Funny Aneurysm Moment / Family Guy
's jokes have always been edgier than its rival show.
However, some of its past episodes aren't as funny anymore when viewed today
, just like its rival show.
- "Road to Rhode Island" originally had a scene that depicted Osama bin Laden getting past airport security by singing show tunes after Stewie did the same thing. The scene was removed from future airings of the episode and even from the DVD release, although it showed up on a later "best-of" DVD.note The worst part is that the show's creator, Seth MacFarlane, was supposed to be on American Airlines Flight 11 — one of the planes that hit the World Trade Center — but was lucky enough to miss it due to oversleeping from a hangover, his agent giving him the wrong flight information, and deciding to wait for another flight (until he saw the crash on the news).
- The Cutaway Gag concerning Katie Holmes escaping Tom Cruise's manor. It becomes a little awkward after their divorce in 2012 (though given rumors that the marriage was a sham to cover up Cruise's alleged homosexuality, this might be Hilarious in Hindsight in a sick way). This is perhaps seen in a different light if documentaries like Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief and Louis Theroux "My Scientology Movie" that the Church of Scientology has quite an influence and hold on Cruise's life, and how people outside the church can very quickly be considered "Non-persons".
- The gag from "Blind Ambition"note where Peter tries to do good by dressing up as "Gary the No-Trash Cougar" and threatens kids at a school with a gun has now become yet another twisted Family Guy joke thanks to the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Connecticut on December 14, 2012, though given the subject matter there was likely never a point in time it might be in good taste.
- In "The Tan Aquatic with Steve Zissou", when Stewie thinks he's dying, he tells Brian to write down his final words. Instead, he draws a picture of himself hanging from a tree because he was bored and didn't feel like bowing to Stewie's whims. "Brian and Stewie" later reveals that Brian has been contemplating suicide for a long time because he feels like no one cares about him. In some viewers' eyes, this turns the visual joke from a warped one to a cry for help.
- In 2013's "Turban Cowboy", one cutaway has Peter drive a car through the Boston Marathon, leaving injured, bloody bodies on the ground behind him, and is then praised for winning the race. This was less than a month before two brothers set off a bomb at the real marathon, a scene similar to the one in the show. Between that gag and the episode's plot of Peter joining a terrorist cell, the episode was yanked from Hulu and has become the first Family Guy episode to air once before getting banned temporarily. For added irony, [adult swim] had the misfortune of airing a repeat of the episode just hours after the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris on November 13, 2015.
- "Save the Clam" opens with Horace pitching for Peter's softball team and being killed when a line drive is hit right back at him and strikes him. Two days after the episode first aired, Toronto Blue Jays pitcher J. A. Happ was seriously injured under very similar circumstances.
- "Road to the Multiverse" ended with Human Brian getting hit by a car and killed. This happens to the main universe Brian in "Life of Brian", killing him off for all but two episodes... and even those were retconned.
- "You Can't Do That on Television, Peter": As Peter and Lois are arguing over his being too much involved in his children's TV show, spending nights out on the town and neglecting his family duties as a result, Peter warns Lois not to nag him, as he can have "any 3-year-old girl [he] wants". This typical, tasteless pedophilia joke becomes worse following the posthumous exposé on British television host Jimmy Savile (Top of the Pops and the children's television program Jim'll Fix It) revealing that he was a pedophile and only did Jim'll Fix It to prey on little girls.
- When Lauren Conrad from The Hills is revealed to be a genius in "We Love You Conrad," she shows Brian a simulated sex tape she made with Bill Cosby. This was before several real life women accused Cosby of raping them over the years and many of them were decades younger than him.
- From "Brian Does Hollywood," Bill Cosby making fun of a little girl's story of being raped on Kids Say the Darnedest Things now crosses the line a third time...
- In "He's Bla-ack", Peter pretends to be a cop pulling Cleveland so he can see him. He goes a little far on the brutality, even saying "He's trying to grab my gun." This is less funny after the shooting of Michael Brown, who allegedly tried to grab Officer Darren Wilson's gun. This ultimately sparked the Ferguson Riots of 2014.