Headscratchers: Judge Judy
- For someone who makes a living insulting and publicly humiliating wrongdoers on national television, why has Judge Judy not met with any kind of retaliation? Judge Judy even confirmed in interviews that not once on her TV show has she met with any threats of revenge.
- Maybe it's an odd case of Defeat Means Respect?
- Or perhaps the plaintiffs and/or defendants are too intimidated by her to even think about it. This would put her as a type II Terror Hero.
- Also, frankly, a lot of the plaintiffs and/or defendants are assholes themselves, which puts Judge Judy in a more sympathetic light. It's hard to argue that the casino owner who tried to cheat a teenager didn't deserve a tongue-lashing, for example, or the woman who let her son joyride and kill another woman's daughter, and then sued the other woman for car damage instead of apologizing for the other woman's loss.
- What do you think her happy reaction would be? This troper have watched her from the other side of the Atlantic ocean and considers her terrifying.
- If I understand correctly, both sides get money, and Judy's decision determines the balance of that money. Compared to real court, that's a pretty sweet deal no matter how Judy treats you.
- Judge Judy is extremely vicious to anyone beating their spouses. However, she isn't any more forgiving to their victims. A couple of times in her courtroom, she actually yells at the battered victim for not leaving any sooner. What is up with that?
- She sees the victim as partially responsible since they choose/chose to stay in a destructive environment. Cases where I've seen what you're talking about usually has the battered wife/husband/grown child complaining about how awful the home life was as they try and smear the plaintiff or score pity points. Judy will say something like "WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST LEAVE?" Why didn't they? I am sure she would have sympathy for a person physically restrained from leaving, and who left ASAP, but that is never the case as I have seen it. I do understand how complicated and tragic the cycle of abuse is, I am just conjecturing.