"What's up everybody, it's Critikal. I'm playing TV Tropes
for the PC; let's do this shit."
(Usually stylized as Cr1TiKaL
) is a game commentator on YouTube. He usually reviews old and relatively obscure games for the PC and Sony PlayStation
along with indie and mainstream games, and most of his commentaries only last for one video. He's known for his low-pitched and almost monotone voice and his dry humor. His commentary consists of sarcastic deadpan observations
interspersed with crude humor. Aside from game commentaries, he occasionally makes humorous dubs over infomercials using his own voice and making fake movie trailers from monologues and footage of games he has played.
He has recently obtained YouTube partnership. However, he makes these videos simply because he enjoys making them
and any money he makes is donated to various charities.
After seeking employment as a voice actor, he has managed to find roles as a tourist in Tropico 5
, Job Gilman in Lucius 2
, and the computer in VoidExpanse
Critikal's videos include (but are not limited to) the following games:
Critikal's works provide examples of:
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range:
- Implied in his Facade gameplay and commentary video
Cr1TiKaL: [typing] I can touch nipples with toes
*Game characters look up in shock*
Cr1TiKaL: "Oh... well, I have shown this ability to over a hundred humans, kangaroos and reptiles but not once have anyone's eyes lit up like that before I've done it. They must be really excited to see this."
- Played straight in his 98 Koshien video.
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: While voicing Anthony Sullivan, he claims that the Edge of Glory can make your knife capable of cutting through the perception of time.
- Adorkable: Yes, Cr1tikal, of all people, comes off as massively adorkable in his "Thank you," video.
- And again in his "Holy Shit," video, after reaching 1,000,000 subscribers.
- Anything That Moves: He somehow got Cleverbot to admit that it's very fond of buffaloes.
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: During an Omegle chat he assumes the false name of "Torvaltz" and later explains to his conversation partner that he is from the U.S. but his name is not of U.S. origin.
- Ass Shove: In his Spiderman 2 commentary, he threatened to shove a Dust Buster up Doc Ock's ass.
Cr1tikal: HQ this is Tango-Echo-Alpha. Animatronics whereabouts unkno- oh wait. Scratch that. Location of duck has been confimed. Judging by its facial expression it looks like someone shoved a soup ladle up its asshole. Poor thing looks startled.
- Author Appeal: He really likes nipples.
- Awesome McCoolname: In his Penumbra commentary, he named a crate he found "Avagantamos, Eater of Nipples".
- In his Happy Wheels commentary, he named his son "Bloudon".
- "Oborowatibinost, Soccer Player Extraordinaire", from his Grass Roots video.
- "Skordil Wabramop", from his Raw Danger series.
- His Hard Time commentary gave us "Chef Vortivask."
- Badass Baritone: His voice is quite deep.
- Badass Boast: In his Earth Defense Force 2025 video while fighting a mob of ants: "You may have rendered telephones useless, but I can still call your ant queen a bitch!"
- Black Comedy: Critikal has no bounds when it comes to what he'll say. Crosses with his comedy most of the time.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In his Fridge Locker infomercial: "You can put (the Fridge Locker) in your fridge, your freezer, your pantry, your asshole..."
- In his Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing review he mentions a commercial playing on TV during his game play: "That (the commercial) is playing while I'm playing Big Rigs while I'm playing with myself!"
- In one of his Oregan Trail commentary, he ran though the list of jobs as such: "Who do I want to be? A banker from Boston, a carpenter from Ohio, farmer from Illinois, pornographer..."
- There's also one in his Oswald the Elephant video.
Cr1tikal: "Damn it, you elephant bitch! Just walk on the stilts! Use the stilts! Be one with the stilts! You are the stilts! Feel the stilts! Have sex with the stilts, Oswald!"
- Delivered one in his Edge of Glory dub.
Cr1tikal: "Now I bet you're asking: 'Sully, what can I do with three knives? The possibilities are endless, you son of a bitch! You can cut, peel, dice, filet, fist yourself!'"
- Inverted as he was cooking the turkey stuffing in his Cooking Mama: PETA Edition commentary.
- Also delivered one in his Grill Glove dub.
Cr1tikal: "You can make hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, yourself.'"
- Catch Phrase: "What's up everybody, it's Critikal. I'm playing (title of the game he is playing) for the (platform of the said game), let's do this shit."
- And when he ends a video: "Well that's the end of this video. Remember to rate the video, comment the video, and subscribe if you wanna see videos similar to this one. See ya."
