Funny: Transformers: More than Meets the Eye
- The concept of the series itself, as described by the Transformers Wiki:
TF Wiki: "This series follows the adventures of Rodimus and his team as they travel through space, hunting for the legendary Knights of Cybertron and having adventures along the way. But mostly it's about lonely nobodies hanging out pretending they have friends."
MTMTE ISSUE 1:
- Whirl delivers a speech to an unknown group of people. He expresses embarrassment, and says he's not good at speeches. he thanks the unknown party for helping him work through his issues. Then Cyclonus walks in looking for one of his friends, and the audience sees that Whirl is talking to a bunch of Sweep Corpses that he's been mutilating, and is about to destroy. It's horrifying, and then this little bit of dialogue is exchanged
Whirl: "Haven't you heard of knocking?"(Beat)Cyclonus: "What the Hell are you doing in here?!"
MTMTE ISSUE 2:
- Some Black Comedy when Brainstorm and Rodimus talk about the Lost Light's quantum jump error:
Brainstorm: [...] The first rule of interstellar travel—never stand next to a quantum generator when it's about to flout the laws of physics.
Rodimus: So who broke the rule?
Brainstorm: Um... good question. One of the Duobots, I think. Shock? Ore? I can never remember which is which... the blue one. Ore. He's sort of been—what's the scientific term?—Totally mashed into the generator itself.
Rodimus: That sounds—that sounds terrible.
Brainstorm: Oh, in many respects it is. But look on the bright side: at least it'll be easy to tell 'em apart from now on.
- Tailgate's reaction to finding out that he's been out of commission for six million years.
- Swerve explaining the quest of the Lost Light to Skids:
Swerve: We've got to find the 12 fragments of the Primal Key, unlock the Infinity Gate, travel sideways in time, defeat the Agents of Chaos, and restore order to the multiverse.Skids: (gives Swerve a Fascinating Eyebrow.)Swerve: Nah, I'm just messing with you. We're actually looking for the Knights of Cybertron, a mythical group of supremely powerful do-gooders who left our homeworld 10 million years ago to civilize the galaxy, leaving a trail of breadcrumbs in the form of a star map inside a dead Matrix.Skids: Yeah...I kinda liked the first one better?
- Whirl had beaten up and thrown Cyclonus off a cliff in a previous issue. Whirl apologizes, by dodging all responsibility and trying to glaze it over. Cyclonus gives him a hug, and then whispers that he will kill Whirl, someday.
MTMTE ISSUE 3:
- This gem, after Trailbreaker asks if anyone has ever seen a Sparkeater before.
Ultra Magnus: "I once arrested a Decepticon who thought he was a Sparkeater. He called himself the Dark Assassin, Devourer of Souls and Propagator of Infinite Sin. His real name was Blip."
- Whirl comes face to face with the Sparkeater and nearly blows it up. Trailbreaker spots him and stops him, because hitting an open spark could destroy half the ship, Whirl's response: "Which half?"
- "I'M TOO SMART TO DIE!"
MTMTE ISSUE 4:
- This exchange between Ratchet and Drift, right after Drift slashed the infected Dent:
Ratchet: "What was that?"Drift: "I don't know, but I think it was infected."Ratchet: "I'm talking about you! What's with all the-slicing?"Drift: "He was going to attack Pipes!"Ratchet: "He was moving at two miles an hour!"
- Dent used to be named Prowl, so he changed it to... Dent. This is final proof that they've run out of names.
- After Ratchet makes a backhanded comment, Drift responds with this:
"You know Ratchet one day you'll say something nice to me. Right before you tell me I have a terminal disease or something."
MTMTE ISSUE 5:
- This exchange between Ultra Magnus and Tailgate:
"I'm not convinced you're paying attention.""...what? Oh. Sorry—I, er, I thought I saw some graffiti on your desk. Yeah, some—some really tiny graffiti. 'Ultra Magnus is an O.C.D. control freak who uses learning to hurt people.' But it was just a speck of dirt.""DIRT?!""It's okay, sir—it's gone. It can't hurt you now."
- When Trailcutter investigates the medibay in his spotlight, Smokescreen has somehow managed to put what appears to be a massive nail through his torso. The incredulous expression on Ambulon's face is just the icing on the cake of hilarity. Becomes even funnier when you realize that he just joined up and is still getting used to the day-to-day insanity on board.
- In the same panel, we see that Dipstick has somehow managed to sever one of his arms off at the elbow and is presenting it to First Aid for treatment. His sheepish expression really sells it, and First Aid does a fine job of looking incredulous for someone without much of a face.
- Whirl becoming Trailcutter's Mentor. Though the fact still stands that his advice was actually pretty damn good.
- Whirl making fun of Trailcutter's "Forcefield face". He tries to demonstrate it to Trailcutter. Naturally, all three panels of the scene are exactly the same.
"You guys with mouths are so transparent."
- It's incredibly cruel, but Trailcutter's never-ending quest for respect is hilarious. Especially when he finally gets a Rodimus Star, only for the entire concept of the Rodimus Star to be negated when Roddy presents the rest of the crew with gigantic crests for "extreme courage in the face of adversity." Even Brainstorm, who froze everyone in the first place.
- Swerve declaring that he respects Hoist's privacy and desire not to talk about his past, only to give in to his impulse to be nosy a few panels later.
- The fact that the meter of Swerve's urge to speak as depicted in the narration boxes defaults to 96% the second he says he'll mind his own business.
