big Damn Heroes moment.
- Chest Blaster: Cyan Pile has missiles in his chest.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Haruyuki, Taku, and Chiyuri grew up in the same apartment complex. Chiyuri and Taku are dating, but Taku feels jealous and threatened by how close Chiyuri and Haruyuki still are. It's implied that this is another reason for his Start of Darkness and his use of Accel in his sports and academics to make himself that much better than Haruyuki.
- Childhood Friends: Haruyuki, Taku, and Chiyuri.
- Circle of Shame: Episode 1 of anime, in one segment of more surrealistic depictions of Haruyuki's laments about his life in general.
- Classical Anti-Hero: Haruyuki is a loser at the start.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Kuroyukihime shows signs of this.
- The Purple King, Purple Thorn, who reacts to every little interaction Red Rider has to Black Lotus.
- Code Name: Being about a game world, most people use "user names" to refer each other.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: You can have a basic idea of what strengths your opponent has by the color included in their user name. The closer to a "pure" color, the more focus is given on a particular fighting style.
- The "kings" of the game are pure blue, red, yellow, green, purple, white, and black.
- Haru's avatar is silver, and his fighting style is centered on his unique ability to fly.
- Color-Coded Time Stop : The anime uses blue.
- Continuity Nod/Mythology Gag: Episode 22 shows a Nervgear helm, which is explicitly stated to have been the precursor to Neuro-Linkers.
- Contralto of Danger: Yuniko (AKA Scarlet Rain) puts up an act with a high pitched voice to seem cute so she can get closer to Haruyuki, but when she drops that facade her normal speaking tone is much more deep, gruff, and angry to emphasize her Little Miss Badass and Cute and Psycho character traits.
- Cool Bike: Haruyuki's first fight pits him against a Ghost Rider wannabe, Ash Roller.
- The Corruption: Taku got it from using Brain Burst too much for his academics and sports.
- Even more accurate examples are Chrome Disasters, until the 5th one.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Silver Crow vs Ash Roller round one. Haruyuki didn't know how to play yet, and was crushed because of it.
- Cute and Psycho: Niko.
- Cyberspace: Which doubles as an Amazing Technicolor Battlefield.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Physical Full Burst.
- Incarnation attacks count as well. They're so secret the players are not supposed to realize the technique even exists without external assistance. The reason for their status as this trope is because an incarnation technique gone wrong is what gave birth to the Chrome Disaster; hence the Kings' unwritten rules banning first-use except in self-defense against another user.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Kuroyukihime.
- David Versus Goliath: Silver Crow vs Cyan Pile, level 1 vs level 4.
- The Red King (the best long range lv 9) vs Silver Crow (lv 4).
- Early on there is also Silver Crow vs Ash Roller. Twice. (complete newbie vs level 1, then level 1 rematch vs a newly minted level 2).
- In the Light Novels it's mentioned many times that unless you invest your Level Up Bonus there is almost no difference between levels. Thus, a level 1 can match a level 3 as long as their combat skills are roughly the same, and there's almost no difference between level 4 and 5. However, those in the upper brass (level 7 and above) have far more combat experience and are specialized, making it a stretch to defeat them. Thus we have for example...
- Silver Crow (Level 5) vs Black Lotus (Level 9)
- Silver Crow (Level 5) vs Iron Pound (Level 7)
- Silver Crow (Level 5) vs Argon Array (Level 8)
- Declaration of Protection: Kuroyukihime to Haruyuki before the Diving Save from a car.
- Deep-Immersion Gaming: Every game that has been seen thus far, but specifically the Brain Burst Fighting Game. They even seem to feel pain while fighting.
- Defeat Means Friendship: With the promise of admitting their mistake, and trying to atone for them.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Niko.
- Determinator: Haruyuki will not give up a net fight after he learned how. He got his arm and leg blown off fighting someone three levels higher than him and he would not back down.
- Despair Event Horizon: The death of Saffron Blossom at the hands of those whom she was trying to help with the Destiny caused Chrome Falcon to go insane with rage and combine with Incarnate System the Starcaster and the Destiny into the Disaster.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When Kuroyukihime gets the Gang of Bullies expelled their leader tries to murder her and Haruyuki.
- Distracted by the Sexy: During a doubles match of virtual tennis with Kuroyukihime and Chiyu, Haru and Taku are unable to concentrate on the game by the constant possibility of a Panty Shot thanks to the girls' tennis skirts.