- Technically not a catch phrase but the descriptions of his videos will usually be "This is the greatest (something related to the game he is playing) of All Time"
- Also debatable whether this would be called a catch phrase, but he will frequently make references to nipples.
- Whenever he's interrupted in the middle of reading something or doing something in general, he's likely to say "Oh okay, I [guess I'll] go fuck myself then."
- Calling Your Attacks: While fighting Antoine in Dead Rising 2: "Serving tray!!" (throws one at Antoine)
- Cluster F-Bomb: Critikal swears very often but there's some moments like his Zoo Tycoon commentary where he lets loose a string of F-bombs at once.
- Upon hearing the was going to be another match in Animal Soccer World, he lets loose a barrage of swear words.
- Companion Cube: In his Penumbra review he finds a crate and starts picking it up and talking to it. He names it: "Avagantamos: The Eater of Nipples".
- Corpsing: Does this in his Babysitter Bloodbath commentary when Jack talks about Cow Tipping.
- Deadpan Snarker: One of his primary traits. Emphasis on the "deadpan" part.
- Did I Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Implied in his Rose & Camellia commentary.
"I just realized she was wearing a cape the whole time. I just defeated a superhero."
- Die, Chair! Die!: He pinned the blame on a sale sigh for murder in the "A Match Made in Heaven" case in L.A. Noir and then tried run over it with the car, only to run over the corpse he was investigating in the process and fail the case.
- Drives Like Crazy
- Early Installment Weirdness: His earlier videos were completely different in style. The focus was mostly on first-person shooters, and the style of the commentary is far from the "titties and asscheeks" humor of his later videos.
- Epic Fail: In his Dark Souls II gameplay he not only failed the first jump a bunch of times, but he taunted and enemy not to fall of a ledge, only to fall off the ledge himself as well.
- Fun with Acronyms: In his Zoo Tycoon commentary, he dropped one as a helicopter took one of his gazelles away.
- In his Cleverbot commentary, he theorizes that the reason "-bot" was colored because it stood for "bitch on tomatoes".
- True Innocence Takes Sacrifice.
- The Ghost: Subverted. Though he does a lot of talking, we never see his appearance. It's pretty much up for interpretation.
- Gag Dub: His "Real" versions of Anthony Sullivan's infomercials.
- He also redubs the main character of obscure Russian cartoon series Captain Pronin.
- Gratuitous Japanese: He uses some in his ''Ski Jumping Pairs'' video with the explanation that he started to learn Japanese in order to understand the Japanese games he likes to play. The first phrase he utters though is "Ima nan-ji desu ka" ( 'what time is it?' ).
- Hello, Insert Name Here: ('_')
- Hidden Depths: See Smarter Than You Look below.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: As Captain Pronin.
"My father looks like a depressed Chaz Finster
, who dresses like a shitty sailor, and is over four hundred years old. But he wrote the world's best-selling novel, titled, 'I Am Man.' He also wielded a sword at one point, which is incredible. He always resented me because I was born with an erection and a frown. When I was seventeen he taught me how to shoot a gun, hoping I would turn it on myself. When I was twenty he taught me how to beat milk out of a coconut. When I was thirty he taught me how to read. He wasn't the best father, but I've always looked up to him, because he's over eight feet tall. (phone rings)
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to answer this phone call. It's probably my father calling to tell me to go fuck myself."
- The Internet Is for Porn: His response when he found the computer during his commentary of Cry of Fear: "Computer? Let's look at some porn."
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman : While playing as the female protagonist in Jurassic Park Trespasser he looks down and pauses for a moment to admire the character's breasts from her POV.
- Mundane Made Awesome: In his Mario Party 7 video: He tells an anecdote about him taking a dump while listening to dramatic orchestral music from a movie soundtrack and he mentions it sounded like he was "taking a shit to determine the fate of mankind".
- Nerves of Steel: Horror games have no affect on him at all. Although, curiously, he freaked out when he saw a leaf stuck to his wall out of his peripheral vision in his Medal of Honor video, saying it looked like "a Ninja Turtle was rubbing its dick on my wall".
- Nice Guy: Look at literally any of his videos that aren't "in-character." He's humble about his work, thankful to his fans, states that it's their input that allows him to keep making videos, and just generally shows himself as a very friendly, if a good deal reserved, person.
- Not So Stoic: Horror games don't bother Critikal at all. The Impossible Game, however, elicits the most emotion we've ever seen out of Critikal. Namely anger.
- His "out of character" videos show him being as being very genuine and emotive. In these cases he sounds very happy.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: During a video allegedly intended to teach people how to play Modern Warfare 2 better, he plays VERY badly on purpose. Other videos have shown him to be a rather competent player.
