- Large Ham Col. Ralph Heffner's disintegration in mid-sentence always made me laugh:
Ralph Heffner: Everybody out of here, everybody out! The Air Force will take care of these babies now. Doctor Forrester, get out of here! Everybody out of here! everybody ou -...
- It's pretty much a case of "dark humor" but, I always chuckle at the reporter who gets indignant, not that he and his species is being attacked. Oh no, he's mad that the aliens messed with his equipment.
Radio Reporter: Hey! They cut me off. They got my truck!
- Like a kitten about to attack a bull dog for some imaginary offense.
- The whole fact that the movie's hero is named Dr. Clayton Forrester. Of course, this was the source of the name in the first place.
- Parson Nathaniel's wife, in attempt to calm him, says "They're not devils, they're martians". And that's better how?
- The scene in the car just after the Ferrier family escapes the first Tripod attack.
- Immediately preceeding this scene, Rachel cries/screams "is it the terrorists?" too, in what may now seem a Hilarious in Hindsight manner.
- This priceless exchange that hilariously shows how much of a terrible father Ray is:
- Rachel: I'm allergic to peanut butter.Ray: Since when?Rachel: Birth.Ray: OK, well, here. Here, you can eat the bread. OK?Rachel: I'm not hungry.Ray: OK, well, Robbie and I are gonna be eating peanut butter sandwiches. (to Robbie) Want jelly on this sandwich?Robbie: I'm not hungry either.Ray: You're not hungry either? OK. (gathers up the bread) That's fine. Fine. (throws remaining peanut-buttered slice at window, making it stick) (exhales) Everybody just relax, OK? Because we're here now. We're safe, and we're gonna stay. In the morning, your mom and Tim are gonna be here and everything's gonna be fine. OK? OK.
- And just preceding this, Ray discovers that Robbie's "food" packing consists of nothing but condiments, to which Robbie retorts that's all that was in the house.