- Diving Save: Haruyuki is saved by Kuroyukihime.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?/Attempted Rape: It is often said that wire connection only occurs with lovers or close friends. You can imagine what Noumi forcing Chiyu to connect with him means.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Haruyuki does not like the idea at all that his friends are pitying him.
- Erotic Dream: Haruyuki is glad he does not have the app that records dreams after this.
- Eureka Moment: Haruyuki figures out who Cyan Pile is.
- Eyelid Pulltaunt: Chiyuri being adorable.
- Evil Plan: Inverted. The plot is driven by Kuroyukihime's desire to complete the game which means she's the one stirring up conflict in the Brain Burst community.
- Expy: In some way, Chiyuri can be compared to Orihime Inoue. Both are Genki Girl, believed to be the love interest of the hero, joined the Big Bad when in fact, never on that side all along, and lastly, voiced by Stephanie Sheh.
- Face-Heel Turn: Chiyuri fools everyone into thinking this during the Dusk Taker arc.
- Fake Defector: Chiyuri in the Dusk Taker arc.
- Fetish: Kuroyukihime seemed worried that Haruyuki might check out her legs during their first use of Brain Burst.
- After Haruyuki grabs Niko's ankles (her heel in the anime) to keep her from kicking him, she accuses him of "fooling around" with her feet. This becomes a Running Gag later on.
- He later actually does develop a fetish for feet.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Cyan Pile (Fighter), Silver Crow (Thief), and Lime Bell (Mage).
- Flanderization: The characters' traits and characteristics are exaggerated/altered beyond belief in the "Specials".
- Flight: A big deal in the Accel World. Haruyuki is the first to have a flying avatar.
- "I want to fly up."
- Notice how Chiyu's 'healing' ability depletes her target's special gauge? She's really reversing time, rather than healing them.
- On top of that, whenever she uses her ability, you hear the sound of bells, similar to those of a clock, and on at least one occasion clockwork gears are visible inside the cannon itself.
- As Rust Jigsaw is entering the net cafe at the end of episode 21 he passes by a poster of a character dressed as Snow White. Given who leads the Acceleration Research Society and that person's relation to Kuroyukihime (Princess Snow Black)...
- When Crikin hands her the Mystical Reins Enhanced Armament, Black Lotus rejects it, saying she has no use for it. He insists, including mentioning some enemies that could be tamed with it( flying horses). Mana also suggests that she would soon have need of it.
- In the next to last episode, her Big Damn Heroes moment comes with her riding in on, you guessed it, a flying horse.
- The Four Gods: The supreme bosses of the Accel World, found in the Very Definite Final Dungeon.
- The Four Loves: Chiyuri basically agreed to return Taku's romantic love in order to keep his friendship, and only when Haruyuki promised not to leave.
- Gang of Bullies: Haruyuki is tormented by these everyday until Kuroyukihime gets them arrested with a Batman Gambit.
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: Kuroyukihime tries to slap the Angst and self hatred out of Haruyuki.
- And again to Cyan Pile when she challenges him to a fight.
- Give Geeks a Chance: The relationship between Haru and Kuroyukihime. That said, this is a bit of an unusual example in that Kuroyukihime was the one smitten by Haru instead of the inverse.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: Haru's wings look vaguely like an angel's. When Dusk Taker steals his flying ability and uses it, his wings look like a bat's.
- Gotta Kill Them All: The only way to get to level 10 is to Player Kill all other level 9s. (Thus permanently uninstalling Brain Burst from them.)
- Specifically, according to the wiki, one has to kill 5 level 9 players, meaning five of the Seven Kings of Color must be beaten.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Kuroyukihime does not appreciate the closeness that Haruyuki and Chiyuri share. Not that Haruyuki could understand that until someone flat out told him she was jealous. Even then he was confused and he literally looked up the word.
- Haruyuki and Chiyuri's relationship is a sore point with Taku as well.
- Chiyuri is jealous that Kuroyukihime and Haruyuki had a direct connection among other things.
- After Kuroyukihime lost her connection cable which she used to connect with Haruyuki, she bought the shortest one she could find. Supposedly because she didn't have money for a longer one, but it's very probable that she did so because she was jealous about Haruyuki connecting with Chiyuri through an even shorter cable.
