- Issue #2
Aamir: I'll get the brothers from the mosque and we'll beat the ever-loving snot out of whoever hurt you!
- Aamir's first response at seeing Kamala upset? Hold her tight and tell her that she'll be okay. His second?
- In a sense, the scene shortly after where Kamala and Aamir's parents begin arguing about them. Their mother is yelling about how it was their father's idea to move the family to the U.S., and look what's become of their children, the daughter sneaks out and the son dresses like "a penniless mullah." Aamir and Kamala can be found on the edge of the panel, simultaneously facepalming. It's another sweet little moment that shows a sense of camaraderie between them, because even though Aamir is more fundamentalist in his religion and Kamala is more assimilated, they're in the exact same boat as far as their parents are concerned.
- Issue #5
Yusuf: It's a special name. Kamal means "perfection" in Arabic. Your mother had a very difficult time when she was pregnant with Aamir. After he was born, the doctors told us we couldn't have any more children. We were devastated. Then, five years later, you came along. Our little miracle. I held you in my hands at the hospital — a tiny, screaming, pinkish-brown baby — and thought you were the most perfect thing I had ever seen. That's why we gave you your name.
- Yusuf explains to Kamala where she got her name from:
- Issue #6
- Kamala's parents force her to meet with Sheikh Abdullah because she's been sneaking out at night. From what little we've seen and heardnote , we expect him to be a total hard-ass. It turns out he's a Reasonable Authority Figure who, already knowing that she's too headstrong to heed any call to repentance, instead encourages Kamala to continue "helping people", as she describes her late-night activities, but to find a teacher to guide her.
- Issue #8
- Kamala meets Lockjaw and gives him a hug. What more can be said?
- Issue #9
Kamala: I am alone in the universe.Vinatos: Unique is not the same as alone. A lot of people care about you, Kamala. Queen Medusa in particular. There are many others who share your Inhuman legacy — and one day soon, you'll meet them.
- Kamala finally learns about her Inhuman roots from Medusa and her physician Vinatos, having previously believed herself a mutantnote . Faced with the thought that she's actually "a Pak-American, part-alien, morphogenic nerd", she starts feeling upset:
- Amazing Spider-Man #7
Spider-Man: You remind me of a web-headed whippersnapper who always wondered how HE was doing. And he thinks YOU'RE doing great.
- Even as Kamala is fangirling over Spider-Man, he pays her a heartfelt compliment.
- Right before that, a mom and dad thank her for saving their child and say she's "a real hero". Her response is an understated "I'm trying."
- Meta example: in San Francisco, Islamophobic ads by hate group Freedom Defence Initiative are being run on buses. In response, somebody has defaced them with pictures of Kamala.