- One of the most influential Ho Yay moments is probably this exchange of lines:
Murdoc: I saved your life, you owe me your soul.
- In another interview:
Murdoc: Erm, Russel, if you touch my leg one more time in this interview, I'm calling the cops, OK?
- Murdoc has repeatedly been implied to have some same-gender desires, not the least of these instances being at the end of the "DARE" video.
- In the "Dirty Harry" music video when Noodle, Murdoc, and Russel show up in the ATV, Murdoc briefly gets out and is shown staring at 2D and clearly appreciating what he sees, before noticing one of the kids staring at him too, so he slaps the kid and averts his gaze.
- Word of God when asked if there was anything between 2D and Murdoc was "Highly unlikely, but use your imaginations."
- The odd placement of the teeth marks of the love bite that 2D sports on the Demon Days cover could suggest that said love bite was made by Murdoc.
- The chloroform scene would be quite suggestive between 2D and Murdoc if taken out of context.
- Even before the chloroform scene there's a bit of Ho Yay — Murdoc slaps 2D for speaking out of turn (or something along those lines), and his high-pitched shriek of a response sounds ridiculously pornographic, especially considering it comes from a man. Murdoc ordering him around afterward doesn't really help things, either: "Silence! I'm spinning the disks here! You just sit there and shut it until I say so!"
- Murdoc had a habit of stealing or scaring away 2D's girlfriends and kidnapped him, which some claim that is a sign of possessiveness. Plus, he called 2D "pretty" a few times.
- Murdoc, answering a fan question about if it gets lonely on Plastic Beach with just 2D around, had him responding with, "I have measures in place to alleviate said loneliness, and I won't go into great detail about that."
- 2D, who worships Murdoc, didn't make things easier with this line: "Er... I don't want to scare you Murdoc, but I'm locked in here with you. I do have a key somewhere but I can't find it. I've been watching you... sleeping and... you're quite... beautiful... when you're quiet".
- In Rise Of The Ogre, it's mentioned that 2D has dedicated a song to Murdoc, which can have multiple interpretations, given the heartbroken voice he uses for the song, quite different than his usual, unemotional voice. Apparently, he probably directed the song at Murdoc to express the bitter feeling he had after all the painful experiences he had to go through because of him, especially since 2D saw Murdoc as someone to look up to, even though the song can be perceived as something else entirely at times. Because of the song, 2D can also be viewed as some sort of Love Martyr, although it's unclear if it's in a platonic way or not.
- Then there's this chat between 2D and Murdoc from 'Demon Days Live on Manchester':
Murdoc: Ugh... I think I'd rather be having some kind of medical operation, than sit here talking to you. Oh, dear god, you really are such an arse.Murdoc: You can definitely cut that one out for a start!
- There's this from the Gorillaz official forums:
Fan: Have you picked up a nice boy with a pair of chopsticks yet?Noodle: That is very funny. Murdoc says that he can pick up boys with chopsticks but he has used his dictaphone. I do not understand this.
- 2D and Murdoc in New York. Notice 2D watching intently as Murdoc imitates sex acts.
- Could have been entirely accidental or not, but, given the fact that 2D is really tall, Murdoc made a comment that was quite suggestive, or at least affectionate:
Murdoc: I love New York.2D: Why is that?Murdoc: Ermm... I dunno, it's just really tall, I'm in love with tall things, ya know? (stares at 2D, who stares back).
- And this exchange of lines from 'Radio XFM':
Murdoc: This is tomorrow comes today. Heh, hey! 2D, why don't you come on and join me? It will be fun!2D: You sure?Murdoc:Yeaaah, come on, mate, I haven't seen you properly for ages. Hop on up.2D: You're not gonna hit me, are you?Murdoc: Nooo, mate, nooo. Look, you and me need to stick together, remember? You know, you're thick... I'm hard, eh?
- The newspaper comic in "DoYaThing"(at 3:41).
- In "Rise of the Ogre", after being told the story about how 2D fell out of a tree and had all his hair grow back blue, Murdoc asks "Collars and cuffs?' to which 2D "looks down awkwardly, scratching his head." Yes, Murdoc has inquired about the color of 2D's pubic hair.
- Murdoc makes a few uneasy references to being attracted to men in episode one of the Pirate Radio broadcasts, generally followed by frenzied laughter.
- 2D seems to be wearing a straight razor around his neck with "Murdoc" engraved on it in one of the Gorillaz 2017 live tour promo shots.◊
Ho Yay / Gorillaz
Surprisingly or not, the English animated band Gorillaz has its own fair share of Ho Yay.