For moments from Not Always Working, see here.
open/close all folders
Not Always Right
From Not Always Right
- A few of these as well.
- Also: Sometimes, the customers are the better people.
- This, too.
- "Are you thankful for me?"
- The best part of this one is she wasn't actually his girlfriend, just a sympathetic stranger with good acting skills.
- And this one.
- That was sweet of him.
- Anytime the customer or whoever realizes and apologizes for being stupid/psychotic/irrational. This shows that not all customers intentionally think they're better than the storekeeper/whatever.
- This, in an odd sort of way.
- Everyone needs hugs.
- "Why don't you take a break? We don't mind waiting."
- Don't mind me, I just have something in my eye.
- "Don't worry about it, Jesus and my mama still love me!"
- One big hearted postal employee.
- It might have been a joke, but this customer definitely qualifies.
- "Happy birthday!"
- It's customers like this woman who make working in retail a little more tolerable.
- Not heartwarming in the usual sense, but it's hard to read this without going "D'awwww."
- This inversion of the Peking Duck Christmas. A group of Chinese people become regular customers of a kosher deli to "return the favor".
- This cashier certainly had his day improve after serving a kind older couple.
- "Thank you, young man, for battling the forces of rudeness and for making the world a better place!"
- Good God, what is WRONG with that mother? (Answer: She believes people with minimum wage jobs are inferior.)
- This story of acceptance triumphing over bigotry.
- This story.
- A true guardian Angel in action.
- A little girl cheers up a worker having a bad day.
- The Customer Is Sometimes Alright
- With all the stories of Abusive Parents on the site, it's nice to read about a man who's ecstatic about becoming a father.
- This is really cute
- The story of a customer who came back to say sorry
- One man was feeling rich after his last round of chemotherapy, and decided to pay it forward.
- One customer buys a few items for people in his homeless shelter, and a second decides to chip in.
- Five of them.
- There are still decent people somewhere.
- Why Nurses Should Rule The World
- Like this story says, never... never again.
- This one's possibly the trump card for any "Story behind a tattoo" contest. You showcase that, and everyone else in the room will shut up.
- "A little cash back for you."
- "So your total comes out to $0.00."
- This little boy seems perfectly willing to protect innocent people.
- This businessman's heart is hewn out of a giant chunk of platinum.
- He is a good boss.
- Never bully a Chinese kid.
- This customer apologizes for being rude to the worker and even tells her supervisor about how well the worker handled it.
- This owner knows that good help doesn't always wear the best clothing.
- This girl is practically the definition of Spoiled Sweet.
Yeah, my dad is crazy rich. I feel like I can do more if I actually interact with people instead of signing a check to a charity.
- That's putting it mildly. Add in the fact that her appearance made the workers and other customers suspicious of her before she started pulling out $100 bills, and you've got a real live Foundation for a Better Life commercial.
- One nice old man makes a woman's day, here.
- How to comfort a kid after he lost his dog.
- This one. Can also double as a Tear Jerker.
- "Mommy, was that lady an angel?" "Yes, baby, she was."
- "I’m sure you’re making sure your daughter eats, but when’s the last time you did?” "How did you—” "Because you're a mother."
- A man ends up engaged to a waiter he saved from some homophobic bullies. This entry was pointedly added the day the United States Supreme Court struck down the most insidious part of the Defense of Marriage Act.
- Historical documents are always important to preserve, especially when they're so close to the heart as with this situation.
- The Convergence Of Kindnesses
- At a fundraiser to rebuild a burned library...
Customer: No, I don’t give money to poor people. If they want money, they have to work for it like the rest of us. I don’t like lazy layabouts.Customer's Husband: Do you really feel that way, dear? I wonder if you felt this way 27 years ago when we had an infant, no jobs, no money, and had to ask my parents for an allowance so we could live. Now that we have money in the bank, a Volvo in the driveway, and a designer handbag on your arm, suddenly we are too good to help others? [to the cashier, indicating a large pile of books next to the cash register] Are these the books you're selling? We'll take them all.