- Also she gets jealous when Scarlet Rain intrudes on Haruyuki, thus causing her to spend the night.
- Hair Antennae: Kuroyukihime has one.
- Hair Decorations: Chiyuri has her little cat pin on one side and hair clips on the other.
- Heel-Face Turn: Cyan Pile.
- "Hell Yes" Moment: In the anime finale, Haruyuki and Chiyuri have a big one when Noumi's wings unexpectedly disappear and Silver Crow unexpectedly starts to float without the Gale Thruster being on. What actually happened is that Chiyu's healing ability actually rewinds time and she not only managed to level it up enough to undo Dusk Taker's stealing of Silver Crow's wings but waited until the opportune moment in the battle where both combatants are in the air before backstabbing Noumi, sending him plummeting down like a rock and enabling Haru to utterly obliterate the now helpless Dusk Taker with a single attack.
- Heroic Second Wind: In the fight Haruyuki vs Cyan Pile after Haruyuki loses An Arm and a Leg he crawls over to Kuroyukihime's bed where she is fighting for her life after her Diving Save, and he won't back down which helps him unlock more of his power.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Haruyuki hates himself and this causes much confusion and problems because of how this messes up his relationships.
- Ho Yay + Not What It Looks Like = Yaoi Fangirl: Unintentionally invoked. When Haru and Taku talk on a bus ride about Chiyu's apparent removal of their relationship from the two guys in the previous episode, Taku becomes excessively dramatic about the situation since he loves Chiyu. However, since they are talking privately and since none of the other riders know about the context, the majority take this as Ho Yay. It does not help that the lines spoken afterwards make this even more Ho Yay. It also looks like all the girls in the bus want that supposed kiss to happen.
Haru: (out loud) Wait, Haru. You should be the one hitting me.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Sand Duct and Nickel Doll. Also, Cyan Pile and Lime Bell.
- Humongous Mecha: The Red King's combat form. One of Kuroyukihime's old Level 7 acquaintances can build himself one out of scrap metal and is mentioned as having firepower second only to the Red King herself.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Haruyuki to anyone. The kid has self-esteem in the negative numbers because of his physical appearance and all the bullying he has endured.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: In the anime, all episode titles end with "-tion".
- I Kiss Your Foot: Haruyuki does this for Niko after she agrees to teach him and Takumu about the incarnate system. She responds by kicking him.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Haruyuki to Taku.
- I Know Your True Name: The Burst Linkers rarely reveal their real names to others.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Chiyuri is upset but willing to let Haruyuki go when she thinks that only Kuroyukihime can help him.
- Haruyuki counseled Chiyuri to accept Taku's love confession because he honestly thought they would be happy together, and well his self esteem problems.
- She only accepted his acceptance because he promised he would continue to be their friend and nothing would change.
- Jet Pack: Sky Raker's Gale Thruster. When Dusk Taker steals Silver Crow's wings, Haru borrows the Thruster and subsequently gives it back in the final episode as he no longer needs them.
- Jumped at the Call: Haruyuki accepted Brain Burst much faster than Kuroyukihime anticipated.
- Karmic Death: Dusk Taker "dies" in the exact same way he "killed" his own older brother: outsmarted by somebody he thought was under his control, overpowered, and left whimpering and begging for his life before finally losing his last Burst Point.
- Kendo Team Captain: Taku
- Kick Them While They Are Down: Haruyuki has never shown any hesitation to jump on and pummel his opponents while they are down in the game if he can manage it. This back fired in his fight against Cyan Pile though.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Aqua Current induces this on Haruyuki regarding her? identity and how she (?) helped him.
- Losing Brain Burst will make you lose all memories relating to it.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Chiyuri and Kuroyukihime.
- Lighter and Softer: The short web animations made alongside the show. 1, 2, 3
- Logical Weakness: Metallic avatars display properties similar to the real metal, eg. Silver Crow is resistant to poison but vulnerable to electricity.
- Losing Your Head: How the first Red King died.
- Love at First Sight: Kuroyukihime proclaims this to Haruyuki just before the accident.
- Love Confession: Kuroyukihime claims that Haruyuki turned down her confession. Even if Haruyuki was able to get over his personal problems her "confession" wasn't exactly obvious.
- Luminescent Blush: Chiyuri here. Also Kuroyukihime.
- Macross Missile Massacre: The Red King's missile spam.
- Mistress and Servant Boy: Haruyuki sees his relationship with Kuroyukihime this way. This causes Chiyuri and Kuroyukihime herself call him out of it.
- Mooks: Haruyuki complains that his Brain Burst Avatar looks like a mook.
- His moveset is also; Punch. Kick. And a Headbutt as a finisher.
- Though it makes sense later on when it's revealed that these moves are supposed to be used in conjunction with his ability to fly, which makes them far more powerful.
- Nanomachines: Apparently they use these in the field of medicine - the story takes place in 2040's.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Haruyuki, and it is played for drama with his very low self esteem and bullying at the series start. Of course, to the viewer or reader though, he's drawn more cartoonishly, so he doesn't look particularly ugly at all.
- Not So Different: Haruyuki gives one to Cyan Pile.
- Oblivious to Love: Haruyuki because of his low self esteem. He takes to a new level by finding signs that she does like him and refusing point blank to even consider it.
- Oddly Small Organization: The Legion Nega Nebulus declares war against the rest of the Accel players and vows to reach level 10. It has four people in it thus far.
- It will, however, have slightly more members in the future, most of them with very rare abilities or avatars of unique design, like Aqua Current or Graphite Edge.
- Offscreen Break Up: The novels have Takumu saying, at the start of the second arc, that he and Chiyuri have broken up. The anime omits this line, but keeps Haruyuki asking Takumu during third arc whether he wants to be Chiyu's boyfriend again. As a result, when and why they broke up isn't as clear in the anime.
- Ojou: Kuroyukihime.
- Older Than They Look / The Slow Path: Even though the oldest Burst Linker's physical age is limited to 15 years or younger, time passes faster in-game at 17 minutes for every 1 real second, making those who spend more time there much older. Also, the main benefit of Burst Points in the real world is to slow down time. So it's anyone's guess as to how old the earliest players really are.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Kuroyukihime (Princess Snow Black). Even after she tells Haruyuki her name and tells him to call her by name from that point (the readers don't get to hear the name), he doesn't use it because it's embarrassing to.
- On a broader level most Burst Linkers know each other only through Brain Burst and thus know each other only by their duel Avatar names. Niko in particular, only refers to people by their Duel Avatar names, even when she knows their real identities.
- Panty Shot: Chiyuri here and possibly on purpose.
- Parental Neglect: When Kuroyukihime is in the hospital after she was hit by the car her parents never showed up. Instead they sent over a lawyer, and you know that makes everything better.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Taku accuses Haruyuki of invoking this in regards to Chiyuri. While this dynamic can easily be seen in their relationship, Chiyuri is dating Taku. It's complicated.
- Personality Powers: Each Burst Linker's inner traumas determine the type of Duel Avatar they would obtain. Thus, the loneliest person in the world gets the most powerful Duel Avatar.
- Silver Crow's wings were derived from Haruyuki's desire to become faster than anyone else so he could fly out of his problems, namely bullies and his physical appearance.
- The Red King Scarlet Rain is currently the best long-range type avatar in the Accelerated World. Niko, being afraid of the world, prefers to keep distance from everything she fears that would hurt her the more she gets close to it, giving her an avatar designed for long-range combat, and true enough, she invested all of her points on strengthening its long-ranged attacks.
- Despite being designed for close range combat, Cyan Pile's weapon is best suited for long range combat. That's because Taku desires revenge towards his Kendo club seniors who bullied him way back from third to fifth grade.
- Lime Bell is currently the third known healer-type avatar in the Accelerated World. Although what it actually does is reversing a Duel Avatar's personal time to the point of non-injury. This stemmed from Chiyu's desire to go back in time to the point when she, Haru, and Taku were together as kids.
- Point Build System: There is some sort of build point system in Brain Burst, and you can select at least some additional abilities such as being able to walk/drive on walls.
- P.O.V. Boy, Poster Girl: In marketing to an extent, but subverted by the story itself. Kuroyukihime fulfills all the qualities of a poster girl, but Haruyuki is far less generic and much more developed as a protagonist than is typical for light novels and can easily stand on his own. It helps that he's visually distinct as well.
- Power Perversion Potential: There is some mischief one can get into using Brain Burst, but slowing down time to to look up a girl's skirt is specifically mentioned not to work, unless it's been seen by your eyes or a camera.
- Taku when he used a virus to spy on his girlfriend's sight and hearing. Haruyuki does not mess with it because that might alert Cyan Pile that he knows.
