- Val rushing to save Mindy from the Graboid about to eat her in the first movie, one of the very few successful rescue attempts.
- After Val and Earl come up with a plan to escape on the CAT, Val and Earl argue over who should run to the bulldozer. Val and Earl end up doing the rock-paper-scissors routine. In the end Earl wins, then Val elbows Earl in the gut and runs like hell for the bulldozer.
- In the first film, after the last Graboid spits out the explosive onto Burt's pile of bombs, sending everyone scattering. Everyone tries to distract it so the now stranded Val, Earl and Rhonda can get back to safety. Burt even goes so far as to leave the safety of the rocks to get the beasts attention.
Burt: (steps on the ground to attract the Graboid) Fresh meat.
- Rhonda's heartfelt (if blunt) thanks to Val for saving her from a Graboid earlier.
Rhonda: Well, thanks for everything, you know, saving my life and stuff.
- While the character Val could have gone without an explanation for being written out of the sequel. I Always liked the written-in explanation for his absence, he got his happy ending! ...Unlike poor Burt.
Ortega: We have already contacted your partner, Seņor McKee, but he was unwilling to help us...
Earl: Sure. Val married a good woman. Why would he want to die?