Funny: Super Dangan Ronpa 2
All spoilers below are unmarked.
open/close all folders
- At the end of Fuyuhiko's introduction:
Fuyuhiko: Hey, bastards... If we're all done here, how 'bout you dumbasses make like a tree and fuck off?
- The conversation that results from Fatogami's attempts at unifying the group.
Fatogami: If you want me to get to the point, you better hurry up and answer my question.
Akane: What do we need? We need food and sleep, obviously. Right?
Nekomaru: No...you've forgotten about shitting... Which means the answers are: a good appetite, a good night's sleep, and a good shit!!!
Fatogami: ...Does anyone have a real answer?
- Byakuya nobly takes it upon himself to test the food in the restaurant for poison... though his sample size is rather large. Then he nobly pounces on the churrasco at the party to protect them all from the skewers.
- During the trial, Nagito reveals his intentions, leading to this gem:
Ibuki: Holy crap! He's *totally* the type of guy who spent his childhood killing neighborhood pets!
He seems like the sort of person whose eyes light up while watching "Friday the 13th"... Just like me
- Ibuki tries to figure out what happened during the blackout, only to spout off a complete non sequitur:
Ibuki: Ah! If you cross your eyes like this, it gives you doublevision!
- Ibuki provides sound effects!
Ibuki: The killer lurked under the floorboards during the party and from there..."stab stab stab!"
Teruteru: Hmm, are you sure?
- One more for the count:
Akane: So what's an "aspersion" anyway? Is it yummy?
Hiyoko: Did you know asbestos is yummy, too? You should try some later!
- Towards the beginning of the trial, when everyone was trying to argue whether Peko has an alibi or not, all arguments ultimately shift towards what Peko was doing outside the dining hall. It's obviously her taking a shit, but she's completely embarrassed when the thing is implied... and Nekomaru outright says so anyway.
Nekomaru: GAH-HAHAHAHA! Aw, there's no way she'd admit it! There's no way she'd admit she was taking a shit!
Mahiru: Hey, weren't you guys taught any basic manners!? Or were you raised in a locker room!?
- After Peko tries to shift the discussion away from her taking a shit:
- And then there's Teruteru being his usual perverted self:
Teruteru: Hey, how did it feel to do your business in the dark? Did you get... excited?
Hajime: Seriously. Stop it.
- Teruteru's breakdown at the end of the trial; he devolves into completely unintelligible rural gibberish which somehow ends with him screaming "AVRIL LAVIGNE!". As the cherry on top, Monomi - who has been translating for the other students - dutifully parrots this last line even though everyone could hear it. To put this one in context, Avril Lavigne is a popular Canadian singer-songwriter. She has absolutely nothing to do with Teruteru's profession; her name is just dropped out of nowhere to show how crazy Teruteru has become.
- In the P.T.A., one of the statements you have to shoot down is "PARIS HILTON!"
- It's also funny to see Peko near him, locked in a sprite with her mouth wide open while gesturing, which lasts for the duration of his Villainous Breakdown. Considering her tendency to be The Stoic, it seems that even Peko is rendered speechless by the culprit's breakdown.
- Teruteru's breakdown is further punctuated in the official English version by Todd Haberkorn providing a thick Cajun accent. It has to be heard to be believed.
- After the end of the chapter, Nagito goes on this really hokey spiel about hope after having led Teruteru and Byakuya to their deaths. Akane offers to punch him, but Hajime tells her to lay off and ignore him. Not a minute later, and...
Nagito: You don't even remember your own talent...
Hajime: ...Akane, go ahead and punch him.
- The tradition of silly multiple-choice options continues.
Hajime: Nagito's talent...? His talent was...
Ultimate Lucky Student / Ultimate Unlucky Student / Ultimate Transporter / Ultimate Babyface
- If you choose the last one, several students will stare with a blank expression before Fuyuhiko yells "Why the hell are you looking at me!? Do you wanna sleep with the motherfucking fishes!?"
- Akane crying over food at the party.
- In the English version, when Peko is suspected of killing Byakuya, Ibuki suggests a motive.
Ibuki: Was this island not big enough for two glasses-wearers?
- Midway through the trial, Monokuma offers an extremely large sum of money ($10 billion in the official translation) if you guess the killer, and threatens to delete your save game if you fail. He then asks if you're willing to accept the challenge, and both buttons lead to the same response telling you he was just kidding.
