Ho Yay: The Ren & Stimpy Show
The Original Series
- The title characters are the spitting image of the stereotypical 1950s husband and wife, with Stimpy as the fussy housewife and Ren as the exasperated "working stiff", Ren delivering frequent Domestic Abuse to an absolutely submissive Stimpy (unless the episode required something different), and the both of them sleeping in the same bed.
- This song is more than enough to know there's something going on, with lines like "I've never asked for anything, just your happiness" or "And just once, when you strike that pose, could you think of me?".
- Despite the subject of Ren and Stimpy being more than friends appearing as a harmless joke in the original show, the Adult Party Cartoon series, though not official, explicitly confirmed it.
- "Son of Stimpy": A distraught Stimpy is at the door calling for his "son" Stinky. Ren tries to get him inside to decorate the tree, then points up at the mistletoe hanging over the door, bites his lip and coyly bats his eyelashes. Stimpy screams "That's all you can THINK OF!" in response. Yeah, that's not even trying to hide it.
- In this same episode, when Stimpy's "son" introduces his fiancÚ to Stimpy and Ren. They are holding each others, and sing "Memoriiiiiies".
- Nurse Stimpy's notorious sponge bath sequence — everything about it note . The whole thing played out as a straight guy "giving in to the moment" with another male.
Ren: You know, this is kind of nice. In fact, I feel better already. You're so good to me, Stimpy. It is kind of embarassing, though."
- The amount of times Stimpy orders Ren to open his mouth in that episode is highly disturbing. Granted he's Ren's nurse, but the mischevous/enthusiastic expressions he puts on while doing that encourages further implications (to those whose minds choose to go into the gutter). The medicine taking scene is really exaggerated, with making the spoon REALLY huge and Ren mentioning that "that's some icky-tasting stuff!" (had Ren mentioned that it was medicine, then it wouldn't have been so risque) and the countless Double Entendres ("Now, swallow every little drop! Isn't it tasty?").
- John Kricfalusi himself said different things about their sexuality at different points in the series' run - from "I don't know. It's not my business", through "when it's funny", to eventually confirming them as a gay couple in a magazine released in 1997 (and when he briefly revived the show for Spike TV under the name "Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon.")
- It's more than implied that Stimpy is a Living Emotional Crutch to Ren. In the very first episode, Stimpy leaves Ren (temporarily). Ren falls to pieces within the first five minutes.
- Not to mention Ren giving Stimpy a kiss on the lips in his sleep, while lustfully murmuring that they will exchange saliva. However, when he wakes up, he screams and goes to wash his mouth. Note that Stimpy was awake all the time, and eagerly kicks his foot in the air when Ren pets him and kisses him.
- In "The Great Outdoors", Stimpy suggests skinny diving. Ren tells him that he's crazy, and Stimpy responds with "Come on, Ren, you'll like it" as he looks back at him slyly while taking off his skin. The looks Ren gives Stimpy just sells it.
- Not to mention, Stimpy's over-enthusastic demand to Ren to take off his underwear. Ren refuses for a few moments, but eventually gives in, and goes into the lake. When he reaches Stimpy, the latter says "Well, hello there" in a very seductive manner. It's so blatant that you wonder if there were any shippers on the staff.
- In "My Shiny Friend", Ren orders Stimpy to make him his dinner and flirtatiously adds, "And now I'm going to change into something more comfortable."
- In "Insomniac Ren", Stimpy has a dream in which he mothers a brood of cats and a puppy, who all resembles Ren and Stimpy. He even breast-feeds them. Then when Ren comes in yelling ("What is this?!"), they start crying, Stimpy uneasily exclaiming: "You're scaring the children, Ren!"
Adult Party Cartoon
- "Onward & Upward": Ren forces Stimpy to repeat "You're the pitcher, I'm the catcher!" several times. What prompted the line was a conversation about Stimpy wanting to have sex, but Ren said he's too tired. Then later, there's a callback when Stimpy tries to ask again, but stops midway through thinking Ren is too tired again. Ren has other plans, however, and seduces him.
- In "The Altruists", there's the infamous saw-log scene between Ren and Stimpy which almost plays out just like a gay sex scene. It contains Stimpys pants, gasps and his orgasm as Ren goes at sawing. It ends with Ren's saw going limp, and Stimpy wanting to do some aftermath cuddling.
- In "Naked Beach Frenzy", Stimpy is jealous that Ren checks out all the women and tries to get his attention by wearing a thong. He also calls him "honey" throughout the episode.