- Offing the Offspring: From the "Happy Wheels" commentary:
Critikal: All right, I know what I must do - (flings his son Bloudon off the bike) I must murder my own son! You brought this on yourself. (runs over Bloudon with the bike)
- Off Model: A recurring element in games he corrupts. Character models deform when they shouldn't, which often leads to the game crashing.
- Orphaned Series: In 2010 he started a video series called "Critikal Vs." as an attempt to be more interactive with his fans. The series was supposed to be videos of him fighting video game bosses based on his fans' requests. He only made two episodes.
- A FAQ video states that he abandoned the series.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Every video has the description, "This is the greatest X of all time", where X is something having to do with the video. In his video about the forced integration of YouTube and Google+, it said, "Fuck Google+"
- Out-of-Character Moment: In his Babysitter Bloodbath video, he breaks his stoic nature and actually laughs.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: In his Minecraft commentary as the tried to hunt a duck: "Grab! My! Wiener!"
- Punctuated Pounding: During the fight with the Woodsman in The Wolf Among Us.
"Who! Is! Your! NIPPLEFISTER!"
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: From Captain Pronin.
- Ridiculously Average Guy: Describes himself as this in this when answering questions in his one million subscriber video.
- Rule of Three: In one video commentary where he did gameplay of various games, he said "Let's do this shit!" three times at the start of the video. See it here.
- Russian Reversal: Around the end of one of his The Oregon Trails videos: "I don't beat Oregon Trails, Oregon Trails beats me!"
- Shrinking Violet: Claims to be one in real life in his "Holy Shit" video.
- Sir Nipples-a-Lot
- Smarter Than You Look: Well, sound. Due to his love of all things titty and nipples, one might assume Cr1tikal lacks in basic or advanced knowledge — he doesn't. In his Pokémon Vietnamese Crystal playthrough, he notes "CHAN E - that's the Chinese goddess of the moon, don't know why that's an option." Turns out that Chang'e actually is the name of the Chinese goddess of the moon.
- In his Classroom Aquatic commentary, it's implied that he has substantial knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- In his Among the Sleep commentary, he makes a passing reference to the Hodge Conjecture.
- In his Safety Driving commentary, he noted the developers spelled "encephalon" wrong. note
- Sophisticated as Hell: Critikal's signature style is mixing witty and sophisticated banter with truckloads of profanity.
- Something Completely Different: The "Captain Pronin" videos are notably different from his usual output; also applicable are the Anthony Sullivan videos.
- Special mention goes to the "Scary Infomercials", "Sad Fish", and "The Proboscis Monkey" videos.
- The Stoic: Throughout his commentaries on video games he plays, his voice is usually monotone and has little to no emotion put into it. To date, he has laughed four times in his videos, two of which barely lasted a second.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Cleverbot in the Cleverbot video.
Critikal: "You are not a person, you are an ass."
Cleverbot: "You are the robot."
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Delivered one in his Dead Space 3 commentary during the cut-scene where Danik ambushes Issac and his allies.
- At the end of his "Mighty Thirsty" dub: "Get thirsty, bitch!"
- In "Various Games Gameplay and Commentary": "You'll think twice before being a computer next time, bitch!"
- He done this three times in his Dead Rising 2 commentary.
- While stopping one of the opponents from passing him in Snowboard Kids 64: "Yeah, froze your ass again, bitch!"
- In his Phobia commentary: "Sneak attack, BIIIIIIIIITCH!"
- At one point while trying to jump over a fence in the The Smurfs video game for the Atari 2600: "Alright here we go, Olympic hurdle, bitch!"
- In the Wrestling MPire commentary: "Manufacture me as a keyboard, and I'll only have one key - the control key, bitch!"
- Delivered one while fighting off in Earth Defense Force 2025.
- Too Incompetent to Operate a Blanket: Parodied in cases such as "Do you have a drawer full of sharp knives, but prefer to cut your bread with a doorstop?"
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Whenever he's playing horror games.
- Wildlife Commentary Spoof: He has done something similar to this, putting his voice over videos of animals and talking from the animal's perspective about how they'll take over the world, teach humans how to properly use their titties, or something else funny.
- X Meets Y: An in-commentary example where he described hacking a keypad as "Sudoku meets my ass".
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: His title: Cr1tikal (pronounced like "critical").
"Well, that's the end of this article. Remember to rate the article, comment the article, and subscribe if you want to see articles similar to this one. See ya."