For a boy band, *NSYNC sure are hysterical.
- Their Europe-only music video for "U Drive Me Crazy" is four and a half minutes of pure hilarity. The boys ham it up in front of the camera intercut with them trying to get the attention of a music executive (played by their real life manager). As part of their increasingly futile attempts to get his attention, they disguise themselves as a Hair Metal band, a rap group, the Jackson 5, and the Spice Girls.
- What makes the Disguised in Drag gag even funnier is that they weren't even bothering to put effort in their disguises. They clearly looked like five young men in dresses and Chris and Joey didn't bother to shave.
- The "Here We Go" video is all sorts of dorky hilarity, including Justin hitting Joey in the head with the basketball and Lance stuffing the ball under his shirt while surrounded by the opposing team.
- The original "I Want You Back" video in all its cheesy glory, with awkward dance movies and clothes, and badly CGI-animated spaceship.
- When they performed their tribute to the Jackson 5 on their Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now tour, they dressed up in tacky 70s outfits, with huge afro wigs and all.
- "I Drive Myself Crazy" has the boys hamming it up in the sanitarium for all its worth, especially JC. Who goes bug-eyed at the sight of a talk show on TV.
- The "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays" video, with a cameo from Gary Coleman as Santa's helper, very obvious green screen work, and the boys pretending to hold on for dear life because Joey is driving the reins.
- The music video for "It's Gonna Be Me", with the band as toy marionettes fighting with G.I. Joe dolls and getting suckered into a trap by Barbie dolls. Justin explicitly states that it's intended to be a funny video.
- A commercial they did for McDonald's had them playing Spin the Bottle with Britney Spears. Lance spins the bottle, and it ends...on Justin.
- In another McDonald's commercial, Lance can be seen in the middle of a sea of people holding up a sign that says "Lance is cool too".
- An anti-drug PSA they did was basically them goofing off in the front of the camera and concludes with Chris yelling about sticky things and JC chasing him off screen.
- When they premiered their video for "This I Promise You" on TRL, Justin breaks and starts tackling the other members offscreen one by one as Lance continues talking into the microphone without missing a beat.
- The teaser for their Superbowl performance? They were in the middle of going to the bathroom.
- And then the introduction skit done with Aerosmith just before their joint Superbowl performance; Aerosmith is rehearsing "Dude Looks Like A Lady" when the boys suddenly sing the titular line, garnering an unimpressed stare from Steven Tyler.
- When asked about their frenzied fans:
: The first thing you learn in *NSYNCology 101 is: if the fans chase you, do not run. It creates a frenzy. You go over and put up a newspaper
and act like you're reading, or you put a lampshade on your head
and pretend you're a lamp pole. Lance
: So they pull your string
, then you enjoy it.
- Chris and Joey once hosted TRL... wearing spotted pajamas and Backstreet Boys t-shirts.
- Their cameo on Saturday Night Live, where they were played a boy band named "No Refund" and did the Running Man while singing about food innuendos.
- And in a lovely Call Back to that sketch, they did one of TRL's infamous shoutouts as No Refund.
- They would make fake shoutouts nearly every time they were on TRL, complete with requisite frenzied screaming.
- They made a second cameo on the same episode, playing boarding school students who reacted to "Show and Tell" completely deadpan. Joey played the Camp Gay student and Lance and Chris were the snotty Jerkass students.
- The Armagedd'n Sync skit they did for the MTV Movie Awards.
: We're the best rag-tag group of pretty boys
on the planet!
- Chris filmed a cutscene for one of Britney's tours...in drag as Britney.
- This compilation of clips from their No Strings Attached promo in Japan. Featured are them singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" with a random Japanese man, goofing off during interviews, singing a rather pained rendition of "Help!", and finishing off with an impromptu vocal cover of "Also Sprach Zarathustra".
After being asked if there's anything their fans don't know about them. Chris:
My nipples explode with the light.
It's not a true statement, but it's something he's never told anyone before.
