- Anakin and Obi-Wan take time out from the opening battle to comment on R2's performance. For about five seconds they sound like his parents, with Anakin being the protective one and Obi-Wan asking why he's always the bad guy.
Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been -
Anakin: Ehh, no loose wire jokes.
Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
Anakin: He's trying.
Obi-Wan: (defensively) I didn't say anything!
Battle droid: "Hands up, Jedi!"
Anakin hanging by his hands inside an elevator shaft, looking at them like "Are you serious?"
- There is also:
Battle Droid A: Drop your weapons.
Obi-Wan and Anakin pause, look behind them
Battle Droid A: I said drop them...Roger.
Battle Droid B: Roger, roger.
Anakin and Obi-Wan slice the battle droids to bits.
- When Obi-Wan regains consciousness while Anakin is carrying both him and the Chancellor, while hanging for dear life in an elevator shaft.
Obi-Wan: [wakes up] Uh... Wha! Ah! [Clutches Anakin for dear life]
Obi-Wan: Did I miss something?!
Anakin: Hold on.
Obi-Wan: What is that?
Anakin: Uh, oops.
Cut to an elevator heading straight for them.
- Even funnier in the novelization, when Obi-Wan wakes up, he's starting upside-down at Anakin's butt. At least, he thinks it's Anakin's butt, he hasn't really made a study of it, especially at this range and angle. The description does a wonderful job of relating Obi-Wan's semi-concussed muddledness.
- When Anakin and Obi-Wan argue about how many times the young apprentice had saved his master.
Anakin: You owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time.
- Made even funnier in the novel Labyrinth of Evil, when we see just what that "business" was. Obi-Wan unintentionally got high and Anakin helped him finish off a group of battle droids that were attacking him.
- Fridge hilarity when you realize that's a public transport Obi-Wan is about to board. A master Jedi, galactic peacekeeper, warrior monk with supernatural powers...is riding the bus.
- Virtually all the snark from the droids at the beginning of the film.
- When General Grievous snatches two lightsabers out of a poor downed Battle Droid's hands.
Battle Droid: You're welcome.
- You practically feel the snark from that one. It passes by Obi-Wan and Anakin as it gives their lightsabers to Grievous and even says 'Excuse me.'
- Right before they were captured, R2 ran away from super battle droids and hit a wall. And then he repeatedly shakes his head as if to prevent him from becoming dizzy, like how us people would do when we hit something on our head.
- The scene where Anakin heckles Grievous.
General Grievous: Anakin Skywalker. I expected someone with your reputation to be a little... older.
Anakin: General Grievous... you're shorter than I expected.
General Grievous: Jedi scum!
Obi-Wan: We have a job to do, Anakin. Try not to upset him.
- Obi-Wan's total lack of reaction to everything going to hell during the battle of Coruscant.
"Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship."
Obi-Wan: Can you fly a cruiser like this?
Anakin: You mean, do I know how to land what's left of this thing?
Anakin: Under the circumstances, I'd say the ability to pilot this thing is irrelevant. Strap yourselves in.
- For that matter, the entire Coming In Hot scenario with increasingly large portions of the ship bursting into flames and/or falling off as Anakin brings them in for a forced landing. What should be a terrifyingly catastrophic scene (all of those chunks of the ship are falling over a very large city, and the ship itself takes out several buildings at the spaceport when it ditches) ends up being hysterically funny, thanks to Anakin and Obi-Wan's deadpan commentary.
Obi-Wan: (obviously winded) Another happy landing.
- Yoda's subtle flick of his wrist to effortlessly knock out the two Royal Guards with The Force as he enters Palpatine's office while not even breaking his stride doubles as both a Crowning Moment of Funny and a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- On the DVD Commentary, they claim that this was not intended to be a humorous moment.
- "NOOOOoooOOOOoooOOOoooo..." Or, translated into proper English, "Do not want".
- General Grievous at one point delivers this line...
General Grievous: I am sending you to the Mustafar system in the Outer Rim. It is a volcanic planet which generates a great deal of scanning interference. You will be safe there.
- What the line actually sounds like when delivered during the movie...
: I am sending you to the Mustafar system in the Outer Rim. It is a volcanic planet (inaudible). You will be safe there.
- When the Jedi Knights blunder boldly into a (previously discussed) trap, Obi-Wan loses his cool for a moment.
- Even better in the novelisation, where Obi-Wan notices that yet again, Anakin has misplaced his lightsaber. When he tries to call this out, Anakin manages to throw it right back into his face. And then Palpatine winks at him, as if sharing the joke.
