Lets Play: Ethos Lab
"Hello everybody, this is Etho here..."Some people play video games. Then there are some who push them to their limits. This is what Etho does with the game Minecraft. His Let's Play has spanned over 300 episodes and includes all sorts of contraptions. Etho approaches Minecraft from a technical perspective, and has a soft voice and a generally friendly attitude. But behind that voice is a Bad Ass Bookworm, some might say an evil genius. He is formerly a well-known member of the Mindcrack Server community, and as of March 2015, he became a member of Hermitcraft.
Tropes that apply to Ethos Lab:
- Affably Evil: Broke into MC's house to murder him, then donated his pants when he accidentally let MC's despawn.
- Arch-Enemy: PauseUnpause, who seems to be the only person in the UHC series that Etho is especially concerned about (and very often killed by).
- During season 4 they were in a "Civil war" were whenever the two were online they agreed to go after one another in PVP.
- Amusement Park of Doom: The original Guudeland on the Minecrack Server features fun games such as trivia quizzes, roller coasters and paintball. The first game Etho builds on the Feed The Beast server? A King-of-the-Hill style game which includes players pushing each other from the top of a 150-block tall tower. The SECOND game he builds? Frogger. And you're the frog!
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Most of his PVP ability comes from learning a games mechanics through repeated trial and error.
- Badass Bookworm: Etho's is pretty good at PvP and can use his vast knowledge of game mechanics to his advantage.
- Becoming the Mask: Etho the Player values his IRL privacy very highly, rarely gives away very much information about himself and has never shown his 'real' face online. Instead, everyone refers to him - and he responds in kind - as the sneaky, explosive-obsessed ninja, which he takes in good humour.
- Combat Pragmatist: Etho can fight fair and square, but he doesn't have to, and besides, when you're an opportunist (waited half an episode for the perfect chance to kill doc), a ninja and a genius, fighting fair is a moot point if not for sportsmanship.
- Canada, Eh?: Etho's Canadian and is a founding member of Team Canada on the Mindcrack server.
- Catch Phrase: "Oh yeah!", "I don't know.", "Get your snacks!", "I like it!"
- Deadpan Snarker: Also a Crowning Moment of Funny, in episode 136 when talking about how to access your world saves in Minecraft, he instructs how to do it on a Windows machine. Then he advises not to ask him how it's done on a Mac or else receive a response such as "There's only so much you can do with a potato."
- Department of Redundancy Department: In episode 167, he lights up the bridge for "visual looks"
- Determinator: Regularly in the UHC games, but particularly Season 8. He gets shot by skeletons, bitten by Spiders, drops lava on his own feet, is shot, stabbed and set on fire by other Players.... And single handedly kills 4 of them in under an hour in order to win the game outright.
- Elaborate Underground Base: since starting his current map around episode 100, he has built his base (the "Man cave") completely underground. On the Mindcrack server Season 3 map, he also dwelled underground, although that base was less developed.
- Inverted in Season's 4 map by his base being built on top of a mountain.
- Friendly Rival: With AnderZEL.
- Goshdang It To Heck: Etho almost never swears in any of his videos, and usually censors the audio when others swear. This actually prevented him from uploading the Far Lands or Bust Race for Wool charity match, as his team swore so much and made so many vulgar jokes that the video would have pretty much been two hours of silence.
- Let's Play: His main series is a Minecraft Let's Play.
- Ninja: His current skin is Kakashi from Naruto and he has proven himself to be indeed capable of being sneaky quite a few times.
- No Face Under the Mask: Due to how Minecraft avatars work, characters are hollow and certain glitches let you see 'inside' of someone's head. This occasionally happens to Etho, so under his mask all you can see is.... His mask, but mirror-flipped.
- Overly Long Gag: "So that Office is a pretty good show."
- Sadistic Choice: In episode 347 of his let's play series, a glitch involving nether portals causes him to be sent over 80 thousand blocks away from his base. His only choice is to either walk all the way home and render his world size impractically large, or kill himself and lose 115 XP levels. He chooses the second option.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: General Spaz the Creeper. Nebris on the Mindcrack server.
- Super OCD: Etho's builds include a Slime farm that sorts them by size, Blaze XP farm, and many other things.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: The iron from the poppy farm is just a byproduct!
- The Faceless: In over 2 years of being on YouTube, Etho has never changed his avatar from that of a masked ninja. A Running Gag on the Minecraft server is that someone pretends to have seen under it, and is either horrified or Etho flees so that they see no more.
- Trolling Creator: Has way too much fun messing with his fanbase whenever he gets the opportunity.
- Illustrated here
- Worthless Blue Shiny Rocks
- Your Mom: played straight: He refers to hoes as "your mom."
- He once introduced an episode by saying "Hey everybody, this is E to the T to your mum"
- Zerg Rush: What he aims to do with his Dimorphodons in ARK: Survival Evolved