- The Angry Video Game Nerd, on his Super Mecha Death Christ: "FUCKEEEERRRSS!!! FUCKEEERRRSSS!!!" When the Nerd utters the words "Holy shit," SMDC turns on him with "WATCH YOUR FUCKING LANGUAGE!!!" Then again, he may have been taking offense to blasphemy rather than vulgarity.
- In his reviews of the Friday the 13th films, he comments on Corey Feldman's introduction with "Who wears a costume to play video games?" Cut to a clip from his review of Batman games dressed as Batman.
- Seems it may become a regular thing: while taking us on a tour of his game collection, he's outraged at the condition of some of the used games he's picked up, saying that he always takes care of his games. Cut to him drilling a hole through one in the Dick Tracy review.
- In his The Wizard of Oz game review, the Nerd kind of freaks out when the cowardly lion swears, even though swearing is something the Nerd is a natural at doing.
- The Angry Video Game Nerd's reason for not using Game Genie on Castlevania III:
AVGN: ...because I'm going to do this legit. Now where's that extra lives code? (pulls out Nintendo Power's Top Secret Player's Guide)
- In his Wally Bear and the No! Gang review, he says "let's say 'no' to drugs" directly before drinking beer.
- This episode of Baman Piderman sees Baman at one point accuse Squid of doing nothing but be lazy. It then cuts to a shot of Baman and Piderman lying on the floor doing nothing but reach for a jar of peanut butter.
- The Binder of Shame depicts a particularly horrifying game master by the name of Biff Bam. Under his house rules for Call of Cthulhu "real men have no fear" so "the less sanity points you have, the more gay you are". He actually forces the players to act this out; "You failed your sanity roll again [...] now your character not only has a limp wrist which gives him a dexterosity modifier, but he also speaks with a lisp. You better be lisping when you talk, got it?" Over the course of the game, he shamed everyone into stripping to the waist because it was hot in the room and the window was stuck, and enforced his rulings by physically wrestling complainers into submission.
- Chester A. Bum proved that he would never let out the F-bombs or S-smokes and that he was a Mormon in his AVGN vs NC review. Starting from his Iron Man 2 review, however...
- Cinema Sins: during Everything Wrong With Battleship in Six Minutes or Less'':
"This movie censors the word [BLEEP], I mean who does that?"
- Subverted in this comic (see its description if you can't figure out why subverted).
- This Cracked.com illustrates its subject by the way of Self-Demonstrating Article parody. The hilariously anvilicious cartoons treating the viewers as morons, "mind reading" and spelling out the assumed strawman points and label everything. So it shows examples of these, then treats the readers as morons, guessing and spelling out the assumed points reduced to strawmanship and anviliciously comments on what's where and who's what in each case even more. The point of the article, obviously, ends up perfectly illustrated. By the way, the entry you just read was an Expo Label...
- There's a couple instances of this in Death Note Abridged (Dogface701):
Ryuk: Hey Light, there's this big, ugly, scary lookin' guy following you.Light: Ryuk, for the last time I know you're there!Ryuk: No, not me!
- In Death Note The Abridged Series KPTS 4 TV when Light calls out Near for acting immature:
Light: What are you, ten?Near: I'm twelve!
Gevanni: Are you kidding me?! Dude! I'm on the phone! You're being extremely rude! SHUT UP!
- Light insists he's not out to cheat on Misa or have a threesome with Misa and Kiyomi because it's against his morals "...and believe me, I know a lot about morals." In the very next scene when Light gets desperate to prove he's straight he suggests to Kiyomi that they have threesome with Misa.
- Gevanni ( Raye Penber) has this to say to a dying criminal in his death thoes while loudly talking on his cell phone in public:
- This Death Note fancomic in which Light speaks out against sexual objectification while 1) demeaning Misa and 2) allowing L to do the very thing he scolds Misa for.
- One Demotivational Poster had a picture of a stick figure saying "Demotivators that say exactly what the picture says aren't funny". The poster said "DEMOTIVATORS THAT SAY EXACTLY WHAT THE PICTURE SAYS: They aren't funny".
- Derek the Bard complains about nerds being around in his Con Bravo video.
- Dr. Horrible does this in Sarcasm Mode (used as an example on the trope's page): "Wow. Sarcasm. That's original!" He seems to figure it out a second later, judging by the pause and the look on his face after.
- This Downfall parody on Youtube has Hitler ranting about how unoriginal it is to make Downfall parodies.
- Echo Chamber uses this frequently.
- In an episode of Epic Meal Time, Harley calls the audience perverts for wanting to watch a little girl eat the Massive Meat Log—then the reverse angle shows him and all of his friends doing the exact same thing.