- When discussing why Byakuya dove under the table, Akane makes a hilariously inaccurate guess.
Akane: Obviously he was hidin' so he could surprise us. That dude was always a big jokester.
Kazuichi: The hell he was! You seriously couldn't tell what kinda person he was!?
- Ibuki's response to Hiyoko spontaneously hugging Mahiru.
- Monokuma's super-muscular transformation◊.
- Nagito monologuing at the beginning, only to be interrupted by someone shouting "SHUT UUUUUUUUUP!!" and a crashing sound. Turns out it was either Kazuichi or Nekomaru, who then proceed to tie him and lock him away. Their attempt to deny any involvement with it is abysmal.
- Kazuichi gets himself and Hajime invited to the girls' beach party hoping to see Sonia in a bikini. Cue Sonia showing up in a wetsuit.
- When Peko shows up, Ibuki seems jealous of her body and takes her bust size as a challenge.
Ibuki: Time to pump these puppies full of silicon.
- Gundam, true to form, offers a line that's both magnificent and hysterical:
Gundam: Monokuma. I shall listen to you spout nonsense all you want, while I puff cigar smoke at your lifeless body.
- This line from Orenronen's translation:
Souda: When life gives you lemons, you make limoncello!
- During the trial, when they're discussing who's who in Twilight Syndrome.
Mikan: Wh-Why am I in a video game? Th-That's an infringement of my right to privacy!
Hiyoko: Ha! A nasty, trashy, pigshit like you doesn't have any privacy rights!
Hajime: Girl B was short and foulmouthed... She's probably Hiyoko.
- After one of Nagito's... outbursts:
Akane: We can just lightly punch him to death later.
- Peko's "Sparkling Justice" speech, complete with fancy emoticons! It wouldn't be practical to transcribe it in its entirety here, though...
- The bonus Big Lipped Alligator Moment in which Hajime descends into a nut-induced frenzy.
- One that's fairly easy to miss: When Monokuma calls the students over to Jabberwock Park to reveal Twilight Syndrome Murder Mystery, he promises to treat the first person who arrives to curry. Unsurprisingly, Akane rushes over there before anyone else. If you choose to spend the next Free Time session with her, she'll be eating it. Apparently it was made from live frogs. She doesn't seem to mind, and considers going for seconds, which Hajime can eat with her.
- The group's general reaction to Ibuki Mioda's singing performance.
Gundam: S-Such an overwhelmingly baleful resonance! Even my Four Dark Devas of Destruction look less lively than usual!
Sonia: I-I too...am starting to feel chills...!
Mikan: With a title like "From Me to You", I thought it was going to be a sweet love song!
Hajime: I-If I recall...the reason why Ibuki left the high school girl's band was...
Hajime: That...must be why.
Hiyoko: Yahooooo! It's awesome! That's the first time I've heard such a famous song! :D
- The best part is Kazuichi's face specifically (since he's more shocked now than his expression of seeing his friends being executed/murdered.) and/or the fact that Hiyoko is the only one who enjoys it.
- There's also the next part of Ibuki's performance:
Ibuki: Grab a partner and slow dance to..."I Squeezed Out the Baby But I Have No Idea Who the Father Is."
- What's more hilarious (if you really hate Nagito) is even Nagito sounds like he's going to drop dead once he hears Ibuki's going to sing another song.
- Later, once Nagito is hospitalized with the Despair Disease, he starts babbling about twin Ibukis and, bizarrely enough, The Veronicas.
Hajime: Hmmm...after seeing this, it might've been better if he stayed quiet for just a little bit longer.
- Speaking of the hospital, Mikan falls asleep in Hajime's bed (complete with CG of Mikan clinging to Hajime...and Hajime's Idiot Hair going perfectly straight). Fuyuhiko later catches them in bed together. Hajime insists it's not what it looks like.
Hajime: That doesn't mean you can climb on top of me!
Mikan: Then...I'll be on the bottom next time!
Hajime: ...That's seriously *not* what I'm talking about!
Fuyuhiko: W-Were you guys sleeping together? Y-You dirty rotten bastard! You guys are fuckin' high school students!
- Another example of Orenronen's Deadpan Snarker Hajime shows up when Kazuichi speculates on Akane and Nekomaru's "illicit relationship":
Hinata: An illicit relationship? What are you, forty?
