Funny / Medium
Tons. Especially in Be Kind, Rewind where Allison becomes increasingly erratic as she experiences the same day over and over again:
Allison: Is this about Amy Amson? You're on the hot list, she's not on the hot list?
Ariel: That is so unfair you can do that.
Joe: That is so cool you can do that.
- Even better is the next time around when she has grown so frustrated that before Ariel can even tell her there's a bully, she starts yelling at her confused daughter to be a badass.
Allison: BADASS, BADASS, BADASS, DON'T PRETEND YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, YOU GOTTA GET SOME ATTITUDE ARIEL DUBOIS!
- Joe gives the show itself a Take That! in the middle of an argument:
Allison: You know this is the first time I can ever remember you not asking how my day was!
Joe: I didn't forget, I already know! You had a dream, you told someone about it, at first they didn't believe you, but it all worked out in the end!
- This is the bare-basics formula for essentially every episode.
- When Devalos has lost his position as District Attorney and finds himself a Defense lawyer we hear him talking on the phone to a client accused of his wife's murder
Devalos: Was your wife ever despondent, did she ever seek therapy, use prescription anti-depressants?
[a pause while the client responds]
Devalos: (visibly frustrated) An enormous passion for life? Loved to travel, great...
- In the same episode, Scanlon is interviewing said suspect:
Scanlon: Not to belabor the obvious, but uh... to the best of your recollection, your wife was alive when you drove off?
Suspect: Of course.
Scanlon: So... Yes?
- When Allison has a dream that Ariel came home with a boyfriend and told her parents she wasn't going to college because she was pregnant, her reaction was pretty funny. Bear in mind she's had visions of rapes, murders, torture, her own husband or children being killed, and one where she lost her legs in an accident. But when she has one where Ariel's pregnant:
Joe: Bad dream?
Allison: The worst.
Allison: [If you didn't commit a murder then] Explain the gloves, explain the electrical tape.
Accused: I'm an electrician.
- In "Better Off Dead," Allison wakes up and tells Joe that she "just had the oddest dream."
Joe: I'm going to assume you just said that with a straight face.