Ho Yay: Watchmen
- As Watchmen is the Deconstructor Fleet of the superhero genre, the homosexuality subtext was addressed. Two male members of the Minutemen were having a closet relationship (with Hooded Justice not being a huge fan of monogamy, and a large fan of S&M), and the lesbian Silhouette was cast out of the team after she was outed (we're talking about The Thirties here). Aside from the official Ho Yay, some suggest subtext between many male characters, most popular pairing being Rorschach and Nite Owl II.
- This despite Rorschach's expressed contempt (in narration, no less) for homosexuals, though one might argue he was just deeply, deeply in the closet, even to himself.
- The bottle of cologne that Rorschach nicks from Dan is specifically marketed towards homosexual men. Make of that what you will.
- The new Before Watchmen: Comedian mini-series suggests that part of what drove Eddie Blake to become such a monster was the fact that he was really good friends with John F. Kennedy, and watching Jack get shot down just crystallized his own cynicism about humanity.
- Wait, so Before Watchmen has retconned it being Eddie behind the Grassy Knoll?