- From the making of "Pop": the MTV cameras catch Justin hanging out the car window. He tries to talk, but his mouth is full of food.
- A golf-cart-turned-on-foot chase between Justin and Chris.
Justin: It seems that the pursuer is an old fart! [After Chris fails to catch him and is seen heavily breathing] He's too old for me.
- Chris jokingly standing amongst a line up of potential leading girls for the video.
Wayne Isham: [pointing at Chris] What about the black leather pants? You kinda feeling that?
Assistant: She's a mess.
- They also spent a bit of time ribbing their choreographer Wade for standing in for a injured Joey.
: [to Wade
] You're gonna get sexified! You're getting Joe-ified! Lance
: [to Wade
] See, Joey would have eaten that shrimp. Get into character. Chris
: They're painting a beard on Wade because he's only 12 and he can't grow a beard yet. The question is, does he look like Joey? Not at all!
- Chris taking a scooter meant for Joey on a joyride.
- Chris mocks JC's hair.
Chris: Can you see me past JC's hair? I want to know.
Wayne Isham: Nah, you'd get way lost.
- From filming the club scenes:
: Money, baby! That's the money shot! I make miracles happen! [Beat
] I don't know what the hell I just said!
- JC sluggishly drags himself to the set, commenting that he's barely awake...and walks right into a cargo case. Justin, having witnessed the whole thing, starts braying with laughter.
- These bits from the making of "Bye Bye Bye":
JC: We're excited to do our own stunts! And test our insurance policies!
- The director storyboards the video for them:
: We want to do our own stunts.
[The music cuts out for a Beat
: JC especially wants to do the car crash. [JC Death Glares at him
] Record executive
: You guys still have more recording to do.
- After Chris and Joey filmed their segment of the video:
Chris: Hold on a minute.
Chris: Did you see how fine that girl was just chasing us?
Chris: Why are we running?
JC: Lance broke the car!
Lance: I did!
JC: Keep it on the down low!
- From the making of "It's Gonna Be Me":
Justin: You're basically telling her that if you don't step up to the plate, then it's gonna be too late, I see we could have had a date...that's not so...great. [makes a face]
- Chris's Dr. Evil impression as his puppet, handled by Justin, mimics him.
Chris: Today, we are talking about our "video". And in our "video", we have a concept of being in a toy store. Isn't that right, Mini-Me? [The puppet nods] Very good, Mini-Me.
- Chris makes faces and mocks JC behind his back as JC describes their performance area.
- Chris and Justin make noises about groping the model...and then it turns out they were groping each other as she steps aside.
- The director, Wayne Isham, pranks Chris by rigging the box's plastic so that Chris can't punch it.
- JC on the fight scene with the army dolls:
JC: I'm gonna kick some tail, man. That's all I'm saying, I'm throwing down, man. [Later after they lose] Did you see my kung fu grip?!
- At the 2001 American Music Awards, they were backstage and getting ready to present a segment of the show. When the camera panned to them, Joey suddenly grabs JC and starts twirling him around in a slow dance as Chris prays to the ceiling and Justin and Lance make goofy faces at the camera.
- This fake blooper reel has Chris, JC, and Justin repeatedly screwing up something as simple as saying their names.
- Their performance of "Just Got Paid" for the 2000 Billboard Music Awards was 4 and a half minutes of campy goodness.
- Any time they perform "Space Cowboy" is an exercise in surreal hilarity. The dance routine includes pinching their noses as they shimmy from side to side and includes gunslinging sounds. The PopOdyssey version includes denim chaps, zip wires, and mechanical bulls.
- It's hard not to laugh when they run into gaffes during live performances.
- Lance's mic is incredibly unbalanced at the beginning of their 2000 VMA performance, making it really obvious when it suddenly gets turned down.
- Lance's mic was also pretty unbalanced at the beginning of their HBO special. You can actually hear him breathing and when he actually sings on certain parts of the opening numbers.