- The entirety of the "Wizard of Monomi" movie, which is Stylistic Suck in its finest form. From the film being shot in "2.5 D" (to say nothing of the very crude animation style), to the Monokuma in the film being an Author Avatar Jerk Sue who cons old people and kills various Wizard of Oz characters with Monomi's likeness, to a vague description of how he killed the "Wizard" (Monomi again), Hajime is rendered speechless at the end, as Monokuma fishes for compliments.
Hajime: I'm too disgusted to even let out a sigh right now... That's all I can say to describe this situation...
- Earlier, Nagito was so utterly disgusted after being required to see the movie that he wished he'd chosen like Hajime and bought an obscenely expensive souvenir to get out of watching. He changes his mind after seeing the souvenir—a super-cheap sticker—and looks absolutely horrified that Hajime paid so much for it. Keep in mind that Hajime didn't actually pay anything but an IOU, since he didn't have any money on the island. Hilarious in Hindsight considering that with his large inheritance and lottery winnings, Nagito likely could have legitimately shelled out that obscene amount
- In the middle of the trial, Akane complains about how all of the killers are getting their supplies from the same place:
Akane: Again with the supermarket... That place is a hot spot for criminal goods.
- The natural result of Ibuki getting a Despair Disease that causes her to believe everything she's told, while Nagito gets a disease that causes him to constantly lie.
Nagito: Be careful Ibuki! Hajime's dangerous. He wants to kill you and eat you.
Hajime: Wh-What are you saying!?
Ibuki: Mr. Hajime! I am not tasty! Please do not eat me!
Hajime: He's obviously lying!
Ibuki: I see! So it was a lie!
- Ibuki, while suffering from the Despair Disease, when she's asked if she can walk.
Ibuki: Allow me to confirm! I just have to alternate the movements of my left and right leg, correct!?
- Even if Akane is a Big Eater, she apparently isn't a Paste Eater, as she actually expresses amazement at Chiaki tasting the glue.
- Akane gets called out for having an empty head. She has this to say:
Akane: Listen up! The emptier your head, the more dreams you can stuff inside it, y'know!
Beat with silence, with Hajime showing a disturbed smile look
- When the group is discussing whether Ibuki's "suicide" video was filmed at the music venue, in the conference room or somewhere else, Akane remarks, "Hajime, you're pretty stupid!" Several others chime in with white noise agreeing or disagreeing with the suggestion, as well as pointing out that Akane is not one to talk, and "you're pretty stupid" is even a weak point that you can try to disprove.
- The roller coaster ride. Kazuichi pretty much had to be forced onto the coaster by the rest of the group, and his and Gundam's expressions during the ride are priceless.
- Sonia's reaction to Mechamaru.
- Kazuichi's reaction is pretty hilarious as well. He's a little too enthusiastic when he asks Nakomaru if he could take him apart so he could study him. And both times when Nekomaru claims he has a new ability, Kazuichi's first question is "Is it flying?"
- Mechmaru's ability to create beverages from his eyes. And his enthusiasm in offering Hajime a drink.
- Similarly, his sorrow at his inability to poop, manifested largely in staring forlornly at the men's room.
- Gundam calling Sonia a virgin, and Sonia revealing she isn't. And the fact that she's only disappointed because it means she can't go to an amusement park in Hell with Gundam.
- Better yet, the context is that Gundam requires the blood of a virgin for a satanic ritual. Virgin's blood can both refer to the blood of someone who has never had sex or the blood of someone whose blood has never been used in a satanic ritual before. Sonia simply says that her blood would not meet the requirements.
- Sonia, who hasn't eaten due to Monokuma's sick game of locking them in a tower without food unless someone is murdered starts seeing her friends' faces as cake and even asks, as politely as always, if she could eat a part of them.
Sonia: My goodness, Hajime...when did your face become Mont Blanc all of a sudden? Um...just the corner is fine, so...may I take a bite out of you?
Sonia: Oh my, now there's an adorable shortcake.
Chiaki: I'm not a shortcake... I'm Chiaki.
Sonia: Oh my, Hajime...Upon closer inspection, your face looks like a Sachertorte! Might I trouble you for a bite near the center? I shall repay the favor later!
Hajime: Sonia, get a grip on yourself....
- The gang splits up several times to explore the new island; each time, Souda declares that he'll be going with Sonia, only for someone else to inform him that she already left with Gundam.
- "What am I doing? ...Playing Russian Roulette, obviously."