- This woman decides to help a random family without leaving her name.
- This man helps a pregnant girl who was kicked out of her home by her ex-boyfriend who not only hit her but cancelled her food stamp card. The man not only is paying for her groceries, but offers her both a home and a job at his apartment complex.
- An employee cheers up a little kid.
- This story. A kid steals something from a store, and the employee, instead of calling the police or chasing after him, decides to call him instead. The kid comes back, admits he wasn't thinking straight, and returns the item. Furthermore, he does a complete 180 of his original behavior, coming in regularly and helping to fix up the store at times. Sometimes, all a person needs is a second chance.
- You know how some people like to hold on to the last thing someone ever gave them? This manager does.
- A man pays for a kid's meal.
- This little girl helps Superman back to work.
- Just imagine the ending to this story taking place in your head. It's a really adorable image.
- This customer complementing her waitress and her explanation of why she did it.
- These customers are perhaps among the nicest and most accommodating customers on the site.
- These guys come into a store late in the evening, and upon finding out that two workers haven't had dinner, immediately give them their leftover takeout pizza. Random acts of kindness always feel good.
- These teens come to a restaurant, share their food together, then decide that the pizza they have ordered is too much for them to eat and give it to their waiter, leaving before (s)he has a chance to say 'thank you'.
- An eight-year-old boy whose best friend's father recently died, leaving his mother badly pressed to support herself and her three children, makes it his personal mission to ensure that his friend's family can still have a nice Christmas.
Eight-Year-Old: [Name] is my best friend. I'm going to give him my presents for Christmas. I asked Santa to bring him an Xbox, too, but Santa might be busy. So I'm going to give him my Xbox.
- This ten-year-old donates $50 for charity and tells off a mouthy customer all at the same time.
- This is adorable. A seven year old girl uses her pocket money to buy gifts for her puppy, while the father secretly buys her a lot of candy for all her hard work. The cashier's response?
Manager: “Want to go take five to cry in the bathroom?”Cashier: (tearing up) “Yeah, I’d really appreciate that. Thank you.”
- It's small, but when the customer in this story saw the cashier's fake black eye (it was Halloween and she was dressed as a biker), he immediately asked if she was OK and even said he would've beaten up the guy who did it to her.
- Needs To Give That Caller A High Five.
- This guy gives his thanks and apologizes for yelling at the same time in buying the workers at the bank a box of doughnuts.
- "Can I sing for you?"
- "You are doing the best thing for your daughter, and you are the best mother I know."
- It's small, but the second customer in this story sees how awkward the submitter feels about a story the first customer is telling, so interrupts and makes the first customer leave.
- While this customer starts out like most we see on this site, he realizes how awful he's being and not only apologizes for yelling, but calls back later in order to tell the supervisor that the submitter is excellent at their job (which eventually leads to the submitter getting a promotion).
- A family buy a waitress a slushie on a particularly hot day.
- This customer set off a chain reaction by accident after doing a good deed for a driver he cut off.
- This lady admits to not paying for some milk on her last visit, and insists on paying it on her current visit.
Customer: "Well, I just couldn't live with doing that! Your selection might not be as big as [Chain Competitor]'s, but I've been shopping here since the current owner’s father was running the place. Everyone is always so helpful. I just couldn't do something so unethical and mean!"
- "Bless you, son. I’d like you to have this to make up for those of us who are less then their best."
- Security guard defends a mute woman from a bigot.
- A boy gets to meet Thor undercover as a cashier. The heartwarming part is that the cashier runs with it, and it apparently makes both of their days.
- This story, where a set of twins goes to a coffee shop and ends up providing sympathy for a worker whose husband has lost his twin sister.
- These workers go out of their way to let a girl who lives in a group home do her homework in the restaurant without getting teased by her friends, because it's the only place where she can find some quiet time.
