- All of Flynn Ryder's expressions before the Character Development kicks in. Whether completely deadpan or trying to be charming, he's hilarious even when not speaking.
- For roughly the first half of the film, he has an unbreaking look of pure misery on his face during every musical number, even when he's just hovering in the background. Never so much as a twitch. It's great.
- For "I've Got a Dream" his annoyed expression is completely justified, as the thugs first wanted to turn him to the authorities as a thief, then hung him on a hook, then forced him to sing at swordpoint, and eventually just started to toy around with him like he was a puppet...
- Flynn's reaction to hearing Rapunzels name:
All right, Blondie... Rapunzel: Rapunzel
! Flynn: Gesundheit
. Here's the deal...
- Then him calling her "Goldie" or "Blondie" for the majority of the movie, instead of her name, which is even a bit of Fridge Brilliance considering that we find out at the end that he prefers brunettes, so his using these terms can be seen as an indicator that he's not attracted at all to her initially since she's not his type.
- Rapunzel's little rejoicing/crying episodes after leaving the tower with Flynn, done as a series of rapid fire Gilligan Cuts. Helped, of course, by Flynn standing in the background utterly deadpan. You really get the impression it's happening as fast for him as it is for us.
Rapunzel: I can't believe I did this! [whispers] I can't believe I did this. I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THIS! Mother will be so furious! [admiring some flowers] That's okay, I mean what she doesn't know won't kill her, right? [hiding in a cave, rocking back and forth] Oh, my gosh! This would kill her! [running around] THIS IS SOOOOO FUUUUUUN! [head leaning against a tree] I... am a horrible daughter. I'm going back. [rolling down a hill] I am NEVER going back! Whoo-hoo! [face down in the grass] I am a despicable human being! [swinging from her hair around a tree] WHOO-HOO! BEST! DAY! EVER! [ends scene with herself sitting beside a rock, crying]
- One of the thugs in the pub doing two salto's then jumping over Flynn and through a closed window. Apparently his dream was acrobatics / gymnastics.
- Flynn's attempt to distract Rapunzel by the sexy:
Flynn: ...This is kind of an off day for me. This doesn't normally happen.
- This conversation:
All right. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm letting you out of the deal. Rapunzel:
That's right, but don't thank me. [Picks up frying pan and Pascal]
Let's just turn around and get you home. Here's your pan, here's your frog
. [Starts walking her]
I get back my satchel, you get back your mother-daughter relationship based on mutual trust, and voila, we part ways as unlikely friends. Rapunzel: [Stops walking]
No! I am seeing those lanterns. Flynn: Oh come on!
What is it going to take for me to get my satchel back?! Rapunzel: [Holding frying pan to Flynn's face] I will use this.
- Every other thing out of Flynn's mouth.
Flynn: Stay calm. It can probably smell fear. [On a bunny]
Flynn: Is that blood in your mustache? Hey Goldie, look at all the blood in his mustache! Good sir, that is a lot of blood!
And after years and years of asking and asking and asking
finally said yes! note
- Mother Gothel's talk with Rapunzel.
[looking into a mirror with Rapunzel
] I see a strong, confident, beautiful young lady. [beat
] Oh look, you're
- All of Flynn's reactions to Rapunzel's glowing hair: in the water, out of the water, and by the campfire. Especially when he manages to barely suppress a scream and turn it into a high-pitched, borderline panicked set of questions. Comedic gold.
We made it! Flynn:
[completely in shock
] Her hair glows! Rapunzel:
We're alive! We're alive! Flynn:
I didn't see that coming. Rapunzel:
Her hair actually glows! Rapunzel:
Eugene. Flynn: Why does her hair glow!? Rapunzel:
] WHAT!? Rapunzel:
It doesn't just glow. Flynn:
[glances at a smiling Pascal
] Why is he smiling at me?
- Not to mention his reaction to Rapunzel's power a few moments later.
[stops Flynn from screaming
] Please don't freak out! Flynn:
- "So! Hey can I ask you something? Is there any chance that I'm going to get super strength in my hand? Because I'm not gonna lie, that would be stupendous"
- Flynn's completely non-amused face during "I've Got A Dream".