- At the start of the trial, Souda is led to believe that Hajime, Sonia, and Chiaki were up to...unsavory things prior to finding Nekomaru. Sonia shoots him down in her own way:
- After Souda predictably backpedals, Akane chimes in:
- Also the very first conversation of the trial was Akane solemnly swearing that she will find the killer and avenge Nekomaru... And totally not for the curry that Monokuma was treating with post-trial, while drooling the hell out.
- At one point during the class trial, Gundam starts an argument to refute an earlier conclusion (as only Gundam could) and Sonia enthusiastically helps him out. One of the white noises flying by as they go back and forth:
When did they become a comedy duo?
- In the english dub, Usami has a voice sample of her saying "Yippee ki yay." Let that sink in for a moment. Observe.
- The group is debating whether or not Nagito would have died instantaneously from his spear wound:
Kazuichi: ...I'm sorry...I didn't catch all that...
Sonia: Like I said, if you got penetrated by something so big and thick, you would die instantly!
Kazuichi (blushing): Ah, say it one more time...I need to record it...for reasons...
- Hajime finds the helicopter that was used in Teruteru's execution. So what does he do? He tries punching the "piece of shit" which (obviously) only ends up hurting himself instead. Seems like Akane's violent habits have started rubbing off on him.
- Akane proposes that she drive Nagito's explosive-laden truck into the sea in hopes of stopping the detonation. Fuyuhiko exclaims that she can't, because... she doesn't have a driver's license!
- When the group is discussing how the victim could have done certain things while his hands were tied, Akane repeatedly suggests that the victim used his penis (or rather, his "front tail").
- After Hajime makes a point about how the victim's right arm wasn't actually tied, Akane offers to let him touch her boobs in return, leading to the following:
Sonia: Akane! You should not give it away for free! Make sure they pay you first!
Fuyuhiko: That's definitely wrong!
Akane: Fine... I just gotta get a Benjamin from him before I let him touch me, right?
Fuyuhiko: That's not what I meant! I was talking about Nagito!
- Soon after, when Hajime's point appears to be in doubt, Akane demands a refund for the "down payment," and Hajime wonders how he can return something she never gave him.
Akane: Hajime...y-you tricked me! Gimme back that Benjamin!
Hajime: N-Not only did she try to charge me...now she wants the money back...what the heck?
- When Akane challenges Hajime to prove his point:
Akane: If it's somethin' lame, I'll make you give back the Benjamin with 10,000 percent interest!
- While the circumstances of the P.T.A. are anything but funny, it's amusing to see some of Monomi's insults.
Monomi: Hajime, you stupidface!
Monomi: I'll lower your grades!
Monomi: Let's all get along...
- The morning after the first day of the bomb search, Akane begins to choke Nagito, almost killing him. Chiaki stops her and gets her to calm down. And then Nagito breaks the moment.
Nagito: Thanks, Akane. I haven't seen my dog since he died. It was nice to be able to see him again.
- Right before Nagito's body is found, we learn that Fuyuhiko doesn't like Nagito's taste in music.
Fuyuhiko: Yeah, it's really damn loud... Does Nagito like listening to this depressing crap?
- Chiaki's sentencing is a Player Punch. Chiaki's execution is a constant Mood Whiplash between horror... and comedy. The 8-bit sounds and effects, the giant Pac Man, the multi-line tetris clear... Monokuma pulled out all the stops.
Game Over Screen: You too, Monomi!
- What would have been left behind if Nagito brought poison to the warehouse? One of the options is "the meat on the bone," referring back to Chapter 1's (somewhat infamous) Panic Talk Action.
- Akane is quick to start drooling about eating it all... before getting angry about how that's over and done with already.
- "If this is a game... are my words being displayed in a text window right now?!", says Kazuichi... which is, obviously, displayed in a text window. That's probably the hardest the 4th Wall has ever been leaned on.
- "Cuz it's a game!"
Kazuichi: A lot of crazy shit happened...
Monokuma: Cuz it's a game!
Akane: We're the only people here...
Monokuma: Cuz it's a game!
Sonia: Monokuma's nonsensical abilities...
Monokuma: (enraged sprite) Cuz it's a game!
- After Sonia explains Your Mind Makes It Real citing the case of a prisoner who died because he thought he was being bled to death, Souda gushes about her expert knowledge of state-sanctioned torture.
