To quote its parent company, Profound Decisions, Odyssey is 'a live roleplaying game set in the mythical ancient world' (source) - or, in other words, a British fest LARP that lets you play at being a hero from classical mythology.
- Set during The Time of Myths, making just about everything here Older Than Dirt (or at least Older Than Feudalism).
- Greece and Rome are based on their counterparts in Classical Mythology. The game also sports Ancient Egypt, Persia's Mesopotamian Mythology crossed with Zoroastrianism, and Carthage as extrapolated from the less biased accounts of the Punic Wars.
- Atlantis - The setting of the annual, the home of the host (King Minos). Long sunk, raised for the games.
- The Minoans have a Hereditary Curse (which may or may not be a result of Backstory Horror). They're all dead.
- Minos' speeches often end up Chewing the Scenery.
- Jerkass Gods - Most of the Gods are this. They enjoy messing with mortals, and the whole premise for the Annual is so that the mortals fight for their enjoyment.
- God Emperor - Pharoah commands.
- Ancient Artefacts show up all over the place, from Famously Mundane, Fictionally Magical to Immortality Inducers.
- Minotaurs? What A Load of Bull.
- Various other Mix-and-Match Critters turn up in the arena as well.
- Philosophers tend to have Elemental Powers
- God Couples and Divine Dates abound (and frequently lead to drama). In fact, the gods are pretty much a giant Pantheon Sitcom.
- Not-So-Omniscient Council of Bickering - the Persian Magi.
- Or, in fact, most priests
- Duel Boss - the Champion of the Arena
- Persian Immortals aren't called that because they're literally immortal. Rather, their names live forever.
- Death of the Old Gods, or perhaps Götterdämmerung - On the cards in a number of nations
- Trips to the Underworld are often part of an Orphean Rescue
- The Persian psychopomp Namtar operates a Celestial Bureaucracy
- And of course Everybody Hates Hades
- Ramses, Pharoah's Favourite Goat Herder
- Badass Bookworm - The Library of Alexandria
- Faraz gets his own list of tropes:
Hypothetical Casting - Carthage
Hypothetical Casting - Egypt
Hypothetical Casting - Greece
Hypothetical Casting - Hellas Phoenicia
Hypothetical Casting - Persia
Hypothetical Casting - Rome
Hypothetical Casting - Others
- Minos - Brian Blessed