- One of Swerve's mean digs at Sunstreaker, when he mentions his near-death experience, and Swerve imagines what everyone else's reaction was like:
Optimus Prime: Hey, what happened to Sunst-Prowl: Dead, presumably.Optimus: Okay, moving on.
MTMTE ISSUE 6:
- Trailcutter goes on a drunken rant about how overrated Fortress Maximus is. Fort Max then walks into the bar.
Trailcutter: I mean, 'Fortress Maximus'—come on. What kind of a name is that? But everyone's like, 'Oh, Fortress Maximus, you're my hero! You've got guns in your legs and you killed tons of 'Cons at Simanzi...' And I'm like 'That was a thousand years ago!' He's a relic! He's a has-been! He's—Chromedome: Just walked in.Trailcutter: Great to see you, Max! Come on over! We were just talking about Simanzi! With the thing and the—the stuff! So... oh wow! You've got guns in your legs! How's that working out for you? That's awesome, man. You're awesome.
- Issue 6 is a goldmine of dialogue for Whirl:
- When Fortress Maximus loses it and takes Whirl and Rung hostage This exchange happens.
Whirl: I give up. You win. Three hours I am so bored I think I'm going to-. Max I seriously doubt you have what it takes to see this through but if you have, then please just skip to the end and kill us.Rung: Whirl! What is wrong with you?!Whirl: You tell me - That's your job, isn't it?
- Whirl enjoys pissing off Fort Max:
Whirl: Seriously, all of this is a bit—it's a bit pathetic though, isn't it? Even for an epic, epic failure like you. I mean, not only do you practically beg the Decepticons to take G9 off your hands, but you curl up into a ball the moment Overlor—(Fortress Maximus pistol-whips Whirl.)Whirl: Wow. If I'd known that was the best you've got, I'd have said something genuinely offensive.
- When Fortress Maximus loses it and takes Whirl and Rung hostage This exchange happens.
MTMTE ISSUE 7:
- Issue 7 focuses more on the Decepticons, and they have their own comic relief in the form of Misfire.
Krok: Oh my. Look at that...Misfire: What? What is it? Should I be running? Am I wasting precious running away time by talking to you?
- To be fair, most of the Decepticons in issue 7 provide some entertainment:
Fulcrum: Mark my barely audible words: this is the last time I ever team up with Spinister. He just attacked our torch because it was glowing at him funny. I'm a bit scared.
- When the Scavengers are sitting around their campfire, Spinister provides us with this little gem:
Spinister: The fire's giving me funny looks Krok. I think I'm gonna shoot it.
- Might become slightly less funny when you realize that it probably was. They were burning an Autobot corpse. Except it wasn't a corpse.
- Misfire's whole introduction to Fulcrum:
Misfire: Nice to meet you, loser! They call me Misfire. Long story. Actually, you know what? It isn't. It's a very short story involving a machine gun, a misunderstanding, and a dozen dead Decepticons.Fulcrum: I'm Fulcrum. I—wait a second. Is that my fuel pump?Misfire: (glances down at what he's holding) What, this? Um...yeah. Can I keep it?
- Hell, Misfire alone is a source of numerous funny quotes.
- To be fair, most of the Decepticons in issue 7 provide some entertainment:
- Ultra Magnus' appropriate reaction to the "Fantastic Voyage" Plot.
Ultra Magnus: Whirl?! You let Whirl inside my body?!
Whirl: It says "The duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest Accord can duly appoint my shiny metal..."
- His smile. It saved hundreds of lives.
- And we later learn that Whirl left some graffiti in there.
MTMTE ISSUE 8:
- In the B-plot, Skids asks Chromedome to see if he can restore the former's lost memories. While the results are some off-panel Nightmare Fuel for the latter, the exchange beforehand is pretty damn funny:
- Chromedome: "Anyway, I thought you liked having amnesia."Skids: "Who told you that?"Chromedome: "You told Swerve, right? So assume everyone on board knows. In fact, assume everyone on Cybertron knows. In fact, assume that distant alien races, otherwise untouched by civilization—"Skids: "Okay, okay, point taken."
- Fulcrum's opinion on fighting the DJD:
- Fulcrum: "...It's suicide with delusions of survival!"
- When the dust settles, Fulcrum is shown how the Scavengers pay their...respects...to their fallen:
- Misfire: "A senseless waste. His ludicrous search for the Necrobot ends unfulfilled. A terrible, terrible tragedy. Boo hoo."Fulcrum: "'Boo hoo'? I thought Flywheels was your friend! You're just going to leave him here?"Misfire: "You're right. What were we thinking?"Crankcase: "I'm having his rotor system—"Misfire: "There's probably enough for a sip of innermost Energon each..."Spinister: "Leave the knees for me."
MTMTE ISSUE 9:
- From issue 9: Some of the crew get together in the bar where they witness Rewind's over-dramatic presentation of a repaired Rung.
- Rewind: It's True you see - Wait For it - We're going to repair Rung's Brain!.Ratchet: By the vaulted heights of-Drift: You had him hidden behind the Bar?!Chromedone: (Face palming): So Embarrassing.Skids: -not seriously telling me he was hidden behind there this whole time?!Whirl: Cool.
- Drift, while recounting the time he was saved by Orion Pax and taken care of by Ratchet, says that Ratchet started praying while operating on him. Ratchet promptly slaps his (recently spray-painted) hand over Drift's mouth, smearing red paint on his face.
Drift: So I'm laying on a circuit slab in Ratchet's Dead End workshop - and he says "Primus guide me, Primus protect me, I beseech you, oh might Primus, please-" mmmph!Ratchet: Unreliable narrator alert!
