- The use of "Doo Wah Diddy" as a jody call. Only funnier because it's Truth in Television in the modern US military, though less common than more traditional jodies.
- The magazine covers highlighting how each of the main characters cashed in on their fame after the exciting rescue:
- Sgt. Hulka retires to open a chain of Hulkaburger restaurants.
- Louise makes the cover of a car-review magazine to review the effectiveness of Winnebago warfare.
- Stella poses for Penthouse.
- Ziskey makes the cover of Guns And Ammo saying thus about the Ruskies: "They're pussies!"
- Ox: teen magazine Tiger Beat offers a "Win a Date With Ox!" contest.
- Winger makes the cover of a TIME expy newsmagazine posing as the face of the modern U.S. army. With the implication that America may be doomed because of it.
- And Stillman gets reassigned to a tiny base in the middle of frozen nowhere as punishment for his incompetence. What makes this one particularly funny is that the article makes his fate sound like a good thing.
- Louise and Stella catching Ziskey's fight with Winger, who is trying to desert. Ziskey's mortified "This isn't what it looks like!" sells it - and so does Winger's answer:
Winger: We're just good friends.
- The "Aunt Jemima" treatment.
- Stillman playing with his army action figures in his office.
- The eye roll the corporal gives when he witnesses this, and pretty much any of his incompetent boss's antics.
- Psycho. That is all.
- Russell's ESL class at the beginning.
Russell: Okay, I know you're anxious to jump right in and start speaking English, but there's a couple of things I need to know first, because I've never done this before. So, how many of you would say you speak English fairly well, but with some difficulties?(silence)Russell: A little English?(man raises his hand)Russell: Yes, you speak some English?Man: Son of bitch. Shit.Class: (in unison) Son of bitch. Shit.
- Russell tries to lead the class in singing "Da Doo Ron Ron".
- When John and Stella find their platoon's cell:
John: (knocks on door) Hello?Ox: Hello? Who is this?John: It's Idi Amin!
- "Where's your drill sergeant, men?" "BLOWN UP, SIR!" Doubles as a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- "What sort of training, cadet?" "aaAAAARRRRRMY TRAINING, SIR!"