- The fact that this film makes several references to people, events and inventions that obviously didn't exist at the time which the story takes place (i.e., medieval Europe).
- Included but not limited to:
- The characters in this film 'Break the Fourth Wall' many times.
- The king of these is the archery sequence, wherein characters pull out their scripts from under their chairs to double-check a plot development. "Yes, yes, he gets another shot..."
- The fight between Robin and Little John....over the right to cross a bridge that covers a stream of water that's tiny enough to step over.
- "It's good to be the king." (A Call Back to History of the World Part 1)
- And Patrick Stewart hamming it up as King Richard in the first place.
"Throw him in the Tower of London! ...make him part of the tour!"
- Richard Lewis playing Prince John and playing up his neurotic Jewish-ness Up to Eleven.
"I hope this is all worth the nooooise!"
- I love the way he says "traif" after Robin dumps the pig on the dinner table.
- And his facial expression during the archery tournament, when a trumpet is blown directly into each of his ears.
- "I have a mole?"
- Robin knocking over the knights, domino style.
- The Sheriff challenging Robin to a duel.
- "We're men! We're men in tights!/We roam around the forest looking for fights!/We're men! We're men in tiiiights!/We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right!"
- Interestingly, that's a recycled melody from History of the World Part I, namely the "Jews in Space" preview at the end that's pretty funny in and of itself.
- The can-can part. Yes, really.
- "We're butch!"
- Blinkin continually getting his steps wrong and punching the people standing next to him.
- "I CAN SEE!" * wham* ".....nope. I guess I was wrong."
- In that same scene:
Robin: Blinkin, what are you doing?
Blinkin: Guessing? I.. guess no one's coming?
Robin: Get down from there! Twit.
Blinkin: I... guess there's a ladder around here somewhere... (feels around and falls out of treehouse)
- The fact that, Blinkin, the blind guy, was chosen to be the lookout.
- At a banquet, a mime attempts to entertain Prince John and the sheriff. When he fails to do so, the sherif orders him executed, but John stops him with this line:
Prince John: You know a mime...is a terrible thing to waste.
Sheriff:...........Let him go.
- Another Blinkin moment:
Robin: Thank you, Blinkin, well done.
Blinkin: What? Who's talking?
- A third Blinkin moment:
Atchoo: Hey, Blinkin...
Blinkin: Did you say 'Abe Lincoln'?
Atchoo: No, I didn't say 'Abe Lincoln'!
- Another awesome Blinkin moment: "OH, ROBIN! YOU LOST YOUR ARMS IN BATTLE! .....but you grew some nice boobs...."
- A mere minute or two before that, he's interrupted on the toilet. While reading a braille Playboy.
- The "This never would have happened if your father were still alive." conversation. Especially the face at the end
- Blinkin vs. a wooden pillar. Blinkin wins.
- (After Robin suggests Atchoo as the new sheriff)
Townsfolk: A black sheriff??
Blinkin: He's black?!?
- Complete with Dave Chappelle doing a phenomenal impression of Cleavon Little, who starred as Black Bart in Blazing Saddles.
- Adding to all that, if you listen close it sounds like Blinkin drops his British accent.
- The opening sequence in Le Dungeon is full-out funny.
Prison Guard: Just remember, if you need anything, all you have to do is scream. [An inmate off-camera screams] Coming! We're so busy here!
- Dom De Luise as "Don Giovanni".
- "What about your lizard? Isn't he a bit limp?" "When you get to my age...Oh he's just asleep."
- Filthy Luca gets three major lines in the whole scene. Thanks to his delivery and everyone else's reactions, he makes them all count.
- The Trope Namer for Bad News in a Good Way.
- The guard in the prison discovers the jailbreak. "I've just told everyone the great news! and....and....and I'm in deep shit."
- The villager training montage.
Atchoo: ".....hey, Rob, maybe we should take the dummies into battle."
Robin: "Ha!" (pauses, frowns, and starts pondering seriously)
- During the same montage, the villagers trying to shoot arrows. They range from releasing the bow instead of the string, breaking their bows when they draw, and shooting an arrow backwards into someone behind them.