- Rewind failed attempt at Flipping the Table in imitation of Prowl's bad habit when he's angry. Doubly funny because Rewind is Adorkable and the mental image of Prowl, described not a panel earlier as "Ultra Magnus without the warmth and people skills" (a snarky comparison from the eternally snarky Swerve), actually losing his temper enough to do so.
- Chromedome reminds us that they're robots by mentioning a flashback where he asked Prowl how he makes the dismissive "Pfft" sound. It's a bit of culture clash, perhaps...that becomes doubly funny when you realize Chromedome can't do it naturally because he doesn't have lips.
MTMTE ISSUE 10:
- Whirl messing with Rung's eyebrows to make him seem cross.
- After hearing about Orion Pax, Swerve accidentally splashes Whirl in the face with his drink.
MTMTE ISSUE 11:
- Whirl makes Swerve tell him the super secret password before he lets him in. The password? "Whirl is a million billion times tougher than Cyclonus".
- In issue 11, Tailgate ends up having to take notes to help him keep track of all the characters in the story Rewind's telling. Later he's shocked to discover that after the story Orion Pax became Optimus Prime.
- After Swerve dismisses Rewind's concerns with a "pfft," Chromedome's reaction is not to stand up for his Conjunx Endura, but to ask someone to teach him how to make that sound.
MTMTE ISSUE 12:
- This exchange in issue 12:
Rodimus: This is what you get for kidnapping innocent people, Snap Trap: a ship load of Autobots in your face! Wam, bam, in the van!Snap Trap: A turn of phrase worthy of Optimus Prime.
Rodimus: "Ultra Magnus informs me that running through the Lost Light shouting 'Who's up for a fight?' doesn't technically qualify as a 'briefing.' "
- On top of that, Tailgate tries to defuse a bomb. Rewind has this to say:
Rewind: "D'you mind if I film this? If I die, I don't want my last recorded footage to be of Whirl punching himself in the face to prove he's 'super-unvincible.'"
- When Tailgate is talking to Chromedome, CD mentions that he's "a close second" on Rewind's list, and that a 'bot named Dominus Ambus is the first.
Chromedome: I'm doing a disservice by calling him a campaigner. He was more of a - Primus, where to start? Scientist, doctor, author, explorer.Tailgate: I hate him.
MTMTE ISSUE 13:
- In issue 13 we get to see Cyclonus singing. Cyclonus. Singing. Even funnier, he's singing in an ancient, basically dead language. It sounds so horrifying that Swerve, Drift, and Aquafend barge into his and Tailgate's room because they think he's killing Tailgate. It becomes a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming at the end of the issue.
- Swerve mentioning that Whirl likes to introduce himself by saying he has "no known weaknesses". This is a riff on the somewhat...hyperbolic European tech specs in the late G1 to G2 era, many of which employed that exact phrase.
- Whirl's holomatter Avatar, a pre-teen girl with a missing tooth, eyepatch, and machine guns.◊
- And Ultra Magnus' is based on Verity, which raises eyebrows among the other 'bots.
- Ultra Magnus was slipped a really strong drink by Whirl that knocks him out cold. Later on, Whirl uses Magnus' head as a coaster.
- Speaking of Ultra Magnus, his rant about the antics of the crew at the beginning of the issue contains some comedic gold:
Ultra Magnus: "MUTINY! Everywhere I look, I see rules being stretched, and laws being broken, and protocols being dragged outside and kicked to death. I've made a list: one, Skids keeps using the maintenance droids for target practice. Two, Waverider and Sureshot insist on playing hand-grenade tag outside my office. Three: the warning signs that Dipstick's put up in the engine rooms are riddled with misplaced apostrophes. Four: Sprocket keeps touching his—"Rodimus: "MAGNUS!"
Ultra Magnus: "That's not even a word. I'd have heard of it."
- Shortly after this, Rodimus suggests that Magnus needs to relax and unwind...
Rodimus: "If anyone can cheer [Magnus] up, you can!"Swerve: "You say "cheer him up" like it's something other than a centuries-long undertaking destined to end in madness and suicide."
- And then Rodimus recruits Swerve to help Ultra Magnus chill out a little:
- Rodimus had Drift give the crew 50 shanix each for spending money during shore leave. This isn't funny. What is funny is that Word of God says that Rodimus made Drift give the crew his own money.
- The shore leave group realizes they only have twenty minutes to make their shuttle back, and Ultra Magnus is still unconscious. The others get their real bodies to the shuttle and then go back for him in their holomatter forms, planning to trigger his transformation to vehicle mode and drive him through a shortcut through through an organics-only area. How do they plan to do this? Well, when dropping him repeatedly doesn't work, they all start jumping up an down on him— though, obviously, Whirl had prayed it wouldn't come to that.
Rewind: "Join me!" says Rodimus. "Help me search for the Knights of Cybertron!" "Explore strange new worlds!" "Seek out new life!" Jump up and down on the Duly Appointed Officer of the Tyrest Accord!"Swerve: I don't care what happens next: this quest just made the top three...Rung: Do you think this type of thing happens to Bumblebee and Prowl?
MTMTE ISSUE 15:
- In a meta-example... Hitler reacts to Issue 15#, specifically Rewind's death.
- Before the battle Swerve and Rewind are in the Science Lab talking to Brainstorm. Swerve fiddles around with a device in the lab which Brainstorm explains is a "Meta-Bomb" which causes it's victims to think they're characters in a narrative. After he warns Swerve not to mess with it this happens:
Swerve: Guess what? I pressed it and nothing happened.Rewind: I didn't see you press it.Swerve: Yeah it must've happened off-panel.Rewind: What does that mean?Swerve: I have no idea.
