- In the novel, Dave Bowman's attempts to track down his former girlfriend lead to a computer error that sends a check for $1.00 to everyone in Florida whose last name starts with the letter 'F'.
- Heywood and Curnow, talking about the things they miss back on earth.
- Chandra telling Heywood and Curnow about deactivating their "kill switch" for HAL, should he go rogue again. The looks on their faces screamed "...you bastard".
- The last second grin Heywood shoots Chandra afterward borders on a Heartwarming Moment.
- In the novel, the fact that both crews were fluent in both Russian and English led to some amusing situations, such as the three Americans realizing that they had been idly chatting in Russian for nearly 30 minutes at one point or conversations among them all changing language in mid conversation. One result was the 'Stamp out Russlish' campaign, which was meant as a morale booster through humor than anything else.
- "Look! A flying saucer! Who's got a camera?!"
- HAL has just delivered a message to Floyd, with the Wham Line that the sender had identified as "I was David Bowman."
HAL 9000: Do you want me to repeat the last response?Dr. Heywood Floyd: [beat] No, no. Tell Curnow that this is no time for jokes.
- The film showing an issue of Time magazine with a cover drawing depicting Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick as the US President and Russian Premier.