- Something that makes this moment even funnier is that Flynn is breathless in his singing, since he's quite literally forced into it at sword-point!
- Not to mention Flynn had been hung up on a hook before the song... only for one of the thugs to pick him up and take him down for his part of the song.
- When the musical number begins he has the greatest look of "-_-" on his face.
- Once the song really starts going it switches to "Oh fine!"
- During the Hook-handed thug's verse, we start seeing the other pub thugs bounce up and down to the song. Even a couple of rats are bobbing to it, while a bewildered Pascal stares at them. The way he just kind of awkwardly shifts away from them is even better.
- Maximus does not recognize Flynn's face on the poster until he covers the nose.
- Vladimir also notably covers Flynn's nose on the poster with his finger while he asks "Is this you?", as if he's deliberately covering up the part of the sketch that doesn't match the person... And then Flynn's immediate reaction is to move Vladimir's finger to check how they drew his nose, instead of having an Oh, Crap! reaction at getting caught.
- Anything Maximus does. Even the way he moves!
Flynn: ... Yeah, you're right, we should go.
- Max's face screams: you want to talk about this right now?
- Not to mention the reaction Maximus gives just as he is eating the apples Flynn gave him and comments "What? I bought them... most of them."
- The second he says "most of them" Maximus just kinda stops and stares down at the apples until the camera leaves him.
- Even though Maximus doesn't like Flynn, he is apparently a Shipper on Deck, if his mocking grin when Flynn is gawking at Rapunzel is any indication.
- And then he forces Flynn to dance with her when the guy doesn't want to. It is left open, if he does it because he knows it is awkward for Flynn, because Rapunzel (who he likes) likes Flynn or both.
- And the beautiful, beautiful, perfectly delivered sucker-punch (sucker-kick?) he gives Flynn immediately after agreeing to a truce.
- Shortly after, while Rapunzel's distracted by being in a city for the first time, Flynn crumples up one of his wanted posters, Maximus catches him doing it (and after having it shoved in his mouth, spits it back out to plaster right over Flynn's real face), and the whole thing devolves into a childish shoving match. All that was needed was "I'm not touching youuuuuuuu!"
- Then they get distracted by Pascal, who's giving them a look/gesture that clearly says 'Behave you two'. Flynn and Maximus stiffly let go of each other, both with -_- expressions... and they still take the time to get in one last hit on each other, not moving a muscle otherwise.
- The entire sequence of Rapunzel trying to stuff Flynn into her closet. Just... all of it.
- It's even better when you realize there is absolutely no dialogue going on since she hits him with the pan.
- The scene where she stares at him (doing a standing thinker pose, no less) while he's upside down, hands and feet extended like some kind of art nouveau sculpture takes the cake.
- Pascal's hilarious facial expressions throughout the entire Rapunzel-healing-Flynn's-hand moment.
- Rapunzel's very first meeting with Flynn. There's something incredibly funny about the way she first brains him with a frying pan and then, once he's unconscious, squeaks in terror and runs and hides.
- Rapunzel hitting Flynn with the frying pan when he awakens the first time and the scene following it as she tries to get him in the closet.
- Then hiding the satchel from him, and telling him he'll never find it. Flynn looks to the right, then to the left, and says, "It's in that pot, isn't it?"
] ...*CLANG* Rapunzel:
[after Flynn awakens again
it's hidden where you'll never find it!
- A Freeze-Frame Bonus in that immediately after he points to the pot, the scene swamps out to the view of the tower, and snaps to black just as the CLANG is heard.
- Pretty much the whole scene where Rapunzel has Flynn tied up in her hair, and interrogates him:
brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will: fate, destiny... Flynn: [Deadpan] A horse. Rapunzel:
...so I have made the decision to trust you. Flynn:
A horrible decision, really.
- Flynn trying (and failing) to use "the smolder" on Rapunzel. "You broke my smolder..."
- Rapunzel's adorable reaction over her reaction of getting scared over a cute little bunny rabbit.
- "Did I ever tell you I've got a thing for brunettes?" Doubles as a Heartwarming Moment.
