- After Phoenix gets on Twilight's nerves with his whining before the trial:
- Phoenix's Imagine Spot of Edgeworth in Equestria.
Edgeworth: This is just like that one episode of Steel Samurai where he meets the Pink Princess! WHEEEEE!!!
Phoenix: (Doctor, I'd like the part of my brain responsible for that image lobotomized, please...)
- Dash mocks Phoenix about the magatama, thinking it's a toy.
Rainbow Dash: You say "good luck charm", I say "toy".
Phoenix: *Grumbles* (Don't forget who's defending you, Skittles!)
- The sudden appearance of the Judge from the Ace Attorney games. Made even better with this line:
Judge: Aren't these ponies just remarkable, Mr. Wright? They have shown me nothing but a good time!
Phoenix: All they've done for me is make fun of my hair...
- Phoenix's outburst regarding the cloud as decisive evidence, complete with Pursuit ~ Cornered playing in the background, only to get greeted by crickets and then informed that yes, Rainbow totally can move clouds around and make them shoot lightning at will.
- Those who haven't watched Friendship is Magic would've likely had the same reaction and wondering what's with the crickets at the same time as Phoenix, making it even better.
- Phoenix mocking the idea of a Cutie Mark, then immediately wondering what his own would be.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In part 5, a non-canon animation has Twilight turning him into a unicorn, and sadly it wasn't his trademark finger-point but his badge.
- Phoenix confirms to Apple Bloom that his work is kind of like arguing.
- After Phoenix explains to Apple Bloom what a lawyer is, she decides that the next Cutie Mark Crusade will be…
Apple Bloom: CUTIE MARK CRUSADER LAWYERS!!
Phoenix: (The future of criminal justice is looking pretty bleak right now...)
- When Phoenix spots the first contradiction in the prosecution's case:
Judge: Miss Trixie, this is a big oversight! Why is there a ten-minute gap as to when the child saw the lightning bolt?
Trixie: I'M THINKING! BE QUIET!
Judge: Oh... o-okay...
- After Apple Bloom is excused:
Apple Bloom: OBJECTION! HOLD IT! *checks for Cutie Mark* Aw, nothing...
- Trixie says that she has some new evidence and pulls out an envelope. Rainbow Dash recognizes the envelope and begs her not to show it, making everyone think it is decisive evidence that will get Rainbow guilty instantly. Trixie opens the envelope and... it turns out to be embarrassing photos of Rainbow Dash.
- Nick's complete annoyance at him having to do the prosecution's and judge's questions and requests to Fluttershy. His annoyed monotone and expression are what makes it.
- During Fluttershy's cross examination:
Feeding chickens... at night...? Fluttershy:
Midnight snack! I couldn't send them to bed without one, what if they starved to death while they were sleeping? Judge:
Oh my! I never realized the importance of midnight snacking! Twilight:
That's our naive Fluttershy... Phoenix: (And that's my clueless Judge...)
I yelled so loud, at the top of my lungs, like this... *deep breath* Rainbow Dash, what's wrong!? Phoenix:
Yeah... I haven't the faintest idea how she didn't hear that...
Phoenix: It's very clear this witness is afraid of lightning! (And... everything for that matter.)
- Gilda in general. The entire episode is full of these thanks to her.
- Rainbow takes Phoenix's "stay silent" request way too literally. When Gilda shows up, she starts Wild Taking like crazy.
- What's the prosecution's explanation for what was Gilda doing in the forest that night?
- Gilda and Trixie team up for a good round of trash-talking on Phoenix.
Phoenix: (Oh great, it's like Trixie in stereo.)
- When Phoenix finds yet another contradiction in Gilda's testimony
Phoenix: (Finally! I'm winning the battle! Trixie's third-person has nothing on my first-person!) Trixie:
* Phoenix: (Or not...)
- The Judge's reaction to the perfume.
Judge: It smells like a rotting skunk basted in expired milk!
- When Gilda admits she works for the Griffon Express.
Phoenix: [The Griffon Express]
sounds pretty unreliable, at least when you're concerned... Gilda:
*Strategic table hiding* Judge:
Mr. Wright, show some backbone!
... Howdy! Trixie:
Back, Mr. Wrong? Phoenix:
Ehh... Sorry, my shoes were untied... Trixie:
Your shoes are slip-ons... Phoenix:
Ehh... This witness was caught red-handed stealing!
- At one point, Phoenix, Trixie and Gilda all start to exchange smack-talk between one another.
Judge: A three-way tussle between the defense, prosecution and witness! My! How exciting! Er- I mean... ORDER!
- Gilda does not take well being called "slow", and seeing everyone in court ganging up on her (including the judge!) is hilarious:
Gilda: Dash was going too fast. I got careless trying to keep up with her and I dropped it.
Phoenix: In other words, you were too slow?
Gilda: Hey! Shut up! I'm not slow!
Twilight: You clearly were if you couldn't keep up...
Gilda: I said, stop calling me slow!
Trixie: Stop taunting the slowpoke and get back on topic!
Gilda: I'M NOT A SLOWPOKE!
Judge: I agree with the prosecution. The fact that the witness is as slow as ketchup coming out of a glass bottle isn't a concern to the court.
- Her constant terrible attitude makes Phoenix start to long for one of Franziska's whipping sessions.