- Swerve than spends the entire battle afterwards spouting off fourth-wall breaking comments.
MTMTE ISSUE 17:
- At the end of issue 17, after the crew discovers a field of sparks waiting to be born Cyclonus points out one green superspark. Brainstorm points out how rare and precious this sort of thing is... than starts trying to rip it up from the ground. This causes Perceptor and half of the crew to flip out in shock.
MTMTE ISSUE 18:
- Swerve's "My First Blaster", a toy-like rifle with flashy colors, a smiley face, and even yells "Hooray! You scored a direct hit" when it hits something, courtesy of Brainstorm!.
- It also seems to play Sad Trombones when he misses, encouraging him to keep practicing: "Aww, you missed! Keep Practicing!"
- The best part is the orange tip, a Mythology Gag relating to how toy weapons in America must have bright colors and how all gun-style iterations of Megatron, including the Masterpiece version, have to be sold with their tips painted orange.
- After the crew is accused of crimes against the universe by Chief Justice Tyrest, he asks if they have anything to say. Rodimus responds with this:
MTMTE ISSUE 19:
- Tyrest punching Magnus in the face is darkly amusing for how random and unexpected it is.
- When Magnus reveals that one of the crewmembers is a criminal, Rodimus instantly knows it's Whirl. He's surprised to be informed otherwise.
MTMTE ISSUE 20:
- Getaway quickly proves himself to be one of the funniest characters yet.
Getaway: BOMP! When you- BOMP- say something funny or clever or BOMP that's what I do. You hate it. You say it's patronizing. Which it is. Which is why I do it.Skids: I have no idea who you are. Or why you keep saying bomp.Getaway: ANYWAY! Hot Rod.
- Though the scene before it was heart-rending, First Aid gives a hilarious rebuttal to the famous "If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him" Aesop.
Ratchet: No. If we kill him, we're no better than him. If we kill him, he wins.First Aid: Yeah except we are better than him and he doesn't win. He doesn't anything. He's dead. That's the point.
- Whatever it is the Scavengers have been up to since we last saw them. Apparently Misfire got himself captured by the Galactic Council, and Fulcrum devised a plan to bust him out of one of their high-security detention facilities alone. Apparently everything was going flawlessly until Misfire insisted on stopping for snacks.
- When the Killswitch signal hits Constancy, one can see Grimlock in the background playing jenga with Spinister completely unaware that Krok, Spinister, and Crankcase are all screaming in pain. Even funnier, Word of God says that the jenga set he's using is the only source of entertainment on the WAP and it has missing pieces.
MTMTE ISSUE 21:
- Whirl asks Cyclonus if they can finally bury the hatchet. Cyclonus responds by shoving Whirl into a smelting pool... except Cyclonus was just having an Imagine Spot. He was really looking forward to killing Whirl.
MTMTE ISSUE 22:
- Ultra Magnus gets permission to edit Rewind's documentary. He exploits this to censor clips that make him look like an idiot.
- Swerve sets up a bet that whoever finds out what Rung transforms into gets 100 shanix. Cue the crew getting into various insane schemes as they conspire to find out Rung's alt mode. Swerve and Waverider's idea is to throw stuff at the back of Rung's head to cause an involuntary transformation.
Rung: How do you reach your drinks?Tailgate: ...Tailgate: ...Tailgate: Good point.
- Tailgate, on the other hand, hosts an "alt-mode party," consisting of himself and several others sitting around in their vehicle modes, which he claims to have been popular in his day (which was also Rung's day). Rung immediately spots a rather significant flaw in the concept.
- Skids and Whirl get into a contest with a group of Stentarians to find out which species is cooler. They get utterly trumped in every single way. The kicker is that they're small — the combiner form they brag about is the size of Skids.
- And then Whirl reheats Ammonites-Terradore War by casually murdering the Terradore leader.
- Ultra Magnus hugs Thunderclash.
- Rodimus walks into the Bridge wearing a bucket. Blaster asks why and Rodimus explains that Swerve is having a costume theme night at his bar. "People You Want To Punch".
"I was a lone Megatron in a sea of Whirls."
- An example that sadly had to be cut from the issue was a planned B-plot about Ratchet tricking Drift into thinking that Pharma has possessed Ratchet's hands. It would've ended with Drift chopping Ratchet's hands off and throwing them out the airlock. Except that was a prank too.
- Chromedome finally figures out how to make the "pfft" noise after four million years of trying.
MTMTE ISSUE 24:
- When Getaway gets his first look at the Rodpod, he has a pretty funny line:
Getaway: And this guy is your leader.
- The Rodpod in general. It's a vessel shaped like Rodimus' head.
- Orion Pax, Hardhead, and Rodimus are wandering the Dead Universe, and Rodimus and Hardhead bicker like children, forcing Orion to be the dad.
Hardhead: Hey, I'm not judging.Rodimus: You are judging...Orion, he IS judging.Orion Pax: Stop judging, Hardhead.
MTMTE ISSUE 28:
- The opening with Brainstorm and Nautica discussing the practicality of color-coded lasers.
- Prowl when discussing Megatron's possible outcomes.
Prowl: "We have two options: Public Executio, Indefinitive Spark Containment, or Public Execution."Ultra Magnus: "You said Public Execution twice."Prowl: "Cognitive bias, look it up."