- When Rapunzel talks Maximus down and gets him to sit calmly, the camera pans up to reveal that Pascal was intimidating him atop Rapunzel's head.
- Also funny in that scene: Ryder's off-screen "...What?!" when she's successful at calming Maximus down.
- The escape from the Snugly Duckling contributed this gem:
Go. Live out your dream. Flynn:
] Hook-handed Thug:
Your dream stinks. I was talkin' to her
- Rapunzel not understanding Flynn's attempts to charm her out of getting him to commit to her deal. It doesn't work, much to his chagrin.
- Shorty, that drunk midget thug. So funny, he's the last character to appear in the film! He starts hitting on Gothel, while clearly drunk, saying, "Somebody get me a glass, cause I've just found me a tall drink of water!" Though denying the compliment, Gothel clearly acts flattered.
- "I know not who you are, nor how I came to find you, but may I just say... Hi. How you doin'? The name's Flynn Rider. ...how's your day goin'?"
- The fun doubles with Flynn's faces. Specially when he says "Hi". Priceless.
- Tripled with Rapunzel's subtle reactions. She's keeping a determined expression, but it's quite clear she has no idea what he's trying to do.
- Shorty demanding a password from the guards.
Shorty: What's the password?
Shorty: Nope! [shuts hatch]
Captain: OPEN THIS DOOR!!!
Shorty: Not even close!
- Just before entering the Snuggly Duckling, as Flynn convinces Rapunzel to stop there:
like ducklings... Flynn: Yaaay!!
- Flynn's obviously "full of bullshit" dialogue as he's clearly trying to trick Rapunzel is made of hilarity.
- Ulf the mime thug, and the palace guards' bewildered reactions to his performance.
- And his "Oh my!" look to the camera after Vladimir body-checks all of the guards.
- The disturbed looks on the citizen's faces when he performs at the end.
- "And this guy... I assume he's happy. He's never told me otherwise."
- The whole scene where the pub thugs sing "I've Got A Dream". Especially when Flynn tries to resist singing along.
- How Flynn's annoyed and disapproving expressions at the beginning song of the song, gradually turn into expressions of bewilderment and terror as the song nears the end and everyone except him is doing crazy antics. Like "WTF is everybody doing here? Everybody's going crazy." Pascal's facial expressions also indicate scepticism of the scene, but everybody else is just totally letting themselves go, even the pub rats.
- And pretty much everything Flynn says just before.
You smell that? Take a deep breath through the nose. [inhales
] Really let that seep in. What are you getting? Because to me, that's part man-smell, and the other part is really bad man-smell. I don't know why, but overall it just smells like the color brown
. Your thoughts?
- The nonchalant way that Vladimir (the big guy) just hangs Flynn like a coat before hook-hand starts approaching Rapunzel (to start the song).
- Flynn's reaction to one particularly hilarious poster: "Oh, now they're just being mean."
- Bonus points for him saying that when he's just found out by other people as the wanted man. Others would have had an Oh, Crap! reaction at being caught, but he only cared about his portrayal.
- Eugene getting broken out of jail:
Hook-Handed Thug: "Head down."
Eugene: "Head down."
Hook Handed Thug: "Arms in."
Eugene: "Arms in."
Hook Handed Thug: "Knees apart..."
Eugene: "Knees apa-Wait, why do I need to keep my knees ap-[Vladimir lands on the other end of the catapult, vaulting Eugene out of the courtyard]"
- After Flynn goes flying, the thug looks up and watches him with a look of wonder. Blink and you'll miss it.
- In the song "Mother Knows Best", Mother Gothel warns Rapunzel about all of the scary things in the outside world, including men with fangs. After Rapunzel knocks out Flynn, one of the first things she does is check his teeth.
- After Rapunzel knocks Flynn out and ties him to a chair, Pascal climbs onto his shoulder and attempts to wake him up so they can question him... by slapping Flynn in the face with his tail. Then poking him with it. And when that fails? He gives Flynn a "wet willy" with his tongue.
- Happens again moments later, and it gets funnier the second time around.
