- During the 1984 Presidential debates, Democratic nominee Walter Mondale repeatedly made an issue of Reagan's age (he was, and remains, the oldest President in U.S. history), and repeatedly implied that Reagan's old age made him less capable. Finally, when a reporter asked Reagan himself about the age issue, Reagan responded: "I am not going to make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience." Reagan then calmly took a sip of water. Even Mondale cracked up.
- Looking back, Mondale says this was the moment he realized he'd lost.
- A lot of Ronald Reagan moments, really. Particularly his Soviet-themed jokes.
- At one point, he was being interviewed by ABC News White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, who was trying to corner him. When Donaldson asked Reagan if he was to be blamed in any way for the major recession that started years ago, Reagan replied, " Yes, because for many years I was a Democrat."
- Another moment when he was being interviewed by a news reporter, the reporter made slip of the tongue and accidentally referred to Reagan as "Mr. Secretary" rather than "Mr. President." It took a few moments for the reporter to finally realize his mistake and he apologized for it. Reagan's response?
"Thank God, for a moment there I thought I lost my job"
- As he was preparing to make his weekly radio address, as he made a sound check he made the next joke to the technichians:
- An apparent rumor was that when Reagan was shot by John Hinckley, Jr. and rushed to the hospital, his reaction to the whole thing was literally on how his new suit was ruined. Also, when he went in for emergency surgery, he mentioned jokingly that he hoped all the medical staff involved were Republicans.
- Turned into a Heartwarming Moment after the head trauma surgeonnote replied, "Mr. President, we're all Republicans today."