- Sandy being among the few who support Betty Rizzo when she thinks she's pregnant with Kenickie's baby. Keep in mind that Rizzo was the Alpha Bitch until then and had looked down on Sandy.
- The coach shows boundless patience and encouragement as Danny fails dreadfully at basketball, football and baseball, all because Danny was trying to find a sport that fit him.
- It worked too, as Danny's work on the track team let him graduate on time, unlike all the other Thunderbirds.
- The gang's response to the idea that they might never see each other again? Dismiss it almost instantly, and burst into the Friendship Song "We Go Together". No way their adventures are going away just because they're graduating.
- In the 2016 special, Kenickie's change of attitude when he hears the news of Rizzo's pregnancy, even to the point of refusing to drive at Thunder Road because he doesn't want to leave his child fatherless if it all goes wrong.
- Sonny respecting Marty's teenage crush on radio DJ Vince Fontaine and never trying to force his affections on her when the has a chance to meet him. Even when things don't work out with Fontaine, Sonny is the first to comfort her.
- The 2016 TV special has an In Memoriam dedication to Vanessa Hudgens' father, who died of cancer the night before its premiere.
- The TV special earned so much praise, that even some people involved with competitor NBC's musicals, such as producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, The Sound of Music star Carrie Underwood, and The Wiz star Shanice Williams, expressed love for it on their respective Twitter pages. Could possibly double as a Moment Of Awesome.