Flynn: Will you STOP that?!
- One moment in "When Will My Life Begin" at the line where Rapunzel is talking about ballet. She's dancing... then twirls enough that she ties herself up and falls to the floor with a squeal. Basically, a lot of stuff in that song, including Rapunzel practicing ventriloquy... with Pascal, she's made a truckload of candles, and then there's her scaring Pascal with a papier mache mask as well as her standing on a stool, brush and paintboard in hand, staring at the walls of the tower trying to find some place with a free space to paint on, the accompanying line in the song being "I'm sure there's room somewhere!".
- After stuffing Flynn in her own closet:
Rapunzel: I've got a person in my closet! Too weak to handle myself, huh mother? (chuckles and twirls her frying pan) Tell that to my frying pa- (accidentally whacks herself in the head with it)
- Pascal's blowing a raspberry after Rapunzel says they can't go outside at the beginning.
- A blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment. When the royal guard has chased Flynn and Rapunzel into a dam, which then breaks, sending water everywhere. As the wave is about to hit them, the guards all look ready to void themselves, but Maximus is staring it down with a look that just screams, "Bring it on, Bitch!"
- Not long after the above, just after Flynn and Rapunzel escape the cave-in and flood:
Flynn: (Referring to Pascal) Why is he smiling at me?
- Everybody who's been after Flynn suddenly shows up at the same time. Rapunzel is not up to speed...
[The Stabbington Brothers show up]
Rapunzel: Who is that?
Flynn: They don't like me.
[The palace guards show up]
Rapunzel: Who is that?
Flynn: They don't like me either.
[Maximus shows up]
Rapunzel: Who is that!?
Flynn: Let's just assume for the moment that everyone in here doesn't like me.
- Pascal and Flynn's expressions during the "I've Got A Dream" song.
- The four little sisters when Flynn shows them the sheer bounty of Rapunzel's hair, just waiting to be plaited. Their expressions of joy are identical.
- Then there's Max's grinning at Flynn as he's checking out Rapunzel's newly plaited hair. And the very embarrassed look on Flynn's face when he shoves him away.
- Flynn waking up to find a very pissed off Maximus staring down at him.
Flynn: [smugly] Well, I hope you're here to apologize.
- "And Vladimir collects ceramic unicorns" (big guy Vladimir clinks the ceramic unicorns together and cracks a grin)
- In the bar fight when the hoodlums are trying to capture Flynn so they can claim the reward, and Rapunzel's trying to stop them. At one point she yells "Ruffians!" like that's their job description or something.
- After Rapunzel has shoved Flynn in her closet and Gothel has returned:
Gothel: I've got a big surprise!
Rapunzel: [nervously] Um, I do too!
Gothel: Ooh, I bet my surprise is bigger!
Rapunzel: [to herself] I seriously doubt it...
- Eugene stealing Rapunzel's crown the moment the top of her head goes off the edge of the screen, as well as their playful fight after it.
- Rapunzel lassoes Flynn with her hair and swings him across the canyon to get him away from Maximus and the Stabbingtons. He tries to get one last quip in:
"You guys should see your faces, because you look -" [slams stomach-first into a jutting post and folds up around it, wheezing] "- ridic-ulous..."
- "Frying pans! Who knew, right?" It Makes Sense in Context
- Rapunzel tries many ways of guessing what the crown is for, Pascal shaking his head at each try. When she puts it on her head, Pascal stares at her as if to say something exciting... before shaking his head a third time.
- Do you like to cook? Do you like self-defense? Do you need a new device that can achieve both?
Rapunzel: [from Snuggly Duckling sequence] I've been dreaming about them my entire life!
- Do we have the product for you!
- It's the new Ultimate Frying Pan. This searing, conking, smacking masterpiece is twelve inches of awesome!
[various characters turning their heads, reacting to something]
Gothel: And that wasn't even the best part!
Stabbington Brother: What's the best part?
- Take it from me. You've seen normal cooking devices, but this bad boy is better. Than. Ever.
[montage of people using frying pans to knock others out]
Flynn: Frying pans! Who knew, right?
- Pans are going fast, so call now.