open/close all folders
The amount of crap getting past the radar in this series
- In the first game, Shantae needs to get help from her friends and other NPCs to unlock the dungeons. The methods they choose to do so can be pretty silly:
- For the Water Dungeon, Bolo flings his weapon which bounces around everywhere before hitting the eye above the door.
- For the Earth Dungeon, Sky's bird Wrench literally acts as a wrench, screwing in two gems along the wall to unlock the door.
- For the Zombie Dungeon, Rottytops detaches her leg and uses it as a makeshift lockpick.
- And finally for the Ice Dungeon, the Bandit Town Genie just smacks the gate with her hip, which unlocks it.
- Shantae thanking Barracuda Joe for his generosity in Risky's Revenge.
Shantae: Thanks Barracuda Joe! You're a lifesaver! (Kiss!)
Barracuda Joe: Don't say "kiss" to me unless you're actually givin' me a kiss. Otherwise it's just words. Okay?
Shantae: Ok. (Kiss!)
Barracuda Joe: Ok, yer doing it again. Get going.
- The increasingly grandiose rant of the chef girl in the Forest if you refuse to give Wobble Bell back.
Chef Girl: You're right. That's probably not my pup. Oh, Wobble Bell! If only I knew where he went! He probably felt that I took him for granted and left to find some other chef to inspire! And now, they are making wondrous dishes together and traveling the world. And let's be honest. I was taking him for granted. I rarely even fed him. And when he wanted attention I'd just push him aside and focus on my culinary arts. But now he's moved on, and my fate is sealed. Sure, I'll cook, at first out of habit. But eventually I'll become a heartless automaton, marrying the first man that takes interest and I'll cook and I'll cook. People will come for miles to try my recipes, I'll be famous, and the world will become reliant on my food. Then Wobble Bell and I will meet at random and it will be awkward. I'll bury my feelings until one day I crack. And that will be it. I'll give up cooking and the world will have nothing to eat, and every living thing will starve and die out. The land will grow cold and life as we know it will cease. Oh Wobble Bell, please come back.
- Meta: This let's play video. The player goes from initially dismissing Risky as a pathetic easy boss, to being genuinely worried and finally falling in love with her:
Isocitration: Your hair is so beautiful. It is making me disturbed.
- Shantae raids Risky's wardrobe in Pirate's Curse.
Risky: Stay out of my personal effects!
- The Squid Baron in Pirate's Curse spends the first half of the game depressed due to "post-boss syndrome" and you have to keep cheering him up until you eventually fight him at the end of the Lost Catacombs dungeon. The battle begins with him giving an impassioned speech about how he's finally embraced his destiny as a filler boss, and he gets his own frantic music as well as an armored second phase announced with "SQUID BARON 2.0" scrolling across the screen. The battle ends up completely invigorating his fighting spirit and he becomes excited at the prospect of becoming a palette swap or a Degraded Boss.
Squid Baron: Answer me this. How much map have you traveled? How full are your pockets? About half, right? Halfway full? Filler boss. It's my destiny. I see that now. I won't try to escape it.
Shantae: You're scaring me...
Squid Baron: You and me both. But I won't hide from fate! I'm going to be the best filler boss of all time! Old hat! Recycled moves! All of it! Bring it on, sister! Let's boogie down!
- After the first boss of Pirate's Curse, Shantae has been through quite a day and decides to take a nice bath to relax and unwind.
Shantae: Wait a minute. I don't own a bathtub.