Just For Fun: Josh Rain
"Spring Is Here."Josh Rain is an extremely formulaic high fantasy series about the adventures of Josh Rain and his loyal companion Sleet the wildcat on THE DOOR, a ship guarding the land of easteros from giant squid. Meanwhile, on the mainland, his half siblings struggle for power against evil queens and princess and ladies...etc.
— The words of House Subtle
- Action Girl: Anya Subtle, Igrette and Bryanna are major examples, though there are others.
- Like all of the Beach Lizards, Umberto Marcell's 10 daughters.
- Badass Princess: Alianna Marcell
- Although her crush on Lightsun makes her a bit of a Faux Action Girl. Poor Aaron Sprucebrain.
- Bond Creature: Sleet, Josh's noisy and normal looking wildcat
- Byronic Hero: Beigehappiness, James Lancaster
- Cool Pet: Sleet, again. Danni has five unicorns, but she can't control them, and they run around trying to gore people through the heart.
- Deadly Decadent Court: The Velvet Cushion in Queensport.
- Demoted to Extra: In the tv adaptation, this is the fate of Kate's uncle, The Achromatictrout. In the show, during scenes at Creektrot you'll only see an extra who looks like he could be him. While in the book he's the most badass character ever.
- Depraved Bisexual: Danni and Ceecee, with an emphasis on the depraved. Also Umberto Marcell.
- Evil Matriarch: Kate Subtle and Ceecee Benetton are the worst examples, but there are many more.
- Genius Bruiser: Josh Rain knows everything.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Every single female ruler in the series is evil.
- Gold Digger: Shelley, Tyler Lancaster's mistress, fits the bill. Some argue Jaclyn Oesterner had similar motives for marrying Ron Subtle, though it's currently unclear within the text.
- Heroic Bastard: Josh Rain.
- Jerkass Woobie: James Lancaster
- Les Yay: Rosemary and Lucy.
- Magic A Is Magic A: Magic is easy to learn and reliable. and over-freaking-used.
- Marty Stu: Some fans accuse Josh and Ron of being stus. These fans are wrong.
- Meaningful Name: Ted, Kate, Ron, Lucy, Anya, Brian, and Dick Subtle.
- Mildly Military: While the Day's Unwatch is supposed be a pun on "on watch", un-watch suits them much better.
- Phrase Catcher: "Wowwww, You know everything, Josh Rain!"
- Psycho Lesbian: Rosemary Tyrone. and yet people still ship her with Jethro, Josh, and Ron
- Race Lift: Keira Knightley was a popular fancast for Jaclyn, so fans were SHOCKED when they cast her as Katerina Graham.
- Resurrection Sickness: Every time Taurus of Beer brings Derik Carrion back to life, Derik spends at least a day sounding like he's stoned.
- The Scrappy: Lucy Subtle, Kate Subtle and Ceecee Benetton but then..they are evil. Jaclyn Oesterner
- Sex for Solace: Jaclyn 'comforts' Ron after he learns Beigehappiness has 'murdered' his two brothers.
- Smug Snake: Bigthumb isn't half as good as you think he is.
- Twincest: Ceecee and James Bannister. Ted found out. It didn't go well for him.
- Wham Episode: The Blue Breakfast, when Jaclyn and Kate arranged for Ron and all his friends to be strangled over two towering plates of french fries
- Yaoi Guys: Rowley and Lorax.