Just For Fun: Troper Shipping And Troper Dating Service
Pretty much the entire thread.
This is a thread about shipping. Beware! It is not about dating. At all. Many a troper has come in with an A/S/L and found themselves feeling like they've punched themselves in the face.
Some ships are canon here. Some ships are worthy of being blasted out of a cannon. Into the Sun.
But it is one big happy family. Well, the family part, especially, thanks to the Hopey Tree.
The whole thread from Page 1 is here
This forum contains the following tropes:
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Affectionate pats and nuzzles are often exchanged amongst the shippers.
- Affectionate Nickname: Many, many nicknames. The tropers have taken to shortening everyone’s handles and, for many, adding “-y” to the end. From the numerous shippers nicknamed with "-y" suffixes, we have:
- Diurnal Brocolli = Broc
- Boxen = Boxy / Boxxie
- Dopants = Dopey
- Earl of Sandvich = Earl/y
- Egregious One = Egghead, sometimes Eggman or Mr. Yaoi Hands (usually by Landorkus)
- Eskay 64 = Esky
- Explosivo 25 = Explo, Ploxo
- Indigo12ash = Indy
- Inhopelessguy = Hopey (or Hopey Jaeger from Landorkus)
- Landorkus = Landy
- Murky Muse = Murky (or Musey, mostly by terlwyth)
- Nerd Bird = Nerdy (and ocassionally, Birdy)
- Ramuf = Rammy
- Rachel = Red/RRR/Triple R/Domme
- Terlwyth = Terl/s/y
- That One Guy Named X = X
- Topographic Ocean = Topsy
- QuarterDollar = Quart/Tenner
- Philosopherstones = Newfie/Philly
- Arc Words: "OTP”
- Aroused By Their Voice: Nerdy often fangirls over the male shippers’ deep voices.
- This also works the other way,with plenty of male tropers praising Nerdy's voice, especially Terly.
- Berserk Button
- Big Bad: No one in particular, but the evil sockpuppet accounts that torment the poor shippers are in the running.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Seer, with his constant homicidal comments, comes off as more entertaining than dangerous.
- Big "NO!": Nerdy when Fido the Headcrab was knocked off her head by a knife-throwing Terly.
Nerd Bird: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT FIDO"
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Reggie breaks the fourth wall very often by narrating the events of the thread and addressing shippers with questions about the “plot”, to the point where this is his trademark. Terly also dabbles in occasional narration.
- Catch Phrase: Almost everyone has some sort of catch phrase or another.
Boxen:"HAI (INSERT SHIPPER HERE), HOW IS"
- Cloudcuckooland: The Troper Shipping and Troper Dating Service thread in general.
- Crack Pairing: Occurs often, the most popular ones including:
- Phantom x Seer
- Reggie x Seer
- Lior x Rammy
- Deadpan Snarker: Terly, Reggie and Seer.
- Dominatrix: Rachel
- Dysfunction Junction: Seeing as the thread is on TV Tropes, this is a given.
- The Hopey Tree is also this.
Landorkus: People assume that the Hopey tree is a strict progression from parent to child, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, father-sonny... stuff.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: More like Early Installment Not Weirdness. The thread started off as a relatively innocent on-topic place to light-heartedly ship together tropers. Now, it has blossomed into a dwelling of Mind-Screwiness, complete with genderbending, magical antics and, of course, rabid shipping.
- Everybody is Single: Averted. There are several canon couples that frequent the thread (see Official Couple). However, there are a LOT of single tropers.
- Everyone Is Bi: Not quite everyone, but there's a good number of bi people, including:
- Evil Counterpart: Some regular shippers have tremendously evil sockpuppet accounts that arise every now and then to wreak havoc on the tropers in the thread. Murky has Lorelei (an evil psychopathic witch that devours the souls of the tropers), Nerdy has Danniiee (a doppelganger that has been turned insane after been locked up in a basement for six months watching nothing than Jersey Shore repeats) and Dopey has Shadow Shikai.
- Also, JR has Evil!Jon, a doppelganger (gifted with facial hair) from an alternate timeline known as the “Darkest Timeline”.
- Face-Heel Turn: Seer, at one point reviving the thread, is now a homicidal nutbar.
- Fan Fiction: Shippers are known to have written Stylistic Suck fanfictions about the thread. Reggie even wrote a Nerdy x JR fanfiction on his blog and posted a link for all the tropers to see.
Nerd Bird: "EROTIC FANFICTION FTW"
- Friendless Background: Surprisingly, a lot of the shippers. Even the ones that do have friends have a small amount of real life acquaintances and have more Internet friends.
- Gender Bender: Happens quite frequently.
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: Many of the male (and some female) tropers have admitted to taking a liking to girl-on-girl.
- Guy on Guy Is Hot: There's also a fair share of yaoi fans.