- Ratchet brings the snark:
Ratchet: We can't remove Megatron's spark without killing him. His internal organs are shot. It's amazing he's still alive. Did I say amazing? I meant depressing.
- Starscream and Rodimus bickering.
Starscream: "As I said, my people want a trial."Rodimus: "They're not your people, they're not your anything. They're ordinary cybertronian citizens who went insane and put you in charge, any day they'll wake up and realize what they've done, and kill themselves. Suicide by face-palm".
- Megatron in therapy:
Megatron: Enough's enough. Two hours listening to you tell my why I used to wear a giant weapon on my arm. I hate to disappoint you, Rung, but sometimes a fusion cannon is just a fusion cannon.
- Swerve, Crosscut, and Riptide hold fake "crewditions" to try and decide who gets on the Lost Light. Their reasons for rejecting people include being easily distracted, looking too similar to Prowl, and having trisyllabic names. Nightbeat foils their prank by dramatically bursting in Phoenix Wright-style to point out that crewditions isn't a real word, specially after saying they're doing this on Magnus' orders, and Magnus would obviously not let them use a fake word to begin with.
- During their fight Whirl kicks Megatron in the crotch.
- Basically the whole first half of the comic...
MTMTE ISSUE 29:
- While Cyclonus is filling Tailgate in on what happened while he was in medbay, the two run into Jackpot and Mainframe. Jackpot is drunk off his ass and having to be dragged to Ratchet to keep from him suffering the Transformer-equivalent of a burst kidney. Why? He decided to hang out with Trailcutter.
- The issue's plot is basically Trailcutter trying to steal the captain's liquor, while drunk. It's glorious. Until it takes a turn for the horrific at the end.
"I'm at the medibay door—they've done something to it. They've made it all lock-y. I think I want to punch it."
- Swerve has fixed up a dead Legislator and reprogrammed it as his bouncer. He calls it Ten because that's the only thing it says. So naturally, he paints a big 9 on its back. Swerve thinks this is comedic gold.
- There's loads of Funny Background Events in Swerve's bar in this issue:
- When Joyride walks in, he and Ten give each other a fist bump.
- Groove and Streetwise are wrestling on the floor. Groove is winning.
- The Lost Light Insider claims that Megatron almost attacked Ultra Magnus over the mysterious coffin. The picture shows Ultra Magnus screaming in Megatron's face while he makes a hilarious trollface.
- Starscream's speech at Megatron's trial gets derailed a few times because Starscream can't quit talking about himself.
- Nightbeat freaking out after seeing what appears to be Rewind's ghost.
"Information carries weight. It's not corporeal, but it has presence. It can be felt. It hangs in the air like—like words. Like the morning after an argument! Actually, not like that. That's a bad analogy. I'm distracted. Shut up. Stop expecting things of me."
- Also worth pointing out is that, throughout Nightbeat and Chromedome's entire conversation, Nightbeat's been unlocking the dozens of locks he keeps on his door.
- Rattrap updates Starscream on how his public image has been bolstered by Megatron's trial:
Rattrap: Some poor, deluded schmuck even called you honorable...Starscream: Let's hope he gets the help he needs.
MTMTE ISSUE 30:
- This cover◊, which shows Rodimus handing the keys of the Lost Light to Megatron.
- The comic has a lot of fun with a dead copy of Rodimus being in the coffin.
Chromedome: I could die.Rodimus: "Could"! The luxury of "could"! I'M ALREADY DEAD!
- Rodimus pesters Chromedome into helping:
Skids: But... you'll have one arm for the rest of your life.Rodimus: At least I'll have a rest of my life!Megatron: (hand on chin) What if we're destined to reattach your arm after you die and before we put you in the coffin...?Rodimus: Okay, everyone promise not to do that.
- The crew acknowledges the possibility of a Stable Time Loop, so Rodimus decides to Screw Destiny by chopping his own arm off with a chainsaw; since the dead version has both arms, he'll have averted that potential timeline.
- Whirl, the psychopathic anti-hero, decides to protest to his confinement by projecting a little girl avatar of himself, braiding his hair, and watching off-world cinema.
- It turns out that Rodimus is now "co-captain"... except he's not. That's just something Optimus made up to keep Rodimus from getting upset before the Lost Light left.
- Brainstorm is listed as "the Genius" of Team Rodimus, only for a little anecdote to comment "citation needed".
- Brainstorm's early early warning system (his early warning system always kicked in too late) with the known ratings "Uh-Oh!" and "Run For Your Life!"
- When Megatron orders the Lost Light evacuated, Rodimus can be seen in the background fighting him for the radio.
Rodimus: I'm blaming you for this Megatron! This has you written all over it!Megatron: Sorry. Not guilty.Rodimus: Did you seriously just say that to me? Did you seriously.
- Later we hear this argument between them:
- Ratchet's reaction to Rodimus' gift from the crew.
Ratchet: A new Rodpod. Let joy be unconfined.
- Sticking with Ratchet, his "suggestion" on how Rodimus's head gets sliced in half. Incredibly inept brain-surgery.
- When Megatron changes his statement to Not Guilty, Starscream makes the most brilliant Oh Crap! face, but even better is Prowl's expression of sheer rage.
- The patrons at Swerve's bar are discussing how Megatron is actually holding classes on the Knights of Cybertron as part of his attempt to turn the mission around.
Skids: Say what you like about the most feared and hated psychopath of all time-at least he's trying to educate us.Swerve: He's trying to distract us. While we're busy learning about the Knights he's devising ways to win us over, kill us, rebuild the Decepticons and take over the universe.Riptide: *Staring gloomily into his drink* That's what I need; goals.
