- When the survivors of the team makes it back to earth. Colonel William Shape goes up to Grace Stamper and says "Miss Stamper? Colonel Willie Sharp, United States Airforce, ma'am. Requesting permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I've ever met."
- Before the mission begins, Chick goes to try and reconcile a little with his estranged wife. We learn he hasn't even been allowed to know his own infant son, and when they do meet, the mother introduces him as a salesman. And then, as the crew marches towards the shuttles, the little boy calls out to his mother ... "Mom, that salesman's on TV!" Cue Manly Tears.
- "That's no salesman. That's your daddy."
- Then there's the President's speech, which is set to a series of images around the world and a very moving piece of music...
"I address you tonight not as the President of the United States, not as the leader of a country, but as a citizen of humanity. We are faced with the very gravest of challenges. The Bible calls this day "Armageddon" - the end of all things. And yet, for the first time in the history of the planet, a species has the technology to prevent its own extinction. All of you praying with us need to know that everything that can be done to prevent this disaster is being called into service. The human thirst for excellence, knowledge; every step up the ladder of science; every adventurous reach into space; all of our combined modern technologies and imaginations; even the wars that we've fought have provided us the tools to wage this terrible battle. Through all of the chaos that is our history; through all of the wrongs and the discord; through all of the pain and suffering; through all of our times, there is one thing that has nourished our souls, and elevated our species above its origins, and that is our courage. The dreams of an entire planet are focused tonight on those fourteen brave souls traveling into the heavens. And may we all, citizens the world over, see these events through. God speed, and good luck to you."
- The oddly touching moment when Rockhound's favorite stripper, Molly Mounds, shows up to greet him after splashdown.
- She's later seen with him at the wedding in the credits, and catches the bouquet.
- "We win Gracie!"
- Doubles as a tear jerking moment, and a powerful one at that, because it's a Final Speech from Harry to his daughter.
- The shots around the world after they're all saved, as well as the entire scene of the crew touching back down.