- The Running Gag about the Sheriff of Rottingham's dyslexia, especially when he flips out over the killing of the wild boar, um, pig.
"ENOUGH! KING ILLEGAL FOREST! TO PIG WILD! KILL IN IT A IS!"
"Over that boy hand!"
"He DEERED to kill a king's DARE!....Dared...to kill a king's deer."
''"I'LL PAY FOR THIS!....YOU'LL PAY FOR THIS!" Made even better by Ahchoo nodding and grinning after the first line.
"My liege! Struckey has loxxed again!"
- The catapult scene.
Sheriff of Rottingham: This is a stealth catapult, we've been working on it secretly for months. It can hurl one of these heavy boulders undetected, over a hundred yards, completely destroying anything in its path.
Prince John: Wow! How's it work?
Sheriff of Rottingham: It's rather simple. You get one of these heavy boulders, put it here where I'm sitting, and then pull on that lever.
Prince John: Like this? [Pulls the lever, sending the Sheriff flying]
Latrine: * [Praying by her bed] Oh dear Lord, if you see fit to send me my one true love... [The Sheriff crashes through the roof into her room. Latrine looks up and says] Thank you!
- "SHUT UP, YOU BLOODY FOOLS!"
- Da daaaaaaaaaaaaah, dadadadadadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, dadadadadada-da-da, dada-da-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
- "Now you've really pissed me off!" "Man, if I were that close to a horses wiener I'd be worried about getting pissed on!"
- "Mind the big rocks!"
- You haven't seen the last of us! [six arrows at once pin him to a tree] You've seen the last of us.
- From the opening:
Villager: There must be another way of doing the credits!
Fireman: That's right! Everytime they do a Robin Hood movie they burn our village down!
[flaming arrows hit a rooftop, and flaming text appears showing who is directing the movie]
Villagers: LEAVE US ALONE, MEL BROOKS!
- Rabbi Tuckman hawking circumcision to an ignorant Merry Men, stating "the ladies love it". Bonus points to Little John who responds, "I'll take two!" Once he finds out what it is he quickly blurts "...I change my mind."
Blinkin: Question. (Atchoo stops him immediately)
- Wrong rope.
- HEYYYYYYYYY AAAABBOTT
"I hate that guy!"
- The reaction to the Sheriff's first name, Mervin. The name itself isn't funny but the acting and timing are perfect. Mostly Prince John's laughter throughout.
- "Okay. [Beat] Mervin." *gigglesnort*
- "Blinkin, fix your boobs. You look like a bloody Picasso!"
- When they're repossessing Robin's castle, check out the bottom of the scroll:
Royal Campaign Election Fund (see page 17)
Do you want 1/2 pence to go to this fund?
If joint filing, does your spouse want 1/2 pence to go to this fund?
- When Broomhilde goes to jump out the window onto the horse, the horse looks at her and the subtitles read "You have got to be kidding!
- At the end, they're about to unlock her chastity belt and the key can't turn. "Call the locksmith!!"
- The entire banquet scene, but especially:
Prince John: And why should the people listen to you?
- Particularly amusing is that during the entire conversation, Prince John and the Sheriff have been tolerating all of Robin's insults and mockery and threats, but that pushes them over the line to kill him.
- Latrine changed her name to Latrine.
"It used to be 'Shithouse!'"
- It's a good change. A good change.
- When Prince John asks if she's certain about how much of a threat Robin is:
Latrine: Certain? You want certain, hire yourself a witch. I'm just your cook. Here. Eat this. [spoons some unholy mix of raven's egg, some sort of blood, eyeballs of a crocodile, and testicles of a newt onto his plate]
Prince John: It all looks so good. Like a seder at Vincent Price's house. [samples some] [spits an eyeball across the table as Latrine's back is turned]
- At one point during the banquet brawl, Prince John and the Sheriff can be seen in the background holding up the wild pig as a shield.