- Nightbeat Comically Missing the Point when the wall behind Rodimus in the medbay vanishes, prompting the crew to realize the ship is disintegrating around them.
Chromedome: First Nightbeat's hab suite, now this. The whole ship's disappearing!Nightbeat: Which means I just won on points!
- Earlier, Nightbeat had tried to tell Rodimus about opening the door to his hab suite and finding the wall had vanished only for Rodimus to angrily cut him off and say unless Nightbeat found his own mutilated corpse inside, Rodimus wins.
MTMTE ISSUE 31:
- A huge Brick Joke comes into play here during a flashback scene.
Drift:(annoyed at Pipes)Seriously Pipes, don't make me put my foot down.note
- It's shown that Riptide found the Lost Light's previous owners by loudly screaming in the middle of a ceremony honoring the dead.
- Megatron criticizes Riptide for focusing too much on the past.
- He also still says things like "you Autobots" even though he's an Autobot too.
- Nightbeat figures out the key to the mystery... except he only manages to do so after everyone except himself, Megatron, Skids, Nautica, Getaway, and Riptide have been taken. Oops.
- The return of the word "crewditions".
- Getaway gets annoyed by Nightbeat's behaviour.
Getaway: If I keep sitting next to you, am I going to die of smartass poisoning?
MTMTE ISSUE 32:
- Nautica mistakes Ravage for a pet and tries to give him rubs.
- It's revealed that Brainstorm apparently customized Nautica's wrench for her; the result is a wrench that has an absurd amount of pointless extra features and gadgets such as a flashlight and a small bulb that lights up when Nautica exaggerates.
MTMTE ISSUE 33
- The usual "previous issue" spiel isn't happened by a wall of text this time, but a narrative from Swerve...who delivers the news as only Swerve can.
- The roll call shortly thereafter seems to appreciate the reaction of longtime fans to the return of a long-absent crew member, as it lists, after the mention of the others:
- And, following the above, Megatron and Ravage's exchange could be viewed as a clever little nod to the readers:
Ravage: Such a fuss. Is he important?Megatron: Come now, Ravage. Everyone's important these days. (Beat.) But yes, I gather they're particularly fond of this one.
- Nautica's attempt at making a joke about quantum mechanics. Her lame attempt to explain it to Riptide manages to be funnier.
Riptide: Are jokes not funny where you come from?
- Nautica believes that Ravage would be willing to sacrifice himself to save some non-cybertronians — all the while petting him again:
Nautica: Before you volunteer, Ravage, I'm sorry, but you lack the manual dexterity to perform the task.Ravage: Touch me again and I'll kill you.
- Megatron and Nightbeat's discussion about moles and turncoats, once it's revealed that Brainstorm is a Decepticon mole:
Nightbeat: "Did you know about this?"Megatron: "No. I don't know all our undercover assets. To be honest, he's not our type."Nightbeat: "There's a type?"Megatron: "Hmm. Have you never been approached?"
- Alternate!Rewind needing to be brought up to speed on a few things; namely that a) Megatron is an Autobot, b) Nightbeat's not dead anymore, and c) Nautica's around and "he" is actually a "she".
MTMTE Issue 34
- Bluestreak's reaction to Trailcutter reading the post-war edition of Megatron's Towards Peace.
Bluestreak: "Postwar Edition"? Don't tell me-there's a new chapter at the end. "Ignore everything I just said."
MTMTE Issue 35
- A random officer who holds up Rewind and Minimus Ambus is designed to look like Judge Dredd.
- Chromedome's over-the-top reaction (he thinks it's heroic) to Rewind having a nightmare.
Rewind: Look what you did to my door...
- The reveal that Brainstorm is a time traveler causes Megatron to go into a breakdown, ranting about how his role on the Lost Light is actually his punishment:
Megatron: "This conversation is ridiculous. You are ridiculous. Everything that's happened in the last few days is intensely ridiculous. Six months into this shambles of a quest—six months!—and not a day goes by—not an hour—when I don't have to stand back from this endless parade of nonsense and remind myself, by means of several blows to the head, that I am here of my own volition, and not as a result of some—some elaborate trap set by Optimus Prime. Why bother looking for the Knights of Cybertron? Why postpone my trial? I've already been convicted—and this is my punishment. You! This ship! This life!"
- When he calms down and apologises for his outburst:
Ultra Magnus: "Not at all. On this ship, a minor breakdown is practically a rite of passage."
- When he calms down and apologises for his outburst:
MTMTE Issue 36
- While explaining the situation to the crew, Rodimus delivers "the most Rodimus body language to ever Rodimus".
- Whirl flips out at the idea of raiding Brainstorm's workshop to get weapons.
- During the away team's briefing Tailgate can be seen piggyback riding Rewind.
- Cyclonus points out that the Senate's floating device probably wouldn't harm the sparks in the hot spot because "if you're going to kill newborns you need to do it discreetly". Upon hearing this Tailgate throws a childish fit:
"That's a horrible thing to say!""I'm not endorsing it!""It's still horrible!"
- Throughout the issue Roller is drinking out of a juice box, even during combat. Becomes less funny when it turns out to basically be a steroid he's become addicted to out of desperation to be skilled like the Outliers.
- When the away team discovers the weapon platform Riptide exclaims "They've gone to plan B! That's B for BLOW EVERYTHING UP".
- This exchange:
Rodimus: I think you should stay here, inside, where it's safe. If ever you're life's been in danger it's now.Orion: Trailbreaker I want you to-Rodimus: Oh. So you're just going to ignore me.Orion: I thought you were joking and yes.