- During the final trial the original Byakuya shows up. He remarks that Junko is a lot bigger than he remembers. AI Junko tries to come on to him, saying that there are a lot of kinky things he can do with a big girl like her. Byakuya is not amused.
Byakuya: Shut up.
- When it's finally time for the mastermind to reveal their true identity, Monokuma starts Lampshading One-Winged Angel tropes before transforming. Their first lines afterwards are a whole bunch of Lampshade Hanging of other videogame cliches, from action to bishojo games.
- Sonia blurts out that she did a lot of "disgraceful" things in front of the surveillance cameras. Byakuya's laconic reply: "You...sure did."
Sonia: I will never be queen now! Please forget what you saw!
- When Hajime ponders what will happen to him and the other survivors when the shutdown occurs and the Graduation Program doesn't complete, one of the multiple-choice options is... "Lose Monocoins."
Hajime: If we go back to our original selves before we entered the program, then I'll lose all my Monocoins......Wait,
who cares about that!? That's not what this is about!
- In the epilogue, Kyoko makes a subtle reference about how "there's someone waiting for (Byakuya) to return." Byakuya groans, "...Don't make me remember something so horrifying." It's fairly clear that she's talking about Toko/Genocider.
Free Time Events
- "Fat Byakuya"'s Free Time events, in which Byakuya talks in perfect seriousness about body mass indexes or deciding which meat is better than the other, and mulls over the possible conspiracy behind a spurious German proverb about chicken and beef neglecting to mention pork.
- In Nagito's first Free Time event, he tries to help Hajime figure out his talent by suggesting some, which include Ultimate Serenity, Clumsy Student, Scatterbrain, and Spiky Hair.
- In Sonia's final Free Time event, she explains how Hajime matches the description of a legendary hero of Novoselic:
You wear a white shirt just like the legend says, and your hair looks like an antenna
! And your face... is completely unremarkable!
- In Teruteru's first Free Time event, he makes an analogy of what cooking reminds him of, with intertwined meats and flowing juices, among other things. Your choices are "Pro Wrestling," "Sumo Wrestling, and "...", with the correct choice being the last one. Hajime knows what Teruteru has in mind, but is too disgusted to say it out loud.
- If you spend a Free Time event with him in Island Mode, it leads to this exchange:
Teruteru: Mmhmhm... Are you interested in me? Then how about we learn about each other first? If you'd like, we can get to know each other with our bodies. Why don't you come to my cottage!?
Hajime: I declined Teruteru's offer with all my might, and we chatted over tea at the restaurant instead.
- Apparently Gundam Goes Commando. No, really. It's a case of The Emperor's Favorite Underwear.
- Kazuichi's "Shot Though the Heart" event has him consider confessing something to Hajime, but is afraid he'll make fun of him for it because he thinks it's 'too abnormal'. If you tell him that you understand him completely, he'll explain:
: I... I think I'm in love with... tanks.
Ever since I came to this island and saw one up close for the first time, I just haven't felt the same... Looking at it makes me feel all tingly... It's like I wanna disassemble it and learn all its secrets... (Suddenly very enthusiastic)
Do you have a minute? I wanna keep talking about it but that's okay, right!?
Hajime: And so, I was forced to listen to Kazuichi talk endlessly about his strange love for tanks... It looks like he had a really good time.
- Sometimes when visiting the military base with him you can ask if he wants to ride the tank, which leads to a similar response.
Kazuichi: The tank, huh. It's soooo amazing, isn't it? Man it's sweet. It's huge, it's bulky, and I dunno how to say this, but I kinda want to pet it.
- During Peko's "Shot Though the Heart" event, there's one of the more outlandish wrong choices.
Peko's Thoughts: Maybe Hajime is... a hitman...?
Hajime: I AGREE WITH THAT! That's right... to tell you the truth, that's why I'm here.
Peko: I see... (fighting pose) Then I must eliminate you right now.
Hajime: I-I'm just kidding! It was just a little joke!
- And her best involves telling her you really are waiting her to let down her guard... just so you can tickle her.
- The best choice for Gundam's Shot Through the Heart, meanwhile, is agreeing with his speculation that Hajime means to rule the island.
- On a trip to the movies Byakuya declares that despite their benefits in drawing customers back to theaters and so on, he will never accept the advent of 3D because he looks silly wearing glasses on top of his glasses.
- On a trip to the library sometimes you are given an option to offer to start setting the books on fire. If that wasn't enough some of the students more positive reactions to can also be amusing: