1. The following situations are the cases where a god of death that has brought the Death Note into the human world is allowed to return to the world of gods of death:
1. When the god of death has seen the end of the first owner of the Death Note brought into the human world and has written that human’s name on his/her own Death Note.
2. When the Death Note which has been brought in is destroyed, like burned, and cannot be used by humans anymore.
3. If nobody claims the ownership of the Death Note, and it is unnecessary to haunt anyone.
4. If, for any reason, the god of death possessing the Death Note has been replaced by another god of death.
5. When the god of death loses track of the Death Note which he/she possesses, cannot identify which human is owning the Death Note, or cannot locate where the owner is, and therefore needs to find such information through the hole in the world of gods of death.
2. Even in the situations 2, 3, and 4 above, gods of death are obliged to confirm the death of the first owner and write down that humans name in his/her Death Note even when he/she is in the world of gods of death.
- To paraphrase, in order to go home back to the shinigami world, the shinigami has to write the name of the first owner in their Death Note, regardless of whether the Note itself has been destroyed, relinquished, or otherwise is no longer in the first owner's possession. Nothing about the Death Note is fair.
- No, actually. Note the last bit: "Even when he or she is in the world of gods of death." If it's destroyed, relinquished, or otherwise is no longer in the first owner's possession, they can go home, but are still forced to write their name down when they die.