- Power Gives You Wings: Foreshadowed in Haruyuki's user name: Silver Crow.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Kuroyukihime.
- Psychic Link: Kind of. A device is installed at the back of people's heads that acts like a small modem, which lets them link to network just like in real life.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Kuroyukihime.
- Really 700 Years Old: Burst Linkers in general tend to be mentally much older than their physical age due to the Year Inside, Hour Outside properties of Brain Burst. This is especially true for Black Lotus and Niko, who had played long enough to reach Level 9.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Taku delivers one to Noumi after unleashing his Cyan Blade. Noumi quickly counters however, with a psychotic Motive Rant.
- Red Baron: Everyone goes by a nickname in Brain Burst and protecting your identity is rule number one.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: They can also fall into this. Blood Leopard, anyone?
- Burst Linkers can also get separate titles as well, such as how Blue Knight is sometimes called "Legend Slayer" due to his ability to solo Legendary monsters, and how Sky Raker is called "ICBM" because her role in territory battles is equivalent of being a strategic weapon of mass destruction.
- Sky Raker is also called "Icarus" because she was the only Duel Avatar who came the closest to ever fly, until Silver Crow, the first flying Duel Avatar, came along.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Haruyuki's net avatar is a cute little piggy. He does not like it, seeing as it was forced on him as part of his ongoing humiliation (more specifically, he's overweight and it's a pig). But he never replaces it, even after the bullies are gone, because Kuroyukihime finds it cute.
- Samus is a Girl: Ash Roller is a girl.
- Scenery Porn / Scenery Gorn: The Accelerated World can turn into either version depending on which stage the system selects for a battle. The post-apocalyptic End of Century and Weathered stages run more to the Scenery Gorn end of the scale.
- Sempai/Kohai: Kuroyukihime is Haruyuki's sempai in school and in Brain Burst matters.
- School Newspaper News Hound: Two of them, in charge of the gossip section no less, give Haruyuki surprisingly accurate advice and even turned off the camera beforehand. Nice people.
- Shout-Out: Haruyuki's signature kick is a dead ringer for these words "RIDER KICK!!!"
- Slasher Smile: The Red King seems to have been taking lessons in expression from Accelerator.
- Seiji Nomi aka Dusk Taker does this when threatening both Haru and Chiyuri.
- Smug Snake: Nomi. It makes his Villainous Breakdown all the more satisfying.
- Yellow Radio has shades of this, especially when he expects Kuroyuki to stay down after reliving her worst memory and is shocked when she gets back up. He's still more Badass than the aforementioned.
- Stealth Pun: Haruyuki's normal avatar is a pig and one of Silver Crow's main powers is flight. This means that everything did happen because pigs fly.
- Sweat Drop: In the anime, Haruyuki has an animated hourglass icon in a Speech Bubble-esque chat window hovering next to his head for this effect. It's both hilarious and appropriate, considering the setting.
- The Tease: Kuroyukihime primarily teases Haru.
- Tempting Fate: Cyan Pile does it by telling Silver Crow in their duel to use his special power, to mock Silver Crow's comparatively low strength. And then Silver Crow activates his power for the first time, turning the tables in just one attack.
- Theme And Variations Soundtrack: In the anime, Haru's Leitmotif "Silver Wing" gets a number of remixes for various situations (including a rock remix, "Iron Will", for Gale Thruster). "Blood History"/"Re-Incarnate" gets similar treatment, with Sky Raker's theme being among its mixes.
- Theme Naming: Nick names of players are generated by the system, which always start with a keyword related to a color or a kind of material. A few key characters are named after famous cards in Magic: The Gathering. Kuroyukihime herself is named after the top card of the Power Nine - Black.Lotus. The key villain of the story is named Black.Vise, and there is a player named Ivory.Tower who's intentions have not been revealed yet. An interesting fact is that the cards Black Vise and Ivory Tower are exact counterparts of each other.
- Time Stands Still: The Burst Link, which amplifies the speed of human thought to the point where time seems to crawl to a halt.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Haruyuki and Kuroyukihime.
- Tokyo Is the Center of the Accelerated World: Probably at least partly justified given how such a large percentage of Japan's population lives in or around Tokyo but still rather dramatic. Tokyo has hundreds of Burst Linkers divided into seven Legions fighting over virtual territory, points and prestige. Okinawa has three and one of them is from Tokyo originally.