- After Gilda curses on the stand, Twilight Death Glares Phoenix instead.
Phoenix: Don't look at me! She said it!
- Slowly, tension rises between Trixie and Gilda, since the latter just keeps digging her own grave the more she is cross-examined. The animosity rises to the point they exchange insults. After a while, Trixie just can't stand Gilda anymore, and gives up, abandoning her own witness:
Gilda: Yeah, just like blue boy says; it was lying right there next to the pegasus. I didn't touch it! Take that, Trixie!
Trixie: That's it... You're on your own...
Phoenix: What's your explanation for this!? Let's hear it, Gilda! It's impossible for you to have seen the stick next to the body!
Gilda: I-uh... I-uh... Trixie! Help!
Trixie: Oh, what's that? You need help from the "stupid pony"? Too bad! You dug your own grave!
- Just after she apologized and told the truth about her role into setting up Rainbow Dash as the murderer, Gilda asks a little favor from the judge...:
- Meta example: "To be concluded... in Part 5/4"
Phoenix: How did you react to [Ace Swift's] death?
Phoenix: You... cried?
Twilight: Yes! It's a complex secretomotor phenomenon characterized by the shedding of tears from the lacrimal apparatus without any irritation of the ocular structures...
- Sonata calls out Phoenix on using an "irrelevant" detail in his favor.
Sonata: Defense attorneys fabricate the most interesting little fairy takes to protect criminals.
Phoenix: (You know, something's wrong when a talking unicorn accuses you of telling fairy tales...)
- Twilight takes an analogy Sonata made and turns it into a dorky tangent on her knowledge on quantum physics, leaving everyone silent.
Twilight: Um... Heehee!... Sorry...
- The little "Teleportation 101" animation, which has Twilight turning Phoenix into a unicorn, to which he only reacts mildly annoyed before just accepting it.
- After Sonata's blackmailing has been exposed by Trixie, Phoenix loses composure as the Judge is utterly annoyed by the fact that the two attorneys knew about this yet didn't bring it up to the table. Phoenix's answer as to why is even more hilarious since he was, well, being blackmailed.
- Twilight forcefully takes over Phoenix's place for a short time to point out a contradiction, then she goes full Squee mode,
Twilight: Oh my gosh! Did anypony see that!? That felt so exhilarating! This is so exciting! I found a flaw in her testimony! Do you all think I sounded professional enough!? Oh, I'm going to tell the princess about this-!
Phoenix: Twilight! Relax!
- Right before the judge hands down the final verdict...
Judge: Oh-ho-ho! That really IS fun to say! Now I understand why you attorneys enjoy cutting off my verdict! The tension! The suspense! The dram...
Everyone: JUST GIVE THE VERDICT!!!
- Sonata's explanation as to why she knew Twilight was from Canterlot.
I just noticed the slightly smug way you carry youself. A lot of Canterlot citizens adopt that saunter. Twilight:
Wow! It's amazing how you can-... *beat* Wait... Smug!?
- Phoenix runs into Pinkie again, late to the trial, again.
: (I think Pinkie would find a way to be late for her own funeral.)
- Phoenix finally meets Princess Celestia, the powerful sovereign of Equestria; and what's his first reaction?
Phoenix: (Woah! This is the first thing on Equestria that meets me on eye level!)
- Phoenix gets a congratulatory speech from Celestia, followed by her telling him to say hello to Maya, Pearl, and Edgeworth. Phoenix, flustered, tries to ask her how she knows all this. Cue immediate five psyche-locks and Celestia flying off.
- Half of the mane six try to get Phoenix to give his payment to them, with varying levels of failure.
- Rainbow says he should give it to his faithful client, who never doubted him for a second.
Phoenix: "Every attorney must suck horse apples if you're supposed to be the best one"...
Rainbow: O-oh, did I say that? It was a... Just a joke! Yeah!
- Rarity laboriously hints that Phoenix should give his payment to her, capped with a smile squeak.
Really now, I'm sure *ahem*
Mr. Wright *ahem*
will give that *ahem*
sum of riches to somepony who *ahem*
fixed his suit. *ahem* *Squee!* Phoenix: (Really subtle Rarity...)
Applejack: Hey, I know! Remember how I didn't know ya upside the head?
Applejack: ... Well, can't blame a gal for tryin'!
- Back on Earth, Phoenix is confronted by Maya, Pearl and Edgeworth. Cue some gems:
- Pearl is on the verge of slapping Phoenix, thinking he had been looking other women.
- Edgeworth constantly denies having been worried about him.
- Maya finds the envelope containing Rainbow's... pictures... he has on him. Phoenix begs Maya to not open it, but she pushes onwards. Cue reactions:
Maya: Is that rainbow horse... Doing what I think it is?
Phoenix: Actually, Maya... She's not a horse. She's a... pony...
Edgeworth: Do you have any shame!?
Phoenix: They aren't mine!
Pearl: I think I would rather have it be from a sugar mama at this point.
Maya: Nick... Do you want to talk about this? It's alright, eveyone has skeletons in their closet.
Edgeworth: This seems less a skeleton and more so a... disturbing fetish...
Phoenix: *Grumble* If anyone needs me, I'll be in the bathtub... with a toaster...