Lets Play: The Midnight Guys
The Midnight Guys
were a Let's Play
group formed in 2012 that consisted of The Real Golden Gamer
and Mr Tingle Gamer Edition, both of whom have their own YouTube
channels, also for Let's Playing.
The group has a bit of history. The group was originally called The Golden Spider Hawks, and YouTuber ryanhawkrider was also in the group. However, ryanhawkrider left the group, and thus The Golden Spider Hawks was abandoned. After a few days, Mr Tingle Gamer Edition and The Real Golden Gamer came up with the idea to make a new channel called The Midnight Guys. Although The Golden Spider Hawks is now a defunct group, the channel is still on YouTube.
The Midnight Guys' channel is no longer in use, as of August 27th, 2012.
This is their channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMidnightGuys
Their Let's Plays provide examples of:
- Call Back: In the first episode The Real Golden Gamer said he didn't want a Pikachu, he wanted a Charmander. In the sixth video they actually get a Charmander.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: Lampshaded when they encounter trainers with Pokemon who's levels are either too high or too low for them.
- Curse Cut Short: Mr Tingle Gamer Edition doesn't swear at all, but The Real Golden Gamer will swear, but the one time he said "fuck" he apologized right away.
- Development Hell: They originally said they would upload videos daily, and they did this with their first three videos. A day after episode three, "The Hiatus Video" comes along, and the next episode is uploaded on July 8th. In that episode they claim they're going to go back to uploading daily. The next episode is uploaded on July 15th, then comes "The Hiatus Video - The Sequel."
- Epic Fail: Giving their character and their rival a name takes three minutes of their video.
- The Real Golden Gamer said they should name the rival "Larry" and Mr Tingle Gamer Edition agrees....he spells it Lary.
- Lampshaded by The Real Golden Gamer
- They also lose the very first battle with Lary.
- The old man who teaches you how to catch Pokemon's attempt at catching Rattata fails.
- Epic Win: Their entire gym battle with Brock. The video itself is even titled "The Epic Triumph."
- They beat Misty in 3 moves.
- The Faceless: Both of them play this straight.
- Foreshadowing: Done in the first episode by The Real Golden Gamer. He jokes that what if on the last patch of grass before they reach Pallet Town they run into a wild Mew. Mr Tingle Gamer Edition says that he knows the Mew Glitch that works, and The Real Golden Gamer says that they're going to get Mew, but everyone is going to have to wait 50 episodes for it, clearly meaning that they're planning on doing bonus episodes.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: When they're trying to figure out what to name their character in their first video, The Real Golden Gamer recommends the name "Jike," a combination of both of their names. What is the the second name he recommends? Joke.
- Large Ham: The Real Golden Gamer
- Pretty much undeniable in the sixth video.
- Let's Play: The entire reason their channel exists.
- No Indoor Voice: The Real Golden Gamer
- Once a Season: Mr Tingle Gamer Edition has said that during every Let's Play there will be something different on the moon in their icon.
- Precision F-Strike: Quite a few, all from The Real Golden Gamer.
- Running Gag: "Prof dot space Oak!"
- Self-Imposed Challenge: When they're going to teach their Pikachu (Amaterasu) a new move Mr Tingle Gamer Edition accidentally deletes the move Thundershock and The Real Golden Gamer goes berserk. Mr Tingle asks The Real Golden Gamer if he wants to return to the previous save. The Real Golden Gamer says no, as he takes continuing without Thundershock as a challenge.
- Shout-Out: They name their Pikachu "Amaterasu" and their Butterfree "Mr. Tibbs" (Mr Tingle Gamer Edition is completely ignorant to the fact that Mr. Tibbs is a reference).
- They also make a few references to Chuggaaconroy, such as Mr Tingle using "chuckin' the balls," The Real Golden Gamer uses Chuggaaconroy's theory on how the old men spontaneously grow hair, and the list goes on. They even mention him by name.
- They play Viridian Forest Dubstep at the end of the episode where they go through the Viridian Forest.
- Tempting Fate: The Real Golden Gamer remarks in one episode that he's surprised that they haven't run into any wild Pokemon while they were moving through tall grass. Guess what happens right after he says this...
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: The Real Golden Gamer loves this trope.
- Unreliable Narrator: The Real Golden Gamer becomes this at the end of the fifth episode of Let's Play Pokémon Yellow when he says they'll return on the next episode of Let's Play Pokémon Emerald. This is lampshaded by Mr Tingle Gamer Edition.