- Another possible justification: you need to be physically link up to pass on and install Brain Burst, and you only have one chance to do so. Thus everyone who has Brain Burst got it due to them living in Tokyo and knowing another Brain Burst user living in Tokyo, and chances are high the "children" are on very friendly terms with the "parents". Case in point: the two non-"imported" Okinawa Burst Linkers and their relationship with each other and their "parent".
- Not to mention the age limit: Burst Link appears to be a very new program with steep entry requirements (including the link-from-birth requirement) and a poor distribution model (one time only face-to-face). It is likely that the program is only just starting to spread from Tokyo.
- Training from Hell: At least in the anime, Haru trains himself to dodge bullets...by having a virtual revolver shoot at his pig avatar from a few meters away. And, given his reactions to being hit they hurt about as much as real ones.
- In the novels, Haruyuki created the program himself so that when it started it would randomly fire at him at him sometime within 30 minutes of starting, so not only would he have to dodge, he would have to be able to focus on the gun for up to 30 minutes waiting for the bullet. He also programmed the bullets to inflict the maximum amount of pain it could, so it would feel like he was actually getting shot, giving him an incentive to dodge. He then added to this by downloading an illegal app that disables the feature that would cause the Neuro-Linker to automatically disconnect him when he felt such immense pain, in order to do it at as many times as possible. And he did this all of his own volition in order to learn how to dodge better.
- And then there's the Incarnate System training for both Haruyuki and Taku. Sky Raker pushes Haruyuki off a very, VERY tall tower and makes him climb back up, while Niko just shoots lots and lots of missiles at Taku.
- Triang Relations: Class 10 (Taku, Chiyuri, Haruyuki) and Class 12 (Kuroyukihime, Chiyuri and Haruyuki) during the first arc.
- A Truce While We Gawk: A large battle royale that's taking place stops fighting to watch Black Lotus fight Yellow Radio. Justified in that said fight is the first time two level 9s fought each other.
- Tsundere: Niko is a Type A and Kuroyukihime is a Type B.
- Ultra Super Death Gore Fest Chainsawer 3000: Every single game in the entire (Western) collection Haruyuki has. The one demonstrated on screen has a Boom, Headshot in Gorn. Played by Fiery Redhead no less.
- Unstoppable Rage: In episode 20, Noumi successfully manages to piss off Haru to an extent no one managed before. Cue Haru's rage awakening the piece of Chrome Disaster hiding on his avatar's back... Good thing the duel timed out or things would've gotten VERY ugly very fast.
- Unwanted Harem: Kuroyukihime, Chiyuri, Niko, freakin' ASH ROLLER and her sister, the list goes on...
- Villainous Breakdown: Noumi gets two. A minor one when Haruyuki tells him he knows how he stays off he matching list, and a second very satisfying one when he is finally beaten by Haruyuki for good.
- We Have Become Complacent: Kuroyukihime accuses the Kings and the Burst Linkers as a whole of this trope, calling them fakes. Part of her desire to become level 10 is to get rid of the "false tranquility" that she considers their peace treaty and pull the Accelerated World out of stagnation.
- Wave Motion Gun: The current Red King, Scarlet Rain has one.
- We Used to Be Friends: Taku, a.k.a. Cyan Pile, and Haruyuki.
- Their friendship gets rekindled after their fight.
- Winged Humanoid: Silver Crow.
- Dusk Taker after he steals Haru's flight ability.
- The World Is Just Awesome: Haruyuki declares that the Accel World is infinite The first time he flies.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: The Unlimited Neutral Field enables Burst Linkers over level 4 to Accelerate for an unlimited amount of time. Haruyuki calculates that since one second in the real world is equal to seventeen minutes of Acceleration, a full day of real time spent in the Unlimited Neutral Field would equal three years. Taku and Kuroyukihime advise him not to spend overly large amounts of time inside the Field, saying that doing so would cause him to become increasingly disconnected from the real world since while his body doesn't age from the months of memories, his mind and soul do.
- Zeerust: The series is set somewhere in the future but still has wheeled modern cars? Not to mention that there were still some fashion of the modern times albeit the presence of high tech gizmos and hospital facilities. On account, the high-tech things that are present here could work but the fashion and some of the aesthetics have yet to be either confirmed or contradicted by that time.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Chiyuri wears this along with her school uniform.