- While Orion is explaining the situation to Rodimus, Whirl can be seen in the background staring at the ceiling for no explicable reason◊.
MTMTE Issue 37
- The whole war between the Autobots and Decepticons started... because Rung accidentally knocked over a bar patron's drink trying to get Tailgate a curly straw.
"Chill! Rung's getting you [a straw]. Jeez, it's not the end of the world..."
- While on the way out, Rodimus tells the others not to make eye contact, singling out Tailgate specifically. When asked why, he says Tailgate just has one of those of faces.
Tailgate: What's wrong with my face?Rodimus: It's basically a punch magnet.Tailgate: So rude! Cyclonus, did you hear that?Cyclonus: No. Was it about your face?
- According to Ultra Magnus, Megatron's threat level is "incalculable".
- Rodimus spies Megatron hiding under the table during the bar fight and laments that they didn't take Rewind with them.
MTMTE Issue 38
- Megatron brings up Rodimus' myriad faults. Special mentions go to Roddy's apparent habits of somersaulting onto the bridge and feigning death to avoid answering questions.
- Ultra Magnus and Megatron compare Rodimus Stars, with Mags' for "neatest handwriting" and Megs' for "abandoning his evil ways." The conversation also brings Ultra Magnus' lifetime smile count up to four.
- Cyclonus singing The Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News. And encouraging everyone else to join in.
- During an argument, Ultra Magnus points out that Megatron was happy to let Rodimus take care of things when it was Orion's life on the line. Megatron's response is "What?" followed by "Don't be clever. It makes you look stupid."
MTMTE Issue 39
- Nickel chewing out the DJD like an angry grandmother, including reprimanding Helex for not brushing his teeth. While she's doing so, one can see the Pet trying to hop on Tarn's lap in the background and having to be shoved off.
- She also makes some (apparently) incredibly obscene gestures at the other members of the DJD. Despite being the cruelest and most vicious murderers/torturers/genocidal psychopaths in the galaxy, they are rather taken aback.
Tarn:"Not precisely sure what she means by that gesture, but I imagine it tilts towards the obscene."Helix:"Disgusting! You fix Decepticons with those hands?!"Tarn:"And... we seem to have an extended version of the first gesture. I— Goodness, now that really does leave no room for doubt."
- She also makes some (apparently) incredibly obscene gestures at the other members of the DJD. Despite being the cruelest and most vicious murderers/torturers/genocidal psychopaths in the galaxy, they are rather taken aback.
- Tarn's response to Tesarus complaining about bureaucracy:
Tesarus: Tsk! Health and safety gone mad...Tarn: (Suddenly Shouting) Black mark!Tesarus: Aw, for— All I said was—Tarn: Two black marks! One more and it's a written warning!
- When the DJD arrives at Deathsaurus's ship, the still-weak Vos can be seen hiding behind Nickel.
MTMTE Issue 40
- Swerve's assholish treatment of Ten, in a blackly comedic way. Especially the reveal that Swerve, while thinking that Ten is non-sentient, spray-painted the words "I failed the Ambus Test" on his back.
- Actually, if you compare the handwriting to some other graffiti seen in the issue, it appears that Whirl wrote that. So not only does Swerve treat Ten like a drone, he lets others get away with it too. Ymmv on whether that pushes it too far to be even darkly funny anymore.
- In a subtle Brick Joke, we later see that Swerve is one of the only crewmembers who Ten hasn't made art for/of.
- While Brainstorm and Nautica are making up after recent events, Brainstorm adds a new button to her wrench; when pressed it makes the wrench shout "BRAINSTORM IS AN ASS".
- During Brainstorm's hearing, Rodimus steals Ultra Magnus's name holder and rearranges the letters just to piss off Magnus. Than he spends several panels trying to figure out how Brainstorm's faceplate works, rejecting help like an angry child.
- Bonus points for making it sound rather like he's playing with a Transformer and can't figure out how to make it change shape.
- Swerve invites Megatron to perform poetry at Mirage's rival bar "Visages". Megs barely gets through the first verse before everyone flees back to Swerve's bar.
- This exchange during Brainstorm's hearing:
Brainstorm: Everyone who's ever built a fully functioning time machine, stand up.(Riptide stands up)(beat)Riptide: Oh, a time machine...! Sorry.(awkwardly sits back down)
- Another one happens when Perceptor starting applauding after Brainstorm goes on a small rant about not being held accountable for actions that aren't his own. Everyone stares at Perceptor for a minute before resuming the hearing.
- Tailgate still thinks Whirl's name is Nutjob.
MTMTE Issue 41
- A lot of this issue's humor comes from shenanigans in the background:
- There's also the ridiculously horrible fact that Rodimus seems happy that Thunderclash is dying.
Rodimus: Having said that, it looks like [Thunderclash's] derring-do...Megatron: (facepalming) Don't even say it.Rodimus: ...is derring-done.
Rodimus: [double thumbs-up, huge grin] I wouldn't want anyone here to mistake my grief for giddy excitement
- Taken a step further over the line a little later in the scene:
- Thunderclash sends a message to his observers by essentially killing himself so his life sign monitors make words. This would be horrifying if not for this gem of a comment. From Minimus Ambus of all people!
Velocity: He's killing himself to send us a message...?Minimus: A grammatically correct message. Look at that apostrophe...First Aid: He had to reduce his lifespan by six hours to generate that apostrophe.Minimus: I know that's not supposed to impress me, but...