Obi-Wan: Oh Anakin, where is your lightsaber?
Anakin: I know exactly where it is. *pointing at a battle droid* It's right there.
Obi-Wan: How could you let this happen?
Anakin: Hey, he's got your lightsaber too, you know.
Obi-Wan: I really don't think that's the point.
Obi-Wan: Yes, alright, you've made your point.
- Immediately after Anakin advises Obi-Wan to be patient and wait for R2's arrival. R2 promptly barrels into the hallway and brings about 40 other droids in tow, chasing after it. When cornered, R2 shocks the closest Super Battle Droid, which gets it kicked over like some trash can.
Anakin: I say patience.
Obi-Wan: (clearly incredulous) Patience?
Anakin: Yes. R2 will show up, and he'll deactivate the ray shields.
(enter R2 careening in through a nearby doorway and crashing into the opposite wall)
Anakin: See? No problem.
(battle droids show up)
Super Battle Droid: Don't move. (gets zapped) OW! *kick*
- From the novelisation: Obi-Wan and Yoda are considering how they will get back to Coruscant post-Order 66, and look dubiously at the small one seater spaceship Obi-Wan arrived in.
Obi-Wan: I suppose... if you don't mind riding on my lap...
- The novelization has a number of darkly funny moments whenever Grievous is forced to put up with Nute Gunray. Most notably: "Grievous resisted his natural inclination, which was to boot the Viceroy so high he'd burn up on reentry."
- Another moment in the novelization. General Grievous subscribes to the school of You Have Failed Me management, and he has an even smaller tolerance for failure than Darth Vader. Reality Ensues with he gets fed up with one last panicking crew member... and then realizes he just killed the last of his bridge crew.
- Obi-Wan immediately after killing Grievous with a blaster of all things:
Obi-Wan: SO uncivilized...
- Becomes even funnier when you realize that he's not referring to Grievous, he's referring to the act of using a blaster. It's a callback to a line in A New Hope, in which he describes the lightsaber as a "elegant weapon" and subtly expresses disdain for blasters.
- There's a moment in the Obi-Wan vs Anakin fight that's actually pretty funny, and it's completely silent. While Anakin and Obi-Wan are squaring off on a very thin pipe, one of the lava-collecting droids pops up. It looks at Anakin, then Obi-Wan, then pauses for a second. As if thinking "No way in hell is dealing with this part of my job description", it immediately flies away.
- When Anakin and Obi-Wan are fighting on one of the massive arms of the factory, and hot lava and rocks start raining down, they break off their duel momentarily to take cover. The annoyed expressions on their faces are amusing, but you almost expect them to resume snarking at each other. "This is another fine mess you've gotten us into!" "You're the one who brought us out here, Master!"
- R2-D2 curb-stomping two super battle droids.
- C-3PO's reaction to hearing that he's going to have to undergo a mind-wipe.
- The cut scenes are pretty funny as well. At one point Anakin and Obi-Wan flee into the fuel lines of Grievous' ship.
Anakin: We're safe for the time being.
Obi-Wan: (incredulous) Your idea of safe is not the same as mine.
- They then crawl to the maintenance shafts and Anakin welds one shut to stop the fuel explosion they're waiting for.
Obi-Wan: Anakin, you still have much to learn. That will never hold.
Fuel explodes, raptures the hull and dents the welded shaft.
still have much to learn.
- There is also the longer version of them taking the elevator.
Anakin: R2, where are they holding the chancellor?
Anakin: (looking at his comlink) No text. (hits comlink)
Anakin: It's broken. Can you understand what he's saying?
Obi-Wan: I'm not a protocol droid.
Anakin: I'm pretty sure that beep (perfect binary) is down.
Obi-Wan: I sense Count Dooku is above us.
Anakin: Oh, yes yes yes, you're right. Beep (perfect binary) is up. (nods).
Obi-Wan: Ah (starts for elevator).
Anakin: I think...anyway, I agree. Up it is.
- Followed by the above mentioned elevator scene with the battle droids and this gem:
- At one point in the Obi-Wan vs. Grievous fight, Obi-Wan kicks the General in the shin. This being General Grievous, Obi-Wan comes to regret his decision very quickly.
- An outtake of the three-way fight duel between Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Count Dooku has Ewan McGregor swinging his lightsaber into Hayden Christiansen's crotch.
(Anakin clutches his groin, groans, and falls over in pain)
Obi-Wan: I'll take you on my own!