Tropers Online: 3,247
[ Login for more options ]
Hoist By His Own Petard: Theatre
- + Create New
Theatre can't afford to lose valuable actors, and one of the most convincing "deaths" is by the dying character's own machinations.
- In Oklahoma!, Jud Fry dies when he tries to stab Curly with a knife and falls on it himself.
- Stand-up comedian & ventriloquist Jeff Dunham's wife had the idea to breed their pet Chihuahua, resulting in the runt of the litter, Rusty, who Jeff claims will urinate on his wife in the middle of the night when the two have an unresolved argument.
- One of Jeff's puppets, Achmed the Dead Terrorist, was killed when his incompetency at suicide bombing resulted in Achmed being the only victim of his own bomb.
- In Punch and Judy, a traditional part of the story sees Punch about to be hanged for his many crimes, but he can't understand what to do with the noose... so the Hangman puts it around his own neck to show the condemned man what's supposed to happen, whereupon Punch pulls the lever.
- The Trope Namer is Hamlet, in which King Claudius' plan to poison Hamlet ends with being poisoned himself.
- And the line itself refers to his forging a royal execution order for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, when they were taking him to be executed.
- Additionally, Laertes is slain by Hamlet with his own poison-tipped foil.
- In Pokémon Live!, Jessie and James fall into their own pit trap.
- Later, Giovanni gave MechaMew2 the ability to "learn", which results in it "learning" the difference between good and evil thanks to Mewtwo and Ash. Having learned right from wrong and which one Giovanni is, MechaMew2 tries to take Giovanni with it by blowing up.