- A customer orders a cup of coffee that costs just over a dollar... and gives the waitress a $500 bill with a note saying "For Mama and Baby", because she's been having a very rough year.
- This sweet young girl forgoes extra candy in order to have enough money to tip the worker. It was only 6 cents, but it's the thought that counts. Also, the candy was worth 14 cents so that makes it an almost 50 percent tip!
- This mother shows some kindness to a fellow mother whose husband has just left her.
- One kid missed his chance to meet Spider-Man, but the cashier manages to salvage the situation, and make both their days.
- This worker manages to put two Jerk Asses in their place for harassing his niece, and when his/her manager comes up, they worry that they'll be fired.
Manager: You’re not in uniform; they don’t know you work here. Besides, if someone talked to my kids like that, I’d knock them out.”
- A bunch of teenagers decide to help the employees clean up so they can leave work sooner.
- This story, all of it. From the the submitter buying flowers for their mom because it was their parents' anniversary and their dad couldn't get off work that day to an old lady letting them go ahead as she was buying a lot of stuff, and than covering the bill of a broke woman with a kid and another on the way (about 300 dollars), to the submitter giving the old lady a tulip from the flower bouquet and offering to help her with her groceries.
- After a long, rough day, this submitter gets a hug from a six-year-old who saw she needed one.
- Even better, he was apparently told from his mother that "retail people need more hugs". Considering all the stories about parents being horrid to retail workers and sometimes discouraging their kids from treating them better, it's refreshing to hear a story of parenting done right.
Not Always Romantic
From Not Always Romantic
- Just say yes to your man!
- Here's two to start.
- Sometimes, one moment fixes everything.
- "It would be so nice to date a girl who's not obsessed with her appearance. May I?"
- Bonus points to the boy for putting the girl's bully in her place.
- This guy couldn't afford a ring. His fiance doesn't seem to mind.
- The true meaning of seeing clearly.
- Sometimes, it's good to be wrong.
- He thought she'd say no. She said yes to so much more.
- This girl was worried he'd be weirded out. Not only was he accepting, he took her to a convention!
- A waiter apologizes for his inappropriate comments during a couple's previous visit; since then, they keep coming back and asking to be served by him!
- These two are obviously perfect for each other. So there!
- Taco Proposal.
- The most unorthodox dating service.
- This one, in a way. The guy has an embarrassing long scar on his stomach, and is scared of what his girlfriend would think of it. Instead of freaking out, though, she thinks it's awesome.
- Here, in a way. A couple gets playful in bed, and the boyfriend gets really into the act and licks his partner's arm. He immediately admits that was weird and begins to apologize for it, but the partner cuts him off and just licks him back.
- This guy, who finds a four-leaf clover for his girlfriend.
- This one, in a pretty cute way. A woman goes as far as to learn sign language to communicate with another person she assumes is deaf. In reality, he wasn't deaf, but he's impressed enough by her effort to offer to hang out, and they eventually begin dating.
- "One ring to woo them all. One ring combined them. One ring to bring them all. And eternally bind them. Will you marry me?"
- A girl was giving a regular customer her employee discount because she had a crush on him. When the customer found out, he took her out for dinner.
- "When I get a job and have money and live in a better place, will you promise me that we'll still buy pizza and wings and eat it on the bed?"
Not Always Related
From Not Always Related
- These two boys really want to be uncles. Awwwww!!
- This one, in a strange way.
- Don't let that idiot scare you. This family looks out for each other.
- "I guess he was right after all."
- A kid comes out their parents as asexual, and the parents' reaction has them fearing the worst. When the Pride Parade rolls around, though, not only does the entire family show support for the kid and asexuality, they also had LGBT support materials at the ready as well!
- A four-year-old with social anxiety meets her half-brother's intimidating grandfather. Her family expects her to get scared. Instead, this happens.
- "All pretty girls need a flower!".
