Heartwarming: Tales of the Abyss
- When King Ingobert accepts Natalia as his daughter after he knows full well that she is not his real daughter.
Tear: Why are...you here?Luke?: This place has a nice view of Hod. And also...I promised someone.
- Also when all the citizens of Baticul help Natalia to escape her execution, because they don't care that she's not royal by birth, she's a good leader and they want to keep her as the princess of Kimlasca.
- When Duke Fabre and Susannah accept Luke as their son too, and not just as a clone of their son, despite his frequent arguments that Asch is superior to him in every way
- Related to that: when Luke tricks Asch into reuniting with his parents after seven years, and they treat him exactly as you would a long-lost son. Quite possibly one of the few times you feel Asch is happy, despite himself.
- "You're the only Ion that matters to me" and "Replica or whatever, you're real to me."
- Pretty much Guy's loyalty in general. Him going back for Luke, and numerous conversations, including: "But I . . . I want you to stay alive, no matter what anyone else says." And "Even if the rest of the world abandoned you, I'd still be here, by your side."
- Guy waiting for Luke after the rest of the team temporarily disowns him.
- "He may be an idiot, but he's my idiot!"
- If you think that Luke is the one that returns at the end of the game, then it's heartwarming to see Tear cry out of joy that Luke kept his promise.
"Luke. How you've changed."
- Jade coming out of his shell a little and admitting that he considers Luke a friend while in Daath. Tears were shed.
- And just after the final battle: When he shakes Luke's hand, as his friend
- Especially poignant if you notice that Jade uses his sword arm for this.
Jade: To be honest, when I first met you, I thought I'd never be able to like you.Luke: I felt the same way. You were obnoxious and insulting.Jade: But, well, since we've been traveling together, I've come to think you're...not so bad.Luke: ...Are you being serious for a change...?Jade: Yes. I know about the nightmares that still wake you in the middle of the night. For you... the Fall of Akzeriuth still isn't a part of the past.Luke: Well yeah...what do you expect?Jade: On nights when you've killed bandits or Oracle Soldiers...you lie there awake, shaking.Luke: ...I'm a coward...Jade: No...That part of you is something I lack. I...still can't really grasp what it means for people to die.Luke: Jade...Jade: I've learned a lot of things by watching you.Luke: I'm glad I traveled with you, Jade. Thanks to you, I've learned what I need to do. It's not the same as Master Van but...you're still a teacher and a mentor to me.Jade: I HATE teaching. I don't take apprentices. I don't impart knowledge.Luke: That's okay. I'll just steal it on my own.Jade: Oh? Heh heh...All right.
- During one visit to Keterburg, talking to Jade results in this:
- There is also the scene after the destruction of Akzeriuth when Luke was looking for reassurance that what happened was not completely his fault but every one condemned him and abandoned him except Mieu who said that he also accidentally killed a lot of people and knew how Luke felt, while his wording might not have been the best the Cheagle's heart was in the right place.
- Luke is not playable for a short while after the first duel with Asch in Yulia City. Mieu fervently stays at Luke's side, even if it means depriving the party of the Sorcerer's Ring - Mieu will NOT abandon his master, no matter what.
- Luke and Tear on the Albiore in the water before the final battle. Heartwarming moment ahoy.
- After defeating Nebilim's replica, the party reassures (Luke in particular) Jade that he shouldn't be so hard on himself. Jade, in his own roundabout way, thanks them for helping him finally come to terms with his personal demons.
- "I never considered you as just a servant, Guy!" From our resident Jerk Ass hero, Luke fon Fabre.
- Four very simple words in the ending that's heartwarming and mixed with Tear Jerker at the same time:
Tear: Luke...I love you.
- In the english version, the last three do not have a text box. They are meant only for Luke. Breaking the Fourth wall has never hurt so sweet.
- Asch comforting Natalia and reciting his promise to her before he was kidnapped and explaining that it doesn't matter if she's a princess or not.
- Luke and Tear's relationship post Important Haircut, she doesn't give up even if he is an idiot.
- Jade briefly vanishes from the party after Arietta attacks Anise's mother in Daath. Where does he go? To the chapel with Guy, who's just remembered something extremely traumatic from his past. It's never pointed out or explained, but it's very sweet to see him standing guard as Guy recovers.
- The end of the "Jewel of Gardios" sidequest.
- Later in the game, if Luke has the Gald for it, he can buy back Tear's Pendant from a merchant in Grand Chokmah. You can see that Tear is really grateful for getting it back.
- Much of Guy's dialogue to Natalia following Mohs' declaration that she's a false princess is spoken in an even warmer, gentler tone than anything else he says, and most of what he says are words of comfort and kindness.