Hello everybody! And welcome to Northernlion's TV-Tropes page!
Northernlion is a Let's Player, hailing from Canada. Aside from Let's Plays, he also does other shows such as Let's Look At and Only in Korea (started because he moved to Korea to teach English). He has become fairly popular, gaining over 100,000 subscribers. He is also a Machinima
director, and runs a show called Poison Mushroom, where he takes a look at terrible games and makes fun of them. His channel can be found here
Every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, he hosts a live stream that usually goes on for 3 hours. A good part of the stream is spent playing Dark Souls
In a group called Saving Progress, also containing J Smith OTI
and michaelalfox. His girlfriend, Kate is frequently mentioned in his videoes and has appeared in some (she's also apparently better at some games then him). He is also good friends with Chaoticmonki
, having a few videos of playing Monaco together and Northernlion made an appearance in one of Cry's streams.
Now with a Quotes' Page in serious need of some Wiki Magic
Games he has Let's Played (not counting Let's Look At):
- Badass Baritone
- Bald of Awesome: A prime example
- Big Name Fan: As far as fans of The Binding of Isaac go, to the point where he got an interview with McMillen himself.
- Catch Phrase: In The Binding Of Isaac let's play: "Stupid damage!"
- Other catchphrases include "Oh no, the pills made me retarded!" and "That's another thing I thought I would never say in my life." He even mentions possibly opening up an online store selling shirts with the phrases on them.
- "That's bad for business!
- "Bob's your uncle. Everyone's happy."
- "Let's put it that way."
- "Everything seems to be coming up Milhouse."
- "I botched this."
- "That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it... and it's worked out pretty well so far."
- "Who dares wins.", particularly in the Binding of Isaac and Spelunky, immediately before performing a highly risky maneuver or action.
- His fans have one, too: "'X': The Northernlion Story" where X is a phrase that Northernlion said in the video. For example: "Tie It All Together With Struts": The Northernlion Story
- He has even embraced this one, especially in his Spelunky LP *, adding "The Northernlion Story" to random and sometimes nonsensical statements he makes.
- His fans also have "Scumbag Northernlion - [Description of incredibly stupid mistake made during the video]".
- "Never send a man to do a woman's job." *
- He also always says "Stranger things have happened." whenever he mentions something happening with any level of luck to it.
- And, particularly in his Binding of Isaac Challenge runs, whenever he mentions doing something that does not hold to that episode's challenge rules, it's "against the spirit of the challenge".
- "Shots fired," used in his live streams whenever something insulting comes up.
- Dreamworks Face: His logo, which usually appears in the thumbnail of each video.
- Also used as Gag Censor during his Seduce Me Let's Look At.
- Epic Fail: In episode 18 of his X-COM Let's Play, he tries to wait another day to do the London terror mission to get his heavy, which results in him completely losing the United Kingdom. Shortly afterward, he fails an interceptor mission.
- During his run on the Ord Mantell level of Shadows of the Empire, he almost referred to his battle with IG-88 as this since the assassin droid had him on the ropes for a good portion of the fight.
- Executive Meddling: His let's play of Assassins Creed: Brotherhood had to be removed from youtube due to copyright claims from Ubisoft. It was moved to blip.tv, but appears to be canceled as he hasn't updated in a long time
- Fan Disservice: His let's look at of 'sexy' Xbox Live Indie games. "Dominique is a man, baby, look at that jaw!"
- Failed a Spot Check: Yes. The comments are quick to point out things that he was looking for but missed. The most frequent case is missing the Key in Spelunky, even if it's directly on screen.
- Groin Attack: He is particularly amused when, in a Dark Souls video, he ends up shooting an arrow into an enemy's crotch.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Roll Fizzlebeef ends up being his sacrifice in his X-COM series.
- Long Runner: His let's play of The Binding of Isaac has been going on for over 450 videos, and he doesn't show any signs of stopping.
- Intoxication Ensues: For three videos of The Binding of Isaac let's play,* he was slightly inebriated. Needless to say, this led to some hilarious shenanigans.
- Milestone Celebration: His The Binding of Isaac LP just hit its 500th episode.
- Motor Mouth: He's one of the most verbose LPer's out there. His talking speed is quite normal, but the density of his commentary stream is notable.
- MST: Invoked during the Grey's Anatomy let's play. Also his Machinima series Poison Mushroom.
- The Nicknamer: He nicknames several enemies and characters in The Binding of Isaac. (Crying gray puffy thing? "Human Popcorn". Large flies with gray bodies? "Grandfather Flies", because their gray bodies resemble beards. Beggar sitting on the floor? "Judgement", after the tarot card of the same name, which summons a Beggar.)
- A fan even put up a video of the game's credits, which shows all of the enemies and their names, edited to instead show the names Northernlion has given them.
- Nintendo Hard: He's a big fan of these kind of games, and he's actually quite competent at them. (despite what some of the commenters might say) He's hardcore enough to unlock The Kid in Super Meat Boy and all the No Damage Runs achievements in The Binding of Isaac.
- Noodle Incident: A running part of his humor
- Official Couple: Him and Kate.
- One of Us: He has referenced TV Tropes numerous times.
- Reference Overdosed: To other games, movies, series, cartoons and miscellaneus pop-culture subjects. It's almost impossible for a single person to get them all, because some make allusion to kinda obscure stuff. Case in point:
- Running Gag: Whenever he does a "Let's Look At"-video of a Simulation Game, like Street Cleaning Simulator or Railworks: Train Simulator, he will conclude the session with an extravagant accident that would have surely reduced his vehicle to a smoking piece of rubble in real life.
- Self-Imposed Challenge: He did numerous challenge runs of The Binding of Isaac.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Compared to other Let's Players, Northernlion's vocabulary is much larger. Always lampshaded.
- Sophisticated as Hell: He's not above peppering his speech with some context sensitive profanity or disturbing (and odd) commentaries.
- Take That Me / Self-Deprecation: The premise behind his (super funny) "Vintage Isaac" series; in which he revisits his old The Binding of Isaac's videos to snark, cringe and reflect about his past (failure ridden) adventures.
- Taught By Experience: His approach to gaming; he prefers to figure out things on the go and to learn from mistakes instead of consulting a walkthrough/FAQ, because it makes for a more fulfilling experience to him.
- Subtitle Drop: Plenty of times during his Binding of Isaac LP.
- Too Awesome to Use: Has mentioned the trope by name and also thinks the D6 in The Binding of Issac to be this.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He addressed on his Let's Look At Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet video that the deep sea and its creatures, particularly jellyfishes, seriously creep him out.
As always: Thank you guys for reading, and I'll see you next time!