(real name Richard) is a prominent English member of the Let's Play
community on YouTube
, known in equal parts for his easygoing, relaxing style of commentary, his almost complete aversion to profanity
, and his tendency to randomly quote Resident Evil
. Or break out into song
. Even when one counts his year-long hiatus in 2010 and the removal of virtually all of his content before that point, his video library is immense, spanning over 4000 videos (he reached this mark on the 9th November 2013) and virtually every genre of game.
Some of his more noteworthy playthroughs as of this writing include, but are most certainly not limited to:
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
- Baldur's Gate (Full series)
- Civilization (1, 2, and 3)
- Dark Cloud
- Dark Forces Saga
- Doom (1, 2, and 3)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Final Fantasy:
- Kingdom Hearts
- Pokémon (Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Platinum, and Black)
- Portal 2
- Resident Evil (1, 2, 3, 4, Zero, and Code Veronica)
- The Walking Dead
- X-COM (UFO Defense, Terror from the Deep, and Enemy Unknown)
Also a known partner-in-crime of Kikoskia
This Let's Player provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: Necro's ubiquitous player avatar in his Bethesda series, Harry, is played strongly as a Pragmatic Hero.
- Badass Baritone: Between this and his accent, Necro's voice is instantly recognizable.
- Berserk Button: Child killers, abusers, and generally anyone who would hurt a kid. Also religion on occasion, as his LP of Fallout: New Vegas proved in two separate instances.
- British Accents: Suffice it to say he's unmistakably Yorkshire.
- Catch Phrase: He has several.
"That's what she said."
"I've said that before."
- Cluster F-Bomb: The final chapter of his Walking Dead LP becomes this in fairly short order, as a testament to just how much the game affected him.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Possibly has one based on the content of some of his vlogs and tweets.
- Deadpan Snarker: A comparatively lighthearted example.
- Epic Fail: His Let's Fail series are dedicated to these by default, as are some of his Strange Game Saturdays.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: In the name of avoiding profanity, Necro relies on a combination of this - sometimes almost verbatim - and a vocabulary of rather creative substitute expletives, e.g. "funk" and "fuzz" for the obvious.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Pretty much any time he gets the chance, with Harry being the gold standard.
- Nice Guy: Definitely one of the friendlier, more jovial members of the Let's Play community, in contrast to his tendency to play thieving vigilantes whenever presented the opportunity.
- One of Us: Goes without saying. Even putting aside the video games, he's proven himself to be a massive fanboy of Disney, Warhammer, Doctor Who, Star Wars, and countless other cornerstones of nerdiness.
- Oop North
- Papa Wolf: Very much so. Having a young daughter himself, Necro admitted that his paternal instincts translated to him being fiercely protective of Clementine in The Walking Dead.
- Precision F-Strike: On very, very rare occasions, Necro has been known to let an f-bomb or two slip when a game gets particularly intense.
- Save Scumming: Good god but is Necro the reigning master of this trope.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: He has the horror Let's Plays to prove it.
- That's What She Said: A catch phrase of his, in amongst the Resident Evil quotes.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With his best friend and fellow Let's Player, JPlay85. Virtually any video featuring the two of them will find them relentlessly giving each other crap.