- Group Hug: Upon the entry and exit of each shipper, the others band up to form a “cuddlepile” or a “marshmallow”.
- Heroic BSOD: Even the most chipper and cheeriest of tropers occasionally stumble across personal troubles, which generally lead to unusually depressive posting and time spent away from the thread to contemplate life.
- I Am A Humanitarian: That One Guy Named X and Landorkus have made on-and-off comments about eating people, once having a conversation that boiled down to eating babies in front of their(the babies', not their own) parents.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Played with for Rule of Funny. Shippers will sometimes “blurt” something out Freudian-style, strike through it and say an appropriate word instead.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Reggie, JR and Terly.
- Limited Social Circle: When new tropers appear in the thread, it is (most of the time) temporary and the regular shippers get surprised.
- Love Dodecahedron: The concepts of “bangs” and “squishes” alongside the concept of “crushes” has certainly made attraction quite a unique notion within the thread. “Bang” refers to a major crush, or someone you’re practically dating, and “squish” refers to someone you enjoy being around more than a friend, but not enough to be a romantic interest.
- Hopey’s incestuous Family Tree is a prime example of this.
- Memetic Sex Goddess: Nerdy.
- Meta Guy: JR.
- Mood Whiplash: Because of the constant updates and the nature of the thread, topics often jump from funny to intellectual to depressing to funny again.
- No Indoor Voice: HOPEY
- Official Couple:
- Indy and Pocky
- Pho and Pdam
- Landy and Boxy
- Eskay and Psyche
- Terl and Murky
- Hopey and Sappy
- Only Sane Man: Despite their efforts to come across as “sane” and “normal”, Terly, Murky, Reggie and Lior eventually get swept up in the big mess that is the thread.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: Seeing as it is a thread for shippers, not an awful lot of shipping occurs (it does happen, but it is not as often and sane as it should be).
- The Power of Friendship: Invoked when the “Super Happy Friendship Troper Team” is formed.
- Also, when a troper is anxious/stressed/depressed about something (generally personal circumstances), the others will band up to cheer said troper up. It usually works.
- Running Gag: Oh so many.
- Innuendo Thursday.
- Throwing mattresses at each other.
- Canon couples having a Weapon of Choice.
- Troper plushies.
- Ship Tease: Genderflip Terly is a pervert flirting with any guy that comes on
- Sanity Slippage: Seer to a certain extent and Danniiee (Nerdy’s evil sockpuppet account), after being forced to watch Jersey Shore repeats in Nerdy’s basement.
Nerd Bird: "You just went full nutjob. Never go full nutjob, Seer."
- Separated by a Common Language: Many of the American shippers when Nerdy referred to buying Pop Tarts from a “lolly shop.”
- Self-Deprecation: Pretty much everyone's reaction when praised.
- Shipper on Deck: Everyone in the thread.
- Ship Tease: JR and Nerdy frequently partake in Ship Tease.
- Terly and Morgi as well albeit only in the Gender Bender world,and in a similar but far more serious vein Newf and Morgi
- Special Edition Title: Avatars, signatures and taglines may change to suit either the personal circumstances of a troper or the happenings of the thread.
- Stereotype Flip: Many shippers who exhibit familiar stereotypes often flip them in unique and fascinating ways.
- Stylistic Suck: Some shippers (such as Boxy and Nerdy) often type deliberately in a bad fashion.
Boxen: "stahp pls"
- Sucky School: The younger shippers often complain of this.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Boxen tends to be suffocated every time he has a mattress thrown at him. He also gets shot often.
- Team Dad: Terly.
- Team Mom: Murky.
- Team Pet: Muffins the Tiger and Quincy the Kraken for Egregious One, Fido the Headcrab for Earl of Sandvich
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Oh so much. When an "OTP" couple flirt with each other, the others generally squee and order them to "just make out already".
- Weapon of Choice: As of page 5287, some shippers have this.
- Boxen has a knifebow, a bow that shoots knives.
- Di has a rocket launcher.
- JR Pictures has the Pixel Sword.
- Landorkus has her Vaginaxe, which is exactly what you think it is.
- Murky Muse's was revealed to be the ability of summon various Kaiju.
- Nerd Bird has a magical crystal staff.
- Terlwyth is armed with a huge chainsaw-hedge trimmer.
- Pocky has an axe. She is never seen without it.
- Pho is often armed with a javelin. Pdam, meanwhile, tends to alternate between fan and sword.
- Eskay has a crossbow... made of JUST. PURE. ENERGY.
- Lior is armed with a saber and a dagger.
- Newfie has a table. He Suplexes people through it.
- Explosivo has, rather fittingly, fireworks.
- Rachel has a baton, which she spanks with.
- Will They or Won't They?: Happens with a lot of the “OTP” couples.
- Yaoi Fanboy / Fangirl:
- Egregious One
- Yuri Fan: