Heartwarming / Ashes to Ashes
- The Series 1 finale: Gene holding young Alex and carrying her to safety on the day her parents are killed.
Alex: (whispering) It was you....
- And afterwards at the police station, when he destroys the tape of her father's suicide confession.
- Series 2 opener, Chris' strip-tease to Shaz is a crowning moment of adorable AND funny. The tripping over his undies in the end is just the cherry on the cake.
- In the Series 2 finale, Shaz saying to Chris she still wants to marry him despite his having been The Mole, because he "cares when he gets it wrong". Aww.
- At the end of 3.02, Ray's toast to Shaz, saying he's been very proud to be a colleague of hers. A truly heartwarming case of Character Development, and shows he's come a long way since Life On Mars.
- The final exchange between Chris and Gene in episode 3.07, in the aftermath of the biggest fight they've ever had:
Chris: You're the best DCI I've ever met, and I've been proud to work under you. But I'm not going to be your doormat any more, Guv. Those days have gone.
[Gene walks up to Chris. Alex, Shaz and Ray watch nervously.]
Gene: Are they, now?
Chris: Buy me a drink, and we'll say no more about it. [holds out his hand]
Gene: Luigi, get Mr. Skelton a drink.
[Gene and Chris shake hands, and after a moment, share a heartfelt hug.]