- The Gaming Pixie wraps up her (already Fanservice-y) Metroid review by ranting on the best ending's "gratuitous fanservice" for putting Samus in a bikini. Guess what she ends up wearing?
- The Guild has a more subtle example. Bladezz's sister asks if any of his internet friends are pervs, and Zaboo, who takes Stalker with a Crush to it's creepiest/most hilarious extreme, immediately replies "No, no one's a perv." with a completely straight face.
- In the House To Astonish 2012 "Homie" awards, Al Kennedy complains about Brian Michael Bendis's All -New X-Men, because Emma Frost's speech patterns have changed so drastically it's like she's being written with a different accent. This is in between the winners being anounced by big name US comic book professionals with British regional accents.
- In episode 6 of The Joker Blogs, Scarecrow and Joker sit next to each other in the Arkham cafeteria for a while before a ticked-off Joker orders "Mr. Potato Head" to leave.
Joker: (muttering after him) Freak.
- One bit of porn in Kristen's Archive starts out decrying the unrealistic fantasies in the other porns: It makes me sick to my stomach when I read the stories in this archive, so I wrote one myself.
- "Thank my lucky stars I’m not superstitious!"
- In Do You Have a Short Attention Span? by Matt Santoro, Matt criticizes Amazon's decision to abridge their 80,000-word books to 10,000 words. He says, "And what about the Harry Potter series? They would have to fly Harry from his house on Privet Drive straight to the Battle of Hogwarts with no knowledge of the Horcrux or how to defeat Lord Voldemort!" Then, his nerdy clone Eugene comes in, and says, "Oh god, Matt, you are truly a nerd."
- Mr Deity: "Who uses "an" with a H-word? That's an horrendous idea."
- In The Nostalgia Critic review of Captain N he makes a joke about the creators leaving out a background in a few scenes, saying "I mean seriously, what moron would just have a Plain. White. Background. The whole entire time? [Beat]. He'd be a fucking idiot." No points for guessing what the background of his show is.
"SCREAMING IN EVERY OTHER SENTENCE IS NOT FUNNY! IT IS LOUD AND ANNOYING! AND ANYONE WHO DOES IT SHOULD BE SHOT! [gets shot in the forehead] UNSHOT! [the wound disappears] AND GIVEN A BAG OF MONEY! [a bag of money appears in his hands to his surprise. A beat...] ...how about some lounge music? [lounge music plays] Yeah!"
- Later on he reviews a Nickelodeon sketch with the basis of its humor based entirely on random shouting.
"And is there anything more annoying than someone that just screams every other line they say? I MEAN THAT'S REALLY OBNOXIOUS!"
- He does this again in his Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom review.
- During one of the infamous padding sequences in Star Trek The Motionless Picture, NC comments that this is just "watching a bunch of footage and seeing someone comment on it! Who would want to watch that?"
- In the crossover review of Les Misérables (2012) with Oancitizen and Paw Dugan, the three condemn the Love at First Sight trope is ridiculous — at which point Maven bursts and and, sure enough, she and Paw immediately fall in love, and do a montage of their love while singing about how stupid the trope is.
- In his The Last Airbender review he mentions the race lifting amongst the cast of the film and says that there's nothing worse than misrepresenting characters by getting their skin colors wrong, which is immediately agreed upon by "Katara" and "Sokka"... who are being played by a white girl and a black man.
- In regards to Frozen, the "Are you sick of 'Let It Go'?" editorial is a complaint about the flood of "Let It Go" remakes... in the form of a "Let It Go" remake.
- The Nostalgia Chick does this quite a lot, as being a hypocrite who is not actually as smart or as above it all as she likes to believe is at the root of her character.
"Who's going to be interested in a female character who is pretty shamelessly a knock-off of her already popular male counterpart? ... heh ... " [pouts]
- While reviewing She-Ra: Princess of Power:
- As Fredrik K.T.Andersson once described Censor Box:
How can I show this filth to my friends?!Nay! For it is too good not to show, but too nude to let me do it without fear nor shame!
- Forms the basis of a lot of the humor in Pete the Puppet.
- In the Pittsburgh Dad episode "Little League":
Pittsburgh Dad: Hey Simmons, quit that trash-talkin'. I remember when we were in high school, you struck out in kickball. Loser!
- In Rosy The Rascal 15's Randomness 5 video, in the first sketch, Lt. Jerry rules out Taco Bell being the cause of Shadow and Cream's deaths, referring to those at Taco Bell as "damn Mexicans". Jerry himself happens to be Mexican.
- ScrewAttack: The Top 10 Zombie Games video has Craig complaining about a continuity error, Then the next game on the list is ranked upside down # 3 with a # 1 voiceover.
- Craig put Stryker on the Top 10 Worst Mortal Kombat Characters list, with one of the reasons being that anyone who wears a backwards cap looks stupid.
