Funny: UQ Holder
Funny moments from UQ Holder: Chapter 1
- While the first chapter is mostly serious, the tail end has Touta telling Yukihime about how it's his dream to climb the "Tower" in the capital, complete with dramatic closeups and art that implies this ascent to be some sort of Series Goal. Yukihime's response?
Yukihime: You mean the Japanese Orbital Elevator? If you pay for it, you could ride immediately. It's very reasonably priced at 400,000 yen.
Touta: That's expensive! And also not the dream!
- Also in the first chapter, we have this gem from Yukihime:
- Touta has his first Who Wants to Live Forever? moment, and it's triggered by several increasingly trivial realizations. The thing that finally sends him over the edge screaming about how immortality can suck it? When he learns that he'll never go bald.
- Touta flubbing Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" because his voice is still too pitchy and underdeveloped. The reaction of Yukihime has her being blown away by the flub too! What makes it even better is that his first note is spot on, making everyone think that he's a great singer until he actually launches into the song. Then it turns out that the reason why growing up is so necessary for the big dream is because part of it involves singing back-up at the Solar Olympics, and he wants to sing the way Louis Armstrong does.
- Touta's rather mundane dream which involves growing old and drinking in a bar Rat Pack Style. Then Yukihimes reaction to said dream.
Yukihime: I get it, after two years I finally get it... you're an idiot.
- When Kuroumaru is unconscious, Touta tries to pull down his pants to see if he's really a boy.
- The reveal that Touta actually forced Kuromaru to sign a "friendship contract", just to be sure about the whole "defeat means friendship" thing.
- Touta's Hot Spring Theory:
Touta: When two or more men are at a hot spring, they're obligated to try to peek at the girl's bath! But with Yukihime in there, we'll be flirting with death!
- The result of the above? Yukihime bursts in to their side of the bath and tells them in Large Ham fashion that if they can steal her towel, she'll let them peep on her. Then she busts out one of her ancient spells...
- Touta manages to get the towel off, and just before Eva agrees to show them, he goes, "I'm not interested in old Granny's body." Needless to say, Eva didn't take it well.
Touta: Your toe is gonna pluck my eye out!
- Kuroumaru tells Touta to be careful about trusting Jinbei, and that Touta is the gullible sort of person who falls for money scams. Once they find out how old Jinbei is though, Kuroumaru is overcome with emotion and starts hero-worshiping him.
Touta: If I'm the type that falls for scams, you're the type that gets dragged into weird cults, huh?
- Jinbei takes Touta and Kuromaru to a Sword In The Stone that nobody has proven able to pull out. Naturally, Touta is able to do it easily... Because he was apparently the only one to notice the sword had a switch that could set it from "Super Heavy" to "Super Light".
- Touta vs. Kuromaru in an arm-wrestling match... and all the orphans in the crowd cheering for Touta to lose.
- Turns out the wrestling was for kitchen duty, and Touta is a really good cook. So when Touta loses, everyone wins (except him).
- Touta Trains in Instant movement buying eating his meals and playing cats cradle only using his feet, and one of the orphans tries doing the same thing as he does.
- Karin's text message to Touta:
Touta: Everyone's fine here. Where are you?Karin: The MoonTouta: The Moon?! Seriously?!Karin: Seriously.
- Evangeline shows up in her ten-year-old form, confusing Touta. Then she transforms back into her considerably more buxom Yukihime form... prompting Touta to complain about how she looks like a pervert without her pants.
- The four members of the group that captured Fate get one question each to ask. Karin asks who loved Negi more; him or Yukihime.
- The kicker? She says this just as seriously as the others when they ask their questions. She even claims it's the most important question!
- While the supposed serial killer is tracking UQ Holder, he realizes that Touta is about to break into his hideout. Turns out that they're now room mates.
- Touta interrupts the serial killer before he does more than knock out a group of magic-wielding thugs. Then Ikku asks what they should do with the thugs.
Touta: Kick 'em!Ikku: Eh?Touta: I mean... call the police! And an ambulance for the old man!
- The aftermath of their first fight with Santa: Ikku holding his own severed leg and head, and Touta stuck upside down in a roof with only his legs sticking up.
Karin: You're pathetic. Someone dig that idiot out of there.
- Touta and Santa start bonding over Video games only a page after Santa tries to get Touta and Kuromaru out of his room. Apparently, Santa makes his living off of Let's Plays and video game tutorials.
- While the chapter is mostly dramatic, there is one scene that's quite amusing: After the villain is defeated, the team uses Kirie's power to jump back to before all the damage of the arc occurred. Except that when they arrive, they're still standing in the same poses, but their positions relative to each other have all been moved around, they look kind of ridiculous.
- The final frame. Extra points for Santa not getting it.
Ikkuu: Do you like (Touta)?Kuromaru: No!Kirie: I do not!Narration: Methinks she doth protest too much?!
- Touta has a sparring match with Laszlo. Laszlo's Funny Afro is the victim.
Laszlo: Now I look like a hairy Pacman!
- The next page has him fixing the hole in his afro with duct tape.
- Touta can't feed himself, so someone else has to. First it was Chikage doing a Romantic Spoonfeeding, but Kirie got jealous. Then when she tries, she goes Tsundere and gives it to Kuromaru to try. When he fails because his heart was beating madly, Touta gets desperate for anyone to feed him properly. Santa goes ahead and feeds him anyway.
- Akamatsu pretty much confirms he has an expansion fetish that was shown in both Love Hina and Negima, as he has Yukihime go through some Breast Expansion, twice, and then adds on butt expansion and some general plumpness as well, thoroughly freaking out her and Touta, while Fate finds her fertility idol-shaped body fascinating. Sadly the extra growth after the Breast Expansion is not seen.
- Touta hoping that Santa, Kuromaru & Kirie doesn't see his embarassing moment when his new Master, Dana knows he's in love with Yukihime and even admitting it. Unfortunately... Dana happen's to invite Kuromaru, Santa, Kirie and Laslzo for tea before Touta wakes up. Kuromaru was stunned while the rest looks at him;smirking while staring at him. Lady Dana, you're a cruel mistress.
- Dana takes Training from Hell to a new level. Her method of forcing the immortals to improve their regeneration times is to repeatedly kill them. Even Santa, who is already dead, isn't immune — Dana exorcises him, and he nearly ascends to heaven, complete with little cherubs escorting him. What's worse, Touta is singled out because he kept calling Dana "Oba-san". While Kuromaru and Santa "only" died 26 and 28 times, Touta died 196 times.