- This post in its entirity. After hearing that his grandchild was called a swine in school the grandfather says this:
“Yeah, sounds about right. [...] Strong, courageous, and intelligent animal, who routinely stands up to hungry wolf-pack, and who, when grows up, becomes the most caring mom in the whole forest? Yeah, I´d say it sounds about right.”
Not Always Learning
From Not Always Learning
- ...And then a new career path was offered to this security guard.
- This guy standing up for his grandmother.
- Student shows his support for his teacher.
- This student was able to learn that people do care about him.
- This one has a happy ending.
- My Teacher The Dragon Slayer
- A young student who is in the middle of transitioning to female (and is sometimes mistaken for a girl despite not being finished) is frequently bullied. Out of desperation she hides in the corner of the girl's locker room one day. The gym teacher kicks out the bullies by denying that the "boy" they were chasing isn't in the room. The gym teacher then tells the submitter that they know that she's transgender, but don't mind because she never tried to look at the girls changing once. The gym teacher then says that she can use the locker room anytime she needs to and that she can consider herself as one of them, something another student in the room also agrees with.
- Things look bad when a loud-mouth classmate lets slip that a boy is gay. Fortunately for the boy, the class are behind him.
- Honesty wins free food.
- This teacher hates it when people spoil book endings.
- It's nice to know that for every bad teacher, there'll be three nice ones who'll always stand up for you.
- Faith is beautiful.
- So basically, a six-year-old scored me a boyfriend. Both adorable and hilarious.
- It's small, but in this story, a girl and a guy are practising a routine for a theatre class. They play an arguing husband and wife, and are practising in an not-so-well-lit part of their campus in the evening. When they're finally done, two guys they don't even know approach and admit that at first, they didn't know the two were acting and were coming to the girl's defence!
- You can tell that this professor must really love teaching, especially after being called a nerd when he was a student.
- "No, I just had a question. But first, this is for you."
- While the story itself isn't heartwarming, one of the commenters talks about how she adored her private music teacher, and laments that Facebook didn't exist yet so they couldn't keep in touch back then. Then she remembers her name and goes to find her...and succeeds! And it turns out the teacher remembered her too!
Not Always Friendly
From Not Always Friendly
- “Kiddo, we love you. You’re practically family. You’re always safe here.”
- These two guys clearly care about their friend.
- This woman really likes hugs!
- Three commuters on the London Underground (who are total strangers to the submitter) help out when he/she starts to feel dizzy while on a busy train during rush hour. One gives up their seat while another offers orange juice and they all look after the submitter and make sure he/she gets off safely at the right stop.
- This friend shows what it means to be a true friend when he tells off a petty girlfriend and breaks up with her due to the girlfriend insulting and brushing off another friend's troubles.
- The submitter's daughter recently lost all her hair due to cancer treatment, and is admiring the long hair of a family friend. Said friend decides to cut off her own hair and give the daughter a wig made from it. She is overjoyed, and even more so when she is later confirmed to have made a full recovery!
- This complete stranger defends a girl from a gang of overbearing men.
- This little girl who unknowingly made a complete stranger's bad day better.
- An anonymous trucker and a nearby tire store rescue a stranded young woman after she radios for help. Bonus points for putting a much less selfless trucker in his place.
- This hard-luck fellow attempts to give a veteran a penny, acknowledging they're one of those jerks who doesn't carry a lot of cash. The veteran gives a dollar in return, saying that it's his job to protect this country and help poor people.
- One anime cosplayer is initially fearful when a biker approaches her at a restaurant and asks for a picture, but he winds up almost moving her to tears when she learns why he did.
- This nerdy student had become so wary of Alpha Bitches that she herself ended up judging a book by its cover, and being cold to a girl who'd done nothing wrong just because her appearance was suggestive of the Alpha Bitch stereotype. Turned out she was just as big a nerd, and now they are best friends.
Not Always Hopeless
- The whole website, really.