Funny: The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists
Being an Aardman Animations film, The Pirates In An Adventure With Scientists is essentially 88 minutes of CMO Fs strung together by a plot. The gag-per-second ratio is colossal. Some of the highlights are noted below.
- Let's get this started with a Freeze-Frame Bonus. If you look closely at the Pirate of the Year application, the highest level of shouting is BRIAN BLESSED.
(Confiscate)"Your pirate badge with googly eyes!"
- Who, of course, stars as the Pirate King himself in a One-Scene Wonder, replete with this glorious line:
- The Pirate Captain even checks off this box.
- This line from a scientist regarding Polly.
"Makes that electricity thing look like a pile of crap!"
- "He's not a scientist! He's a girl guide!"
- "He's not a girl guide! He's a PIRATE!!!"
- Cue the executioner conveniently in Queen Victoria's room.
- The Pirate Captain's "WTF" expression when he realizes that Darwin is crushing on Queen Vicky.
- The use of "I'm Not Crying" by Flight of the Conchords makes a sort-of sad scene hilarious.
- The Pirate Captain's failed attempts at pillaging. Particularly on how he keeps losing steam with each worthless target. By the time he reaches the ghost ship he's not even trying to sound tough.
"Pirate Captain blah blah blah blah blah gold."
- "Gold? I'm afraid we don't have any gold old man this is a leaper boat[arm falls off] see".
- For some reason, it's really funny for the British to give Queen Victoria an Establishing Character Moment of her shrieking "I HATE PIRATES!"
- Mr. Bobo himself turns the entire film funny. He communicates via flash cards, which make for many a funny moment. This includes him letting out a flurry of cards when falling that spell out "AAAAHHH!" to spelling out "DUM! DUM! DUMMM!" with cards when Victoria is about to enter.
- The DVD short, "So You Want To Be A Pirate!" is basically a 17 minute-long Funny Moment. Highlights include:
- The Pirate Captain vs. a weevil. Not to mention the trouble it causes for anyone unlucky enough to get between them.
- The Pirate With A Scarf's attempts to dig up treasure, going from a shovel and pickaxe to stuff you'd see in a Wil E. Coyote cartoon.
- The wind demonstration segment.
- Trying to get rid of an overeager pirate recruit via cannon.
- Everything the Pirate King does.
- "BIIIIIG BARNACLES!!!"
- Darwin enthusiastically dancing to the song at the end. If you listen closely to the audio, he actually starts to sing along just before the squid gets him.
- The giant fish pointed by the Pirate Captain on the map, Darwin points out that its just there for decoration. Then at the end of the movie, it swallows then spits out the ship.