Headscratchers: Anime Central
Is AC ever going to start showing something other than Cowboy Bebop
and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
- It was obvious to this troper that the channel had a screw working loose when it chopped off the second runs of Wolf's Rain, .hack//SIGN and other shows for the Christmas 2007 marathons. The marathons themselves were OK, although watching nine episodes of Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist or Bleach in one session tended to result in serious mental overload. But all the while those marathons were going on they only ran THE SAME TWO TRAILERS, for Gundam SEED and Witch Hunter Robin over and over again in every break. And what's with only having one continuity announcement for every episode of a series anyway? All of which only goes to reinforce my theory that television stations are a lousy place to watch television programmes.
- (June 10 2008) It now appears that Anime Central will be replaced at some point during the next few weeks/months by a new channel from the same company, called True Entertainment. No word on whether this channel will carry any anime, but obviously all the AC fans will be lobbying for it to do so.
- GITS:SAC is now also being shown on Scuzz, which is a rock music channel owned by the same company. The important technical difference is that Scuzz is showing it in FULL WIDESCREEN, instead of AC's letterbox presentation.
- According to Ofcom, True Entertainment will be showing 'Cartoons'. Most likely, this means animation aimed at teenagers and young adults, so we'll probably end up with a channel showing both anime and things like Spawn, Exosquad, and others of that ilk. This may be a good thing.
- Good or bad, I doubt it'll last. I probably don't need to remind you all of the short-lived CNX channel which had done something similar to prove that this new channel will be gone within a year.
- August 27 2008: Anime Central is now reduced to a 3-hour block (midnight - 3 AM) on the True Entertainment channel, still showing the same reruns of the same two series. Even this arrangement wouldn't be quite so bad if only they'd acquire some new shows.
- Gorrammit, its CNX all over again!!!
- Took me a little while to find where it had moved too. How long has it been now since they only show Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? I've been checking everyday for so long for them to show something else. I want FMA and Bleach back on!