Funny: Super Mario Bros.
aka: Super Mario Galaxy
In addition to fun gameplay, Mario has a great deal of humor. Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG and all three cartoons have their own pages.
From the games
- From Super Mario Galaxy 2:
Bowser: "My Powers... gone... My Empire... shrinking... My huge cake... never got a slice..."
- Mario's reaction using his first Launch Star of the game.
- Super Mario Sunshine has this:
Toad: "The princess is on that island! I think it's called 'Pineapple' or something... How do you think you can get there?"
- Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga's character Fawful, a walking, talking parody of Blind Idiot Translations:
Fawful: I am the great Cackletta's most best pupil, who is called Fawful. I am here, laughing at you. If you are giving us the chase, then you are idiots of foolishness!...
Fawful: "Hah! Now taste the finale, when carelessness opens the door to a comeback not expected by you! Your lives that I spit on are now but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid! You shall all fall and vanish with your precious Beanbean Kingdom as I laugh heartily at you!"Peasley: *slashes Fawful* "HAH! In the finale of the finale, when negligence begets rashness, the comeback is comeback-upon!"Fawful: *shocks Peasley* "I HAVE FURY!! In the last moments of the finale of the finale, when relief leads to negligence that begets rashness... That is when the comeback that faltered comes back and beats your pathetic comeback that I scoff at!"
- One of the funniest scenes in Superstar Saga was his "comeback speech" with Peasley:
Fawful: Fawfully-doo!♪ Where are you?! ♪Dark Star, needing you!♪
- Also "Your demise will be Cackletta's Bread! And this battle will be the mustard on that bread! The mustard of your DOOM!
- He's the Big Bad in Bowser's Inside Story. Seeing him singing the Scooby Doo theme while he's looking for the Dark Star is simply priceless, but he has dozens of hilarious moments. "I HAVE SUCTION" is the best line any evil villain will ever say before draining the evil power from an Artifact of Doom.
Bowser: ... Doh.
- His calling Bowser "the king of stupid" — though Bowser certainly does make some incredibly stupid decisions throughout most of the game...
- Bowser himself gets one where he gets hit by a train and crashed through several boulders. Through sheer brute strength, he very nearly stops the thing... Until he trips over a pebble. The last thing he says before he gets crushed?
- The scene where the Mario Bros. fix Bowser's back qualifies. Toadsworth invites Toadbert to have a cup of tea as the impulse triggered by the Bros. is going to work its slooooow magic. After they constantly rub it in the player's face, the message "Why not put the DS system down and take a short tea break?" pops up and the player is supposed to simply wait until the alarm rings. Unless they have a code.
- You've also got the mind-controlled Hammer Bros. in Partners In Time, which speak in leet.
WE R TEH SHROOB ALLIES. WE ROXOR U AND THEN ROFL. THEN U AM CRY.
Hammer Bro: Who talks like that!?
- After you beat them...
- Yoshi's Island: You're heading towards the boss of World 3, the Naval Piranha Plant. You get into the room, close enough to hop up on the ledge, and you can even see the little bugger that'll get transformed... but the cutscene hasn't cued up yet. Well, maybe you'll just take a quick cheap-shot with an egg for laughs...
Kamek: OH MY!!Piranha Plant: ***EXPLODES***
- Not to mention the look on Yoshi's face before Prince Froggy eats him and after shitting him out of his stomach. Yoshi goes from "O_o" to ":3" in seconds flat!
- In the later Mario Party titles, games played in 2-on-2 Team Mode started getting "team names" handed to them depending on which characters were in the team. While some of them were predictable for obvious character combinations (like Luigi and Yoshi being called "Green Machines"), sticking together any really weird combination of characters results in weird and often hilarious team names:
- Daisy and Waluigi: Awkward Date
- Wario and Toadette: Secret Friends
- Birdo and Blooper: What The Bloop
- A lot of teams with Dry Bones qualify. Teaming with Mario makes BBQ Ribs, Luigi makes Cry Bones, Wario or Waluigi leads to bonehead/numbskull comments, and Daisy leads to the darkly apt Daisy Pushers.
- Then there's Dry Bones and Hammer Brother: What-The-Deuce.
- Mario Power Tennis gives us these bloopers. One particular gem involves Wario lifting weights... only to get a phone call from his mother.