- Chris' mic is similarly unbalanced in this performance of "It's Gonna Be Me", and you can practically feel the sound engineers scramble to turn down his mic after his vocals completely overpower Justin's.
- When they performed "It's Gonna Be Me" for the 2002 Olympic Concert Series they all messed up the timing of the intro, causing Justin to let out a goofy laugh.
- Lance(?) apparently forgets he's supposed to be lip syncing during this performance of "I Want You Back". His too small shirt keeps riding up too, the poor thing.
- It's unknown whether this early European performance of "I Want You Back" was supposed to be lip synced or not, but after half a verse of Justin singing sharp his mic was eventually shut off. JC also falls on his butt after Joey flips him.
- Speaking of flips, Joey and Chris completely screw up this flip during "You Got It". Poor Chris falls flat on his back. For some unintentional hilarity, get a load of the incredibly inaccurate video title and info.
- JC momentarily loses track of the choreography during this performance of "Here We Go''.
- Joey accidentally drops his mic during this performance of "Tearin' Up My Heart".
- Their reunion for the 2013 VMAs began with Lance, JC, Joey, and Chris rising up from trapdoors in the stage. They were supposed drop back down at the end of their performance, but unfortunately for Chris, his trapdoor stopped working, leaving him stranded and having to make his exit by inelegantly dropping down Joey's trapdoor. Lance recalled that he actually pointed and laughed at Chris as his own trapdoor was going down.
Lance: [snickering] He was so pissed, he was so mad at me.
- On MTV's New Year's Eve special in 2002, they premiered their video for "Girlfriend" while clearly drunk.
Lance: Happy New Year's, MTV!
Chris: Happy New Year's!
Lance: [JC and Joey cram into the frame, pushing him out of frame] As a special New Year's gift, we're gonna give you the premiere of "Girlfriend"...right now...check it out.
Joey: Yeah!!! [blows raspberry]
JC: Hey, show your face, J!
Justin: So...when this airs right here, this part, in the little corner down at the bottom, I want you to put "Director: Justin Timberlake". [The camera obliges as Chris pops up behind him and flashes the V signs] That was revolutionary! [grins]
- Speaking of drunk, they once hosted an entire music video dedication special for MTV's Spring Break looking pretty plastered as they were splayed out all over the hotel room set with a number of margarita glasses and broken tortilla chips littered around them. Justin, Chris, and Lance wore hats and sunglasses and looking like they were about to roll off their spots the entire time while Joey wrapped himself up in a blanket like a burrito.
: This next dedication goes out to a pool side babe in a desperate plea for [suddenly very loudly
] PURE ANIMAL SEX! Justin
: [immediately does a Double Take
] Whoa. Lance
] And now that I've got your attention, we'll be right back. [laughs as commercial plays
- They randomly burst into singing "The Hokey Pokey" while waving their margarita limes on skewers and Chris dares Joey to eat one from one of the glasses.
Justin: [after Joey spits out the lime] He's bobbing for limes.
- Joey apparently runs off to the bathroom clutching a copy of Rolling Stone magazine with the guys on the cover.
- During a dedication that played Destinys Child's "Bug-A-Boo", Chris pulls out a dictionary to look up the word. Lance then asks him if the word's definition includes pagers.
- The interludes on their 2001 PopOdyssey tour are hilarious.
- The video before "Space Cowboy" featured Lance and Chris as cowboys speaking in exaggerated Texas accents and had the rest of the boys in cowboy getup goofing off in front of a bonfire.
- And just after Justin finishes singing "Gone", Chris attacks Justin with an giant inflatable glove. Justin retaliates by punching Chris in the groin with the glove, segueing into "It's Gonna Be Me" as the other three and their dancers start bringing out gigantic toys.
- The interlude before "Celebrity" had JC on the phone, but he's interrupted by Joey chewing celery, Lance imitating the infamous Budweiser commercial, and Justin and Chris trying to rope JC into a three-way call...while Justin is on a speedboat.
