* The first lines of the cartoon, as Lucy's carving the pumpkin:
-->'''Linus:''' (''anguished'') Oh! You didn't tell me you were gonna kill it! AWH!
* Lucy's advice on choosing the perfect Halloween costume before donning her witch costume:
-->'''Lucy:''' [[HypocriticalHumor A person should always choose a costume that is in direct contrast to her own personality.]]
-->'''Sally:''' Is Linus taking me to the party?
-->'''Lucy:''' That ''stupid'' blockhead of a brother of mine is out in the pumpkin patch making his yearly fool of himself.
* Sally getting scared by her own BedsheetGhost costume.
* Charlie Brown's bedsheet ghost costume with a surplus of eyeholes. [[EpicFail It takes effort to botch something so simple that badly]], and is all the funnier for it. "I had a little trouble with the scissors."
* After Linus tells Sally about the Great Pumpkin:
-->'''Sally:''' [[SarcasmMode That's a good story.]]
-->'''Linus:''' You don't believe the story of the Great Pumpkin? I thought little girls always believed everything that was told to them. I thought little girls were innocent and trusting.
-->'''Sally:''' Welcome to the 20th century.
* When Lucy uses her sweetest voice to ask an adult for some candy she can give to "[her] stupid brother".
** When the kids are going door to door and getting their bags filled, you can actually see the rocks being tossed into Charlie Brown's bag.
* When Lucy goes bobbing for apples and comes up with one that has Snoopy on the other side and freaks out.
-->'''Lucy:''' Blecch! My lips touched dog lips!
* When Schroeder plays "It's a Long Way to Tipperary", "There's a Long Long Trail" and "Pack Up Your Troubles" in succession, and Snoopy's responding mood shifts from happy to sad accordingly...
** Culminating when Schroeder's rendition of "Roses of Picardy" provokes an "[=OwwwOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOhhhhhhhhh!=]" from Snoopy. [[note]]This scene was omitted from post-2013 ABC broadcasts to make room for ''WesternAnimation/ToyStoryofTerror''.[[/note]]
* Snoopy rising out of the pumpkin patch and causing Linus to faint, then disappearing immediately after.
* When the Great Pumpkin fails to appear, Sally gives Linus an epic dressing-down that culminates in her violently shaking him while hollering, "YOU OWE ME RESTITUTION!"
* Charlie Brown trying to console Linus:
-->'''Charlie Brown:''' Well, don't take it too hard, Linus. I've done a lot of stupid things in my life, too!
** He had inadvertently pushed Linus' BerserkButton when he said that. Linus proceeds to berate him all through the end credits.
* Violet forcing Charlie Brown to be a model.
** ...for a jack-o'-lantern.
* A brief visual gag with Lucy holding a copy of ''Magazine/TVGuide'' with [[http://oi65.tinypic.com/9931ph.jpg ''her own picture'']] on it.
* When Snoopy first sees Linus writing to the Great Pumpkin, the beagle starts laughing hysterically. Still laughing, he walks over to Lucy, who is holding the aforementioned magazine...and she promptly tosses him away like a rag doll.
* Right after the above occurs, Lucy walks up to Linus, glances in annoyance at the letter he's composing, then abruptly grabs and shakes her brother violently.
-->'''Lucy:''' NOT AGAIN! Writing a letter to a stupid pumpkin?!
* In the beginning, Linus, licking a huge sucker and is sticky as all get out, jumps in Charlie Brown's leaf pile and ends up with a leaf-covered confection and a "beard" of leaves. Quoth the leaf-bearded Van Pelt boy, "Never jump into a leaf pile with a wet sucker!"
* [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-vmhNFW1s This promo]] for a 2003 Canadian airing of the special.
* Lucy asking Charlie Brown to kick the football, holding a signed document promising that she won't pull it away. Charlie Brown runs up to kick the ball, convinced that Lucy won't pull it away. She pulls it away, and Charlie falls flat on his back.
-->'''Lucy:''' Peculiar thing about this document. It was never notarized.
* This [[http://www.roninpresscomics.com/wheres-the-great-pumpkin/ webcomic]] gives a pretty funny alternative explanation for why the Great Pumpkin never showed up.