- Wario: Ma! I told you not to call me here!
- The GBA version, Mario Tennis: Power Tour gives us this gem.
- There's some in the actual intro as well, such as the Mario Bros. watching Bowser's Bob-Omb-packed vehicle descend towards the ground.
Luigi: "Oh, this looks bad..."
- In Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, when Waluigi gets an eagle or better, he does a dance routine that ends with a lengthy spin followed by a pose where he holds the brim of his hat and points at the camera with an audible sound effect. After a beat, he realizes he's pointing in the wrong direction.
Bowser: NO! Remember your blood sugar Bowser. Ok, now go wash your hands...
- He does it again in Mario Super Sluggers. Most character introductions show them boasting or preparing to hit the ball. Waluigi enters, shouting WAAAAAALUIGI and preparing to hit the ball, only to realize he is facing the player. He makes a "i meant to do that" gesture to the player and switches to the right side.
- In Superstars Baseball, Boswer gets a platinum one when you decide to not face Mario in Bowser mode at the final boss battle.
- When you unlock the last row of tours in Fortune Street, the first area is Alefgard from the first Dragon Quest, which reintroduces the Dragonlord and his Large Ham/Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe/Rhymes on a Dime villainous speeches. Unfortunately, they still pale before the interactions between the other two computer characters: Chivalrous Pervert Angelo and Abhorrent Admirer Birdo. They go as well as expected.
Waluigi: Argh! That stupid sun is blinding me! Think you can outshine the great Waluigi?
- Bowser, when chosen as an opponent on the Super Mario Bros. stage, complains about how he'll never get that music out of his head now.
- One of Waluigi´s lines comes when he is in Delfino Plaza. Waluigi, being Waluigi, declares this:
Waluigi: Drat! That big dumb statue is stealing all my thunder!
- While it may be pure coincidence, during another one of Waluigi´s lines, he ends up referencing another purple villain with a mustache who looks just like him...
- In the Boss Battle minigame "Bombard King Bob-omb" in Mario Party 9, players must choose one of four bombs to throw at King Bob-omb. The hilarity is if that more than one player chooses the same bomb, they'll bonk into each other as they're running toward the bomb they chose.
- In Super Mario Bros. 3 if you complete a level as Tanooki Mario, the Toad next to the restored King says "Thank you, kind raccoon. Please tell me your name." As if the exposed face of a mustached Italian man wasn't enough of a hint as to who you are.
- If you finish any of the Koopalings in a suit (Frog, Hammer, Tanooki) the restored King will have a different dialog depending on the suit, such as thinking that Mario's become the next victim of transformation.
- A Toad near "Dire Dire Docks" in Super Mario 64 gives us this gem.note
Toad: Being imprisoned in these walls can drive a fungus crazy. When I really start to freak out, I think to myself, "Well, I'm going to be here for a while, so I might as well stare at the fish. They are oddly hypnotic." Then I actually start to like being captured............Aaaguugh! IT'S MADNESS! I've got to snap out of this! You have to free us before we're all completely brainwashed! ...But for now, why don't you gaze at the fish with me. You look tense. Come relax.
- During the end credits of Super Mario 3D World, Bowser gets his just desserts by being trapped in a bottle, helplessly tapping against the glass.
- What Tuxie says in Super Mario 64 DS when Yoshi puts her in his mouth.
Tuxie: Ayiiieee! Please don't eat me. I promise that I don't taste good. Plus, I'll give you cavities.
- Similarly, when Yoshi eats a rabbit he's already captured.
Rabbit: What part of "I'm not your lunch" do you not understand? I already gave you the key! Put me down! (rabbit is spat out) I'm not chow. How many many times do I have to tell you that? I know I'm irresistibly cute, but try to restrain yourself!
- The intro to the DS version adds Wario and Luigi go along with Mario. The three can't even make it into the castle without doing something silly. Luigi jumps on Wario, who growls angrily and fails at punching him. Then Mario comes back to check on them but crashes into Luigi. Hilariously, it makes Wario look like the voice of reason when he points in the castle direction. Oh, and Yoshi's asleep on the roof.