- The video interlude before "Just Got Paid" on their 2000 No Strings Attached tour is one long moment of funny: the band relax backstage, which resembles a huge circus and once they plop down to watch some television, a robot pops up where Lance should have been sitting and the boys are surprising nonchalant about it. (Also doubles as a shout-out◊ to Mystery Science Theater 3000!)
: [Record Needle Scratch
] What the heck are you? [Justin turns to look and then turns on the TV
] Looks a little like Lance. Cut his hair. Justin
: Imposter! That ain't Lance! Chris
: You ain't Lance?
[Several seconds pass as Justin continues flipping channels
: Can I get you something? [The robot shakes
] No? Okay.
- *NSYNC singing Do-Run-Run.
- All of The Reel *NSYNC, for that matter. Special mention to that one fangirl who sent Chris a love letter consisting of enough pages of "I Love You" to span nearly an entire hotel hallway.
- Their lovely rendition of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, in which JC and Joey bounce around, Chris messes up the lyrics, Justin monkeys Chris, and Lance pretends he doesn't know these idiots.
- Not specifically about the band, but still infamous amongst the fandom is Tiffany, the diehard Backstreet Boys fan.
- Justin fails at preparing for Christmas and Joey says the wrong thing.
- The band fails at recording a Christmas message for their website. It also sums up their dynamic perfectly.
- One of Lance's solo interviews:
- He recalls a story about how a fan thought he was in love with her and that his orientation was a joke:
Lance: She thought this whole gay thing was a joke, that I was basically lying about it.
Dave Rubin: Was it Miley Cyrus?
Lance: Damn it, you caught me.
- Chris and Joey spent a few days filling in for the hosts of the morning show of Orlando's top 40 station, XL 106.7. One bit had them strap an electric collar to Chris's leg and giving him a shock if callers gave wrong answers to trivia about the band. Chris was shocked multiple times, especially after one caller thought Lance was Lance Armstrong.
Kate [the assistant host]: Alright, whose first career goal was it to work with NASA? Out of the five guys of *NSYNC. Itís an easy one.
Marissa [the caller]: I donít know. Gimme a hint or something.
Joey: ♪ Iím coming out! I want the world toó
Chris: OK, listen though. Do you know any of the other guysí names?
Chris: OK, well, letís talk about it now. The two stupid ones are in the studio right now: Chris and Joey, OK?
[Jeopardy thinking music starts playing]
Chris: Thereís Justin, who has a record out. Thereís JC, who had a record out. And then thereís one that was on People Magazine for coming out. And his name is Lance.
Marissa: Oh! Lance Armstrong!
[Joey bursts into hysterical laughter]
- Joey admitting he taught his then-5-year-old daughter fart jokes. His daughter even manages to worm her way onto the air.
- At end of their stint, a caller sounding suspiciously like Justin faking a bad accent tells them they sucked, grading them from a D to a Z. Kate mentions that the caller sounded strangely familiar while Chris and Joey snicker and drop the matter.
- While doing promotion for their Atlantis concert special, they were basically stuck in a featureless room for an entire day. So to combat the boredom, Justin and Lance start quoting the drive-thru scene from Dude, Where's My Car? while JC randomly decides to kick Chris's chair.
- Their appearance on The Simpsons, where they lampooned themselves and shipped JC off to the navy without his knowledge.
- The boys amuse themselves with a foul-mouthed teddy bear that belongs to Joey.
- James Van Der Beek recounted a story where Justin and Lance (who were both underaged) tried to sneak into a club using his ID. He only managed to sneak Justin in before the bouncers cottoned on.
- "It's Gonna Be MAY" is coming.
- The Tonight Show's suggestion box presents Lance Bass, the singing fish.
- On Lance's wedding special, he asked JC to sing the song for his first dance. JC agrees and then in the middle of singing, invokes the Melismatic Vocals for laughs, cracking "That's for making me a wedding singer!"