Heartwarming: Heralds of Valdemar
open/close all folders
The Arrows Trilogy
Arrows of the Queen
- Chapters 2 through 5 are a constant string of minor but touching heartwarming moments, being the story of how a girl who was insulted, beaten and marginalized in her childhood comes into a place where people respect her opinion and genuinely care for her. Watching Talia's opinion of herself- and the world- changing is really beautiful.
- Jadus comforting a then-friendless Talia and teaching her to sing.
Talia: You mean- music lessons? Teach me? But-Jadus: It would be a shame to waste your Talent; and you do have it, youngling. It would truly be something that I would enjoy sharing with you.Talia: If you think it's worth wasting your time on me-Jadus: (tilts Talia's head up so she's looking him in the eyes) Time spent with you, my dear, will never be wasted.
- Talia babysitting Elspeth and 'un-spoiling' the girl. Talia is never slow to discipline Elspeth when she does something wrong, but she's equally fast to praise her when she does something right.
Talia: I'm sorry for you. It's awful to be lonely and alone. I know; when I was your age, they sent my best friend away to be married to a ghastly old man, and I never saw her again.Elspeth: Did you cry?Talia: I did when I was alone, but I didn't dare around other people. My elders told me that it was sinful to cry over something so unimportant. I think that that was very wrong of them because sometimes crying can make you feel better. Are you feeling a little better now?
- In particular, their second meeting. Hulda note has left Court, and Elspeth is crying because she thinks Hulda is her Only Friend.
Elspeth: Promise you won't laugh?Talia: I promise- but I wouldn't anyway.Elspeth: Hulda laughed. She said it was a stupid name. (looks down) It's Elspeth.Talia: There was no reason for Hulda to laugh; you have a very nice name. It's nicer than Talia.Elspeth: Hulda said only peasants are named Elspeth.Talia: That's not true; I know that for sure. There were three Queens of this Kingdom named Elspeth. (lists them) You'll have a hard time living up to the name of Elspeth. Especially if you want to become the kind of person that could win a Companion and be the Heir.Elspeth: I- I don't know how. And Companions- I'm afraid of them. Can you- help me? Please?Talia: Well, first you have to start by treating people nicer than you do now- and I mean everybody, highborn or low. If you do that, you'll start having more friends, too, and they'll be real friends who like being with you, not people who only act friendly because they think you can get them something.Elspeth: I treat people nicely!Talia: Oh, really? (imitates the grimace Elspeth makes when throwing a tantrum) If that's treating people nicely, I'd hate to have you mad at me! Do you really think that anyone would want to be a friend of someone like that?Elspeth: N-no.Talia: If you want to change, you have to start by thinking about everything you say before you say or do it. Think about how you'd feel if someone acted like that to you. (hugs Elspeth) I can see that there's a very nice person named Elspeth sitting here, but there's an awful lot of people who can't see through the Brat. That's what they call you, you know.
- Later, when Talia asks Elspeth's name.
- Talia curing Elspeth's fear of Companions.
- Keren jumping into an ice-covered river to save Talia after a gang of bullies push her in. And later reproaching Talia for not telling the Heralds she was being bullied.
"We lose enough of the Circle as it is- we're not about to lose you through carelessness." Keren paused, and then added (half in anger, half in hurt), "-and next time, youngling, tell somebody when there's something wrong! We could have avoided all this- maybe caught whoever was chewing your tail! Heralds always stick together, dammit! Did you think we wouldn't believe you?""I- yes-" Talia said, and was horrified to find that her mouth had once again betrayed her. To her further horror, tears began to fall, and she was powerless to stop them.(...)
- The book's final lines.
And with a lighter heart, she turned back down the path that led to the Collegium.The Collegium- and home.
- Talia and Dirk finally getting their happy ending. Just... yes. This. And damn if they don't deserve it a thousand times over.
The Mage Winds
- Winds of Fate: Darkwind realizing that Starblade's cold, cruel behavior towards him was the only thing that a horribly broken, brainwashed man could do to prevent his own son from being victim to the same fate. The relief he feels at knowing that the father he loved was always there is nearly enough to bring him to tears.
- Winds of Change:
- Starblade finding healing and redemption through a new romance with his Healer and a new bond bird.
- Need showing Nyara some of the only affection the poor girl has seen ever, while training her to survive and fight.
- Winds of Fury: Darkwind effectively proposes to Elspeth by giving her one of Vree's decorated feathers.
- Darian casually telling a mildly despondent Keisha that no, he isn't particularly impressed by her more vivacious, popular sister and he quite enjoys Keisha's company instead. By the way she reacts, one has to feel for the girl, who hasn't been told she's ugly or cruel... just taken for granted and ignored, which can still hurt too.
- Darian traveling hundreds of miles, facing numerous perils, tracking an incredibly cold and faint trail... and finding his parents again.
The Collegium Chronicles
- When Mags first meets Lena, she is crying over her pet rabbit, Bumper, dieing. He offers to help bury Bumper. His eulogy for the rabbit is awkward and heartwarming.
"He was a good rabbit. An he was a friend when Lena needed one. Reckon that's how ye knows a friend,they be there when ye need them.