- Sean Malstrom: "Have you ever worked with a genius? They are horrible to work with! It is because they think they are right in everything!" Because you've never acted remotely the same, have you, Sean?
- The Spoony Experiment: Noah insults the people who cried at Aerith's death in Final Fantasy VII, and we cut to him weeping at the opera scene from Final Fantasy VI.
- Dr. Insano also complains about the protagonist of The Dungeonmaster using his computer to fire lasers, saying how ridiculous it would be for him to just start shooting lightning out of his hands shouting SCIENCE!. Yeah, about that...
- In one of Spoony's Vlogs, he claims that Portal references are played out only to make one in his very next video. He gave a Hypocrisy Nod in the latter's commentary, though.
- In Suburban Knights, the Big Bad is completely against technology. Saying you are okay with the 21st century in front of his face is generally a good way to die. However, he does own a smartphone. He specifically states that at least he isn't a hypocrite, and it immediately becomes clear that he doesn't actually know what the word means.
- Tales of MU uses this, both to underscore the Unreliable Narrator (who denies any interest in her classmates' chests and then mentions being so shocked that she looks up and meets their eyes) and to poke fun at the informal writing style, as when Mackenzie mentions her campaign letter containing barely any ellipses.
- Todd in the Shadows on Lady Gaga: "What kind of person makes some creepy weird video of themselves where you can't see their eyes? That's just crazy!" (Hiding his face is Todd's gimmick.)
"Some people just can't take a Goddamn hint!"
- Todd has been stalking Obscurus Lupa, despite her continued (and vocal) objections. However, his response to The Nostalgia Chick repeatedly asking him for a date?
- In his appearance on Atop the Fourth Wall to discuss KISS, he mocks Linkara for being a nerd and laughs at the idea of reviewing a comic book, yet compares the politics of Chumbawumba to V for Vendetta, and specifies that it's the comic book rather than the movie.
- When he sees a picture of Justin Bieber in a grey hoodie, he screams "You look like a loser!"
- In Ultra Fast Pony, "Now With a Sound Effect", the characters demonstrate Medium Awareness to comment on the improved video quality and lip-synching. Twilight Sparkle's line about the lip-synching plays over a video clip where her mouth isn't moving at all.
- Women and children board first. I catch a young man trying to board by way of a lifeboat. Unseemly. I throw him off and take his place..
- In ''You're a wizard, Harry'' we get the following exchange:
Harry: Listen here, Hagrid, you fat oaf. I'm not a fucking wizard.Hagrid: For God's sake Harry what is with this language!? You're a FUCKING WIZARD!
- Their language only gets worse from this point on.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series does this during the 3D movie. The first thing Yuusei says when he meets another protagonist is "What is wrong with his/your hair?" Which is a good question, but Yuusei looks like this.
- Done earlier when Bandit Keith and Kemo meet:
Keith: I've won ten star chips.. in America!Kemo: My hair is inviting you to enter the castle!Keith: Don't mind if I do! [thinking] Man, that guy sure likes talking about his hair.Kemo: [thinking] Man, that guy sure likes talking about America.
- In Evil Council 5, there's this Take That at piracy apologists:
Steve Luna: On the Moon, we have evolved beyond stealing! That's why I illegally downloaded Skyrim: I wanted to see if it was worth paying full price. 60 hours later, I decided that it wasn't.
- Done earlier when Bandit Keith and Kemo meet:
- During a crossover review of Pokemon3, Linkara's introduced complaining about film noir monologing. By doing a film noir monologue.
- Orange Is The New Black uses this a fair amount. Two examples from the episode "The Chickening":
Red: Black girls hear about a chicken, of course this will happen.Chapman: Why? Because all black people love chicken?Red: Don't be racist! Because they're all on heroin. Somebody's been telling them there's heroin in the chicken.
Red: Those Spanish probably won't even eat [the chicken], just cut her throat and drink her blood, or something else superstitious. All I wanted was to eat the chicken that is smarter than other chickens and to absorb its power. And make a nice Kiev.
- Later, from that same exchange:
- This Jacksfilms video, titled "A Message To All YouTubers".
- In the first episode of Famicom Dojo, Sean says that turning on The Famicom exposes orange paint behind the switch. He questions who would say that seven episodes later.
- This screen cap—"anime is for kids!" (reads Naruto manga).
- The Music Video Show:
- In episode 21: "This part of the video uses split screen? Yeah, how original." Said when the video is using, and uses, split screen images.
- Third Rate Gamer uses this a lot.