- The Gearmos in Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel. Special mention goes to the one at the end of the first game's Battlerock Galaxy's purple coin mission, particularly if you get absolutely ZERO purple coins:
Gearmo: You got zero. ZERO PURPLE COINS! Tell me you're doing that on purpose! This old iron lady isn't amused.
Gearmo: You destroyed the weight! So you just go around breaking stuff, eh?! You think that's OK? Breaking stuff?
- Then it says "See you later!", and the player dies for no reason.
- Similarly, there's also one in the Buoy Base Galaxy that gets mad when you break the floating fortress' weight:
Gearmo: BRING IT ON! Gimme your worst!
- There's also the Gearmo from the Chompworks Galaxy second mission (Spring into the Chompworks) in the second game, who is repeatedly hit by rolling Chomps:
- Playing as Luigi in the New Game+ gives a few gems:
Found!Luigi: I thought I was going to go crazy in there! Thanks for the rescue, me!"
- During the Mario playthrough, you can find Luigi and rescue him in various places. The only adjustment the New Game + makes however is that the "found" Luigi refers to the player Luigi as "me". Because of this, there's a hilarious exchange in the Battlerock Galaxy:
Mail!Toad: Huh? It's addressed to Mario... Don't be upset Luigi, hang in there!"
- Luigi will also receive letters from Princess Peach the same as Mario did, only they aren't changed at all. This doesn't go un-noticed by the mailman Toad:
From the movie
- Iggy and Spike's stupidity.
Spike: We were wrong again. How many times have we got this wrong?
Iggy: You've gotten it wrong five times.
Spike: 0 for five. 0 for five. What percent is that?
Iggy: I dunno. Let me think.
Iggy: I dunno. But it's not good.
Spike: I'm gonna get the girl.
- Later, they mistake Daniella for Daisy.
Iggy: That's not the girl.
Spike: Yeah it is, she's wearing a disguise. I could spot her a mile away.
Iggy: Of course she's wearing a disguise. She thinks she can fool us.
- Gotta love the Troopas dancing to that elevator music.
- It's even funnier when their commander catches them at it.
- Later, Toad is able to distract them by playing the same song on his harmonica.
- There's also this brief scene where Koopa is ordering some pizza for delivery. It isn't funny at first, but when he's confronting the Mario Bros. at the climax...
Walky-Talky: "Sir, your pizza is here!"Koopa: "Not now."
- Mario and Luigi having their mugshots taken.
Mario: Are we dead?
- Hopper's deadpan delivery as he spins a globe of the alternate dimension, showing that aside from Dinohattan, it's all a giant wasteland. No wonder he wants to break into the human world.
"Ruler of all that you see. A few miserable streets, and... an endless desert."
- Koopa has Iggy and Spike put into the Devo Chamber to evolve them and make them smarter... and when they pop out of it looking exactly the same, his stare of utter confusion is priceless. The rest of the scene is pretty good as the two suddenly demonstrate their new intelligence by indulging in Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness.
Koopa: Both of you, go to the desert!
Iggy: Excuse me, excuse me. That hardly seems logical, does it? Perhaps we should stay here and formulate our own strategy. Tete-tete, inner circle, that sort of thing.
King Koopa: Here's what's logical to me — If you do not return with the plumbers and the rock... I shall personally, kill you.
Iggy: We're going.
Spike: After you.
- Mario and Luigi are hopelessly lost in the Koopahari Desert and they argue along the way.
Mario: You said the tunnel.
Luigi: I did not, I said parkway!
Mario: But you meant the tunnel! Go on, pick a direction! Any direction you like!
Luigi: (hits Mario's head) Na na na na na!
Mario: Hey, that looks good over there! (pointing at quicksand) That's it, let's die there!
- This dialogue, while Mario and Luigi are hopelessly lost in Dinohattan.
Luigi: Excuse me, miss. Can you tell me where I am?
Woman: Yeah, you're in my way! (pushed them away) Egg-suckers!
Mario: Who are these people?!
- Daniella shouting "Hey, Mario!" as he's attempting to break the girls out silently.
- Koopa calling himself "an egg-sucking son of a snake". You gotta wonder if that's seriously what he thinks of himself.
- For a time, Gamestop did a publicity stunt where it called customers and left messages of Charles Martinet doing his Mario voice, plugging the release of a new Mario game. Here is just one example.