- Bluestreak pouring Engex into a bowl for Ravage to lap up.
- Swerve has consumed the entirety of human cultural output. Every movie, book, song, play, etc. And he has reached three conclusions.
- Swerve: One: Life is inherently tragic - and over far too quickly.Swerve: Two: All art thrives on conflict. We valorize fiction because it helps us make sense of ourselves.
- The story opens with Rodimus banging a giant gong to summon everyone to a meeting. It's to indicate that they've hit a milestone on their quest by successfully tracking down Thunderclash. Except no one except Swerve knows what the gong is because this has never happened before. And Rodimus even puts up a banner saying "WE'VE ACHIEVED SOMETHING".
Rodimus: Everyone turn to your left, shake hands with the person next to you, and say "Well done"...Okay, it's not gonna work if everyone turns to their left...
MTMTE Issue 42
- Roche and Burcham's cover◊, with the crew having a dance party while Rodimus plays an air guitar.
- Nautica attempting to fight the invisible monsters:
Nautica: All I've got to throw at them is a selection of scathing literary quotations. "There is none so craven a fighter as one who uses heft to-"
- Nightbeat and Getaway arguing with each other while getting beaten up.
- At the end of the issue, Nightbeat is overjoyed that he apparently solved the mystery and saved the day like always... only for Ultra Magnus to reveal that in reality Skater, Flex, and Borer-three random background characters-were the ones who actually saved the day. And further they figured out what was going on before Nightbeat did. And they did it without rubbing it in everybody's faces.
- Not to mention the way in which the day was saved; by getting Rodimus and Megatron to walk into the room and having all the personality ticks immediately fall over dead from overdosing on the combined force of their overwhelming charisma.
- During the party at the end Riptide and Ravage are hanging out and we get this exchange:
Riptide: So, Megatron or Soundwave?Ravage: What? What kind of a question—Riptide: If you had to choose. If.Ravage: What is this, a suicide attempt?Riptide: I'm sensing Megatron.Ravage: I didn't say that.
- Also the fact that Firestar seems convinced that Nautica was a total badass, even though, as noted above, Nautica got the crap kicked out of her in the fight.
MTMTE Issue 43:
- Bluestreak, Skids, and Rung getting dragged into an impromptu paintball fight with the neighbors ("As you do."). Skids' utterly dejected expression is gold, as is Cyclonus' completely exasperated one when Rung accidentally sprays him in the face.
- The crew first discovers the mysterious holomatter planet pursuing them when they pick up the lone radio signal it's giving off; the Cheers theme song but with the lyrics altered to be about Swerve's bar. Rodimus and Blaster think it's catchy, while Megatron just buries his face in his hands out of embarrassment.
- Rodimus sends a message to one of the away teams:
"TALK 2 ME. WHAT R U DOING? TIME IS RUNNING OUT. THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE OBV. HASHTAG PISSED."Tailgate: Even I know you don't write hashtag...
- Rodimus and Bluestreak discover that the holomatter Earth has a laugh track built in:
Rodimus: I heard people laughing. Lots of people. Are you having a party?Bluestreak: Oh wait—that'll be the canned laughter.Rodimus: The what?Bluestreak: 'Swearth' isn't like normal planets. It's... how can I put this? It's got it's own laughter track.(Laugh track plays)Rodimus: There it is again! I didn't even say anything funny!Bluestreak: You probably made a face. Reactions get big laughs too. And don't be freaked out if you walk into a room and there's a round of applause and cheering.Rodimus: Eh. That's what happens normally.
- When Cyclonus, Tailgate, Bluestreak, Skids, and Rung arrive on "Swearth" they end up in the apartment from Friends. Later we see that Chromedome, Rewind, and Ultra Magnus ended up in the study room from Community.
- The bar Rodimus, Nautica, Nightbeat, and Megatron visit is titled "The Jumping Shark".
- Numerous tiny gags involving the crew's holomatter avatars:
- Rodimus looks like a punk rock version of Marty McFly.
- Tailgate is not only still a baby, but he has a goofy-looking hat with a big "T" printed on it. He also has an Autobot symbol with a ruffle-y bonnet and star-shaped eyes on his overalls.
- And Cyclonus carries him around in a few panels with one of those baby harnesses strapped to his chest.
- Cyclonus and Rung are both dressed in inexplicable Victorian outfits that look like they came from the 1800's.
- Nautica looks like a plumber.
- Nightbeat resembles Idris Elba.
- Megatron looks like a supervillain, complete with gratuitous red eyes and a tacky skull-shaped belt buckle.
- Tailgate has a little Cyclonus mug.
- Nautica tries to tickle Megatron. Turns out he isn't ticklish.
Nautica: Which you are not! So that's settled!
- Not from the comic itself but this message from Jack Angel (the original voice actor for Ultra Magnus in the cartoon series) to James Roberts in which he challenges Roberts to a fistfight over his portrayal of Ultra Magnus. It's amazing.
"Unlike Ultra Magnus I can and will deal with you now!"
- A Fanon piece by the series' colorist, Josh Burcham deals with Ultra Magnus handing Megatron the Autobot book, the unabridged version.
- Turns out that Hot Shot's single panel cameo in issue 35 happened because Dave Willis asked Alex Milne to. Even funnier, it forms a sort of brick joke/call back; several years ago Milne had used Hot Shot as a red-shirt background character in another comic as a playful jab at Willis.
- James Roberts revealed a deleted scene from issue 22 wherein Ratchet's hand's may be haunted. Josh Burcham recreated the scene on his own time and posted it.