Why the fuck would something start with an intro? This intro is just horrible! (cut to his intro)
- From his Home Improvement review:
TRG: Anyway, Mufasa (actually a grown-up Simba) has three forms of attack. He can claw at the enemies, jump on the enemies, and shit on the enemies. *Feces land on in-game enemies*
- In his The Lion King review, he criticizes The Angry Video Game Nerd, saying all he talks about is shitting on things. Directly after that:
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged
- Guru calls Kami a pretentious prick for calling himself God* . Immediately after that, Guru tells Nail to call him Super Kami Guru.
Nail: Can't I just call you Guru for short?
Guru: Super Kami Guru allows this.
- In the Christmas Special:
Tien: (after he is revealed to be Jewish) I'm just trying to be culturally sensitive... you Buddhist ass!
Krillin: (a little offended) Well, happy holidays to you, too.
- Vegeta displayed this when attacked for the second time by Yajirobe.
Vegeta: You... you cut through my armor! This was a gift from my father!
Yajirobe: I'm sorry, I'm sure your father was a great man.
Vegeta: I hated my father!
Yajirobe: Oh, well then I'm sure he was a total prick.
Vegeta: [attacks Yajirobe]' How dare you talk about my father like that!
- Whenever someone announced the name of their special attack with grandeur, Piccolo is quick to insult it (an early example being his "Laaaaame!" response to Krillin's Destructo Disk). Then there are Nail's reactions to Piccolo's own current (Special Beam Cannon) and proposed (Hellzone Grenade) attack names.
- Krillin laughs at how little Gohan has grown in the 3 years preparing for the androids. Goku points this out in his usual fashion.
- In Revenge of Cooler Cooler will stand around and talk about how he's better than Freeza, who would stand around and talk.
- Guru calls Kami a pretentious prick for calling himself God* . Immediately after that, Guru tells Nail to call him Super Kami Guru.
- The blog, Mary Sue Problems, has some examples.
Gary Stu Problem #4: I can't help it if I don't have feelings for a girl who likes me. But if a girl doesn't like me back, then it's obviously because she's a total bitch.Mary Sue Problem #989: "I'm not like other girls." they chant. Over and over again. They are the legion. They are Many.
- In the Jill Valentine episode of Assist Me, Max (who is noted to not be the best actor), Wesker (who barely resembles his character), and Doctor Doom (whose voice alone chews on scenery like hungry piranha) remember not-too-fondly about the first Resident Evil.
Wesker: "Besides, could you imagine if Jill was represented the way she was in the original Resident Evil games? With those terrible look-a-like performers..."Max : "...horrible actors..."Doom : "...AND EXTREMELY CHEESY VOICE OVERS!"*all slowly turn to the camera*
- Discussed in the "CarDunkEn" episode of Achievement Hunter's Let's Play Grand Theft Auto V when Geoff, the leader of the group and a guy who really hates his Let's Plays going Off the Rails, accidentally fires a Rocket at Jack's Cargobob, damaging it but not destroying it. As they calm down, Gavin mentions that he likes how Geoff gets angry when people mess around and then he pulls stunts like that.
- During Sips' Trouble In Terrorist Town series, Turpster commits RDM on a frequent basis, breaking the rules and eventually pressing Lewis Brindley's Berserk Button (video here, causing him to vow to kill Turps in the next round, irrespective of either's allegiance. After he makes good on his threat and it turns out Turps was innocent, people understandably try to take him down. In the ensuing bloodbath, Lewis guns down Sips in self-defence, then fires on Trott unprovoked and kills him too before finally being taken down. Turps calls him out on this, and the Hypocritical Humour is lampshaded when Smiffy calls it "the worst case of RDM I have ever seen".
Sips: Lewis has been more effective than all the traitors combined this round.
- In yet another case committed by Lewis Brindley, he calls Smiffy out during the first episode of the second Yogscast TTT playthrough, accusing him and Simon Lane of manipulating him since they were both traitors and Simon chose to help Lewis to earn his trust. In that same round, Lewis had inadvertently been ghosting note himself, calling out Simon as his killer mere seconds after dying.
- In another case at the hands of the Yogscast, Sjin accuses the traitors of being "RDM Motherfuckers". Sjin was the only person that committed RDM that round, specifically against Lewis (for once on the receiving end). Lewis promptly calls him out and Sips starts mock-whining.
- In this episode of Trouble In Terrorist Town on Sips' channel, Hannah Rutherford shouts at Duncan Jones to find better cover, since Lewis can still see Duncan, has a sniper rifle, and is taking pot shots at his head (the only part exposed). She then forgets to heed her own advice and stands in an equally bad hiding spot, where Lewis picks her off.
- In a Let's Watch of Evan Bernardi's Easter Egg - Snow on Mt. Silver by Bad Creepypasta, Toby made a crack about Blake's messy hair only for Jacob to call him out and mentioning that his hair wasn't any better. Jacob